PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Key Cutter?

dxcody
01-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Can someone make me a key for my honda Foreman? OR tell me how to hotwire it so i can put a toggle on it?

Or a website that can do it?

I can give you the ignition code.. I will buy it, but no where around here can do it for me.

Thompsons Motorsports in Terre Haute... The "premier" riding store for ALL YOUR RIDING NEEDS!!! cant do it.. Go figure...

Sorry for the Double post BTW.

In case you need to know its a:
1999 Honda Foreman 450ES

TCracin440ex
01-12-2012, 05:00 PM
what year foreman? also if you pull the ignition switch out of the dash it has the ignition code on it take it to the dealer and they can order you the exact key that you need. beats the hell out of cutting your wires to splice in a switch

IF it is a newer foreman 05 up i just so happen to have a brand new ignition switch with both keys for it laying here at my house that i only took out the package. if u want to go that route PM me

dxcody
01-12-2012, 05:30 PM
its a 99

the only dealer around here said they couldnt do it.

They are horrible to deal with anyways.

I really need to move it to the shed tomorrow, so i can get the mustang in the garage for all the winter weather finally coming to town.

And I REALLLY dont want to push that heavy mofo all the way to the shed.

TCracin440ex
01-12-2012, 05:58 PM
yea that dealer aint wortha damn then because i know they can. its been done before. or you could call a locksmith to get him to cut you a key for it but thats probally gonna cost you probally about 50 or more

Pipeless416
01-12-2012, 07:27 PM
^agreed. i think even ace hardware can do it. if you really can't find a place, i know owen's over here in charleston can do it, but it would be about 45 minutes from you.

finsteratv
01-12-2012, 07:39 PM
pull it with your 400..

dxcody
01-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
pull it with your 400..

WELLLLLLLL the 400 is currently under construction.. The motor is on my workbench with no topend, clutch or piston connected to the motor.. haha

and alright i will check ace and some local shops that might have a key cutter..

Or if nothing else i will go in town and find a thug that can hotwire it for me hahaha

300ex_#387
01-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Actually I dont think it is as easy to make those keys as you guys think. I believe they have to buy a special tool from honda that allows them to cut the keys. You would have to have the serial number from you quad and show them you have to title to prove it is yours. I think they have to put some sort of code from your serial number or from the ignition into the cutter for it to cut the right key. Ive talked to my dealer and to buy the cutter it is very expensive and how often is someone going to ask for a key to be cut anyway? You may be better off buying an ignition with key off ebay.

honda400ex2003
01-13-2012, 08:40 AM
time to start pushing lol

they should def be able to get you a key

steve

dxcody
01-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Thats a good idea... yea i will probably just buy a new ignition. Im tired of dealing with it.

I figure a used ignition on ebay will probably be pretty cheap anyways,.. Thank ya fellas!

fastredrider44
01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
It might not be cheap, but it'd be better than having one custom cut for it since your dealer can't handle it. I'd call another dealership, or start looking for the key. Til then, you're going to be pushing. It's not hard to hotwire one, just sucks to have to take the plastic off to get to it.

TCracin440ex
01-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
Actually I dont think it is as easy to make those keys as you guys think. I believe they have to buy a special tool from honda that allows them to cut the keys. You would have to have the serial number from you quad and show them you have to title to prove it is yours. I think they have to put some sort of code from your serial number or from the ignition into the cutter for it to cut the right key. Ive talked to my dealer and to buy the cutter it is very expensive and how often is someone going to ask for a key to be cut anyway? You may be better off buying an ignition with key off ebay.

your wrong. ive ordered a key blank from honda and had it cut by a local hardware shop because i had lost my spare so i was smart enough to order another blank to have cut to match. there is no special key cutter needed to cut them keys.

and like i said if he gets the code off of the igniton switch takes it to the dealer they can order him a replacement key that matches that ignition switch. i know its been done before

on a sidenote. check hondaatvforums.com or hondaforeman.com and see if anyone is parting out a 99 450es. IIRC there is somebody parting one out on the foreman forums.

300ex_#387
01-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
your wrong. ive ordered a key blank from honda and had it cut by a local hardware shop because i had lost my spare so i was smart enough to order another blank to have cut to match. there is no special key cutter needed to cut them keys.

and like i said if he gets the code off of the igniton switch takes it to the dealer they can order him a replacement key that matches that ignition switch. i know its been done before

on a sidenote. check hondaatvforums.com or hondaforeman.com and see if anyone is parting out a 99 450es. IIRC there is somebody parting one out on the foreman forums.

Actually I am not wrong. How are you supposed to get a key cut when you dont have one to cut off of? Sure you can order a blank from honda but what good does that do him when he has no key to match it up with? Honda makes a cutter but you have to have the code off your ignition to set the cutter up to cut the right key.Some dealerships have these cutters. Actually the dealership I go to has this "special cutter" Sure they can order a key with the ignition code but what do you think cuts them when they order them? :ermm: The "special cutter" that you say doesnt exist cuts them.

300ex_#387
01-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Try Travco Motorsport from Olney Illinois. They can get you a key cut with your ignition code and title as proof of owner. Its about 1.5 hours from Terre Haute. Might still be cheaper to get a used ignition of ebay though.

dxcody
01-13-2012, 05:20 PM
no title... of course. Just my luck. Looks like i gotta buy a new ignition 4sure!

TCracin440ex
01-13-2012, 07:09 PM
you wont need the title. i never had to show a title when i ordered stuff like that. just the ignition switch code and they can order what you need.

300ex_#387
01-14-2012, 01:56 AM
you wont need the title. i never had to show a title when i ordered stuff like that. just the ignition switch code and they can order what you need.

At Travco you WILL need the title. They do this so they arent making keys for stolen quads.

TCracin440ex
01-14-2012, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
At Travco you WILL need the title. They do this so they arent making keys for stolen quads.

IIRC they didnt start issuing titles to atvs and dirtbikes until like 2003 or 4ish. so his being 99 i doubt his quad ever had a title unless he had one made up for it which i doubt he did. so in his case the only thing he probally would need is the VIN.

cuz i know my 02 400ex didnt come with a title and my 99 recon i had never came with a title.

300ex_#387
01-14-2012, 08:02 AM
IIRC they didnt start issuing titles to atvs and dirtbikes until like 2003 or 4ish. so his being 99 i doubt his quad ever had a title unless he had one made up for it which i doubt he did. so in his case the only thing he probally would need is the VIN.

cuz i know my 02 400ex didnt come with a title and my 99 recon i had never came with a title.

Bill of sale.

selbygirl
01-14-2012, 10:53 AM
can you pick it , if it has tumblers in the in the lock you should be able to pick the lock , i used small allen wrenchs and picks before to pick locks .you have to push the tumblers down and hold them down and insert somting else,, a skiny pick or alen wrench . then turn it ... or if you can get a blank key , take the tumblers out of the lock and just use the blank key .. on most locks there is a long skinny clip pop that off and shake out the srings and tumblers ,, or call a lock smith ,they may be albe to locate you a key or just put a diferant cylinder in for you , can you bump the starter , with a screw driver..

CJM
01-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Just take the ignition to a locksmith, they can easily cut you the key. That or Id contact the site sponsor dealership and see if they can help ya.