PDA

View Full Version : Rut-Roh... Project Black has No spark. Please help

Benjithx
01-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi guys, Its been a long time.

I was riding Project Black a month ago and was coasting down a driveway slowly in gear. It's set up a little rich and pops and little while doing this. After one of the pops it just shut off... and now I don't have spark.

I tried the easy stuff; New plug, and even tried a different coil. No luck

I'm looking for some ideas on how to trouble shoot this.

Thanks everyone

Cheers!

DnB_racing
01-12-2012, 05:50 PM
first check all the connectors,

does it have a tether switch? if so disconnect it

to trouble shoot it you will need a multimeter. to check resistance readings of all components
all the resitance readings are all in the manual

unplug the handlebar kill switch, and try kicking to see if you have spark, it could just be a bad switch,

are you positive all grounds are good, and that your kicking it hard enough, try checking to see if you have spark by using a Philips screw driver and going to the block to see if its just a week spark..if its week then its a place to start

but either way your going to have to give more info on what youve tried so far and if there is anything that's been done to the quad,like tether or race harness or frame being painted, or got wet... anything that might have changed, cam or motor work anything no matter how minor might help us to isolate the problem

Benjithx
01-26-2012, 05:50 PM
The quad has a Trail Tech CRF setup using a CRF CDI box, re-wound stator, and lightened flywheel. The setup has a Reg/Rec box for the alternator and a small battery, but other than the fan... there are no extras on the bike (Lights, etc.)

There is a kill switch and I checked it with a multimeter and it seems to be working properly. I've been going through the wiring and can't seem to find any connection issues.

The frame is powder coated, but nothing has changed since it was running. Water shouldn't be an issue because it stopped working on a dry day.

The motor is a 480cc with the top end built by Dasa.

fastredrider44
01-27-2012, 09:23 AM
As bad as you don't want to hear this, it wouldn't surprise if the stator has gone bad. There are only so many things it could be, and the stators on all the Hondas (including CRF) do get weak. It's not exactly an easy thing to check for, but if you rule everything else out, then you know.