PDA

View Full Version : Back in the game

RideRed84
01-11-2012, 05:24 PM
I was out of the ATV scene for a few years after I sold my DS450X. Before that I had an 02 400EX.

I just picked up an 06 400EX from a buddy for $850. It's pretty low hours and he purchased it new but needs some TLC. Nothing serious just plastics, steering stem, battery and a tune up. I'm planning on putting some time and money in to it. I'm looking for some suggestions on bars and stems. Also what's everyone's opinion on running E85 with jets and a pipe? What size jets would I run?

Thanks

jkosakowski
01-11-2012, 05:30 PM
If you want new fenders go to motosport i just ordered a pair from them realy cheap compared to other places and you get free shipping. Just thought id let ya know....... But you cant go wrong with houser +1 with pro taper bars.

Stickman400
01-11-2012, 05:32 PM
I'm a firm believer in the Tag T-2/Houser stem combo. I've rolled mine several times down long hard packed dirt hills and they didn't even budge. Only thing that moved was the master cylinder pivoted down, and that was because I had a ASV rotator clamp on it.

JOHNDOE83
01-13-2012, 12:47 PM
Alot of people are running e85 on here, it would be a great idea to add some cheap power!

IMO there is only one way to jet and its the easiest and most reliable, www.jetsrus.com also recommends it.

Buy some large size jets, if stock is 148 I would buy sizes 180 through 215 in incriments of 5 and buy a 50 pilot this should be more then sufficient.

I would put in the 50p and move the needle all the way rich "bottom notch" on clip and put in the 215 main.

Then I would start it up and test ride, see if it sputters and wont rev on the topend, if it does back down the main jet in incriments of 5 till it fully revs out. Then you can adjust your a/f screw till it stops backfiring and popping if it even does at all.

I havent used e85 but if I were converting a stock piped ex to corn fuel, thats how I would do it!

kylehondarider
01-14-2012, 10:43 PM
I just bought an 05 400ex and I'm looking to convert to E85 too. Premium is too expensive (and also 15 miles away), while E85 is cheap and 2 miles away. Let me know if you convert and what size jets you end up using. Mine is pretty much stock with a White Bros Pipe. Also, there's quite a bit of information in this thread: Just switched to E85 (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=342067&perpage=10&pagenumber=1)

RideRed84
01-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the info guys!!

I just ordered a +2 stem and will probably go with the tag T2's.

Great info on the E85, thanks a bunch. I just got the bike out of the truck yesterday and started messing with it. It would idle for a while then die and wouldn't rev up with out sputtering and dying. I figure since I have to tear into the carb I might as well go to E85. I'll get pics up soon and update my progress.

Stickman400
01-17-2012, 01:11 PM
I'd prolly go with a normal height bar since you got a +2. Don't go for a "high bend" unless you want your bars quite high, or you're really tall.