PDA

View Full Version : cylinder works cylinders

sadinkins
01-12-2012, 05:59 PM
just bought new cylinder works big bore kit and put together with new crank and all the gaskets that come from the kit. cranked and run fine for 5 minutes and i shut it off until 2 hours later,went back out and cranked it again and it blowed so much smoke (steam) you could not see. took head off and could not see anything visualy wrong so i pulled the cylinder off to check and make sure i installed the dowell pin that water gos through to find out it was there but will slide freely up into the cylinder. the cylinder does not have a lip as the factory 1 does to keep it half in the cylider and half in the block. i still do not think this would let water on top of the piston so i copper coated the head gasket and put another head on it,re-torked the head and cranked it again.it ran good once the packing quit smoking from the water,went back out next day and doing it again. just wondering if any one else has had these problems because its putting a bad taste in my mouth on cylinder works and hot rod cranks. any help on what to look for other than just ordering a new big bore head gasket. thanks sean :( :mad:

Rich250RRacer
01-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty sure Cylinder Works are just over-bored and replated OEM cylinders. If so, you should see the displacement stamped cast into the cylinder (449cm). I spoke with Baldwin about these cylinders a while back and he strongly recommended not using them. Because they are just an over-bore, the thinner cylinder wall tends to cause overheating.

DnB_racing
01-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I'm pretty sure ylinder Works are just over-bored and replated OEM cylinders. If so, you should see the displacement stamped cast into the cylinder (449cm). I spoke with Baldwin about these cylinders a while back and he strongly recommended not using them. Becuase they are just an over-bore, the thinner cylinder wall tends to cause overheating. Ive seen quite a few failures come into my shop most with broken castings in the water jacket,and hair line cracks that leak when pressurized when hot
Ive seen them use both oem overbore and cylinder work overbore, all with the same result,

even with the ones that lasted I wasn't really impressed with the performance, if you do use them definitely keep compression low,

im my opinion if your looking for performance the best bang for the buck is a GOOD port job cam and high compression much better performance and reliability then a big bore

Ruf Racing
01-13-2012, 07:49 AM
You may have a cracked head. CW jugs are fine, been running a +3 for years, no issues. :D

sadinkins
01-13-2012, 08:39 AM
all ready switched heads and still the same

DnB_racing
01-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
You may have a cracked head. CW jugs are fine, been running a +3 for years, no issues. :D do you have a big bore?

and is it an oem overbore by CW or CW brand overbore?

as far as CW stock bore they are perfectly fine,no issues at all

but from biig bores from CW ive seen come through my shop, and friends shop there was roughly an average 1 out of 4 or 5 has failed within the first few hours, the ones that made it a few hours lasted quite well ... but the ones that failed CW replaced with no arguments

sadinkins
01-13-2012, 09:30 PM
called cylinder works and they said they have a casting flaw and do not have any good big bore cylinders right now. they were very nice but the only thing they have to offer right now is standard bore with 13.5 to 1 vertex piston. is any one running these,the vertex piston seems to be heavier than the je we have been running.

D Bergstrom
01-14-2012, 12:22 AM
When did Cylinder Works start boring and plating oem cylinders? First I have heard of this, I am pretty sure these are new castings. (Unless something changed just recently.) I know years ago, someone compared a CW cylinder to a oem cylinder and there were some differences, one was the walls were a little thicker. They are even a totally different color then oem. I was told the reason the cylinder has "449" on them is they are produced in china, and they made an EXACT copy of them with just a few minor changes.

I have been running the +3 big bore kit on one of my 450R's for years, has always had a +3 stroker crank in it also. Never had a problem.

Sadinkins, did CW say anything about when the cylinders with flaws were produced? I have a new one sitting here that I bought a few months ago, just haven't had a chance to install it yet. Think I will take a real close look at it before I install it.

Doug

sadinkins
01-15-2012, 09:49 AM
no cylinder works did not say but it was 06 up cylinders and it is where the big dowell pin gos in the bottom of the cylinder they do not have a lip to keep it from sliding up and blocking the water from flowing.

Ruf Racing
01-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing

is it an oem overbore by CW or CW brand overbore?

04/05 CW brand 97mm overbore. It has exceeded, expectations.
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee328/RideRed187/450R%20Pics%20Parts/73-3700.jpg

D Bergstrom
01-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by sadinkins
no cylinder works did not say but it was 06 up cylinders and it is where the big dowell pin gos in the bottom of the cylinder they do not have a lip to keep it from sliding up and blocking the water from flowing.

Thanks for the info, mine is a 04/05 kit, so should be good. Think I will give it a once over though before I install it.

Thanks,

Doug

mustangguy6703
01-18-2012, 08:38 PM
I have one with a hairline crack in the water jacket also. Im sending it to them to have them check it out. i dont have high hopes of them making it right since i was running a cp High compression piston. I guess i will find out next wednesday. The guy i talked to said they check out my kinda cases every wednesday so they must have a bunch a week to have to go over problem ones every week. i have to say ill never buy one again.

Fast470r
01-24-2012, 08:35 AM
So im going to assume the problems are with the 06-up being 98mm i was going to get one for my 05 and with a drg 97mm piston.

chad502ex
01-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Fast470r
So im going to assume the problems are with the 06-up being 98mm i was going to get one for my 05 and with a drg 97mm piston.

Great to hear!

FYI; I have one 97 and one 98mm left until the next batch order..

:cool: