PDA

View Full Version : NEED HONEST OPINIONS Swinger color?

Thumpin440ex
01-11-2012, 01:46 PM
I am going to pull the trigger here soon on a swing arm.. Not sure if its going to be a box( standard looking one) or a tubular style, but it is going to happen.. I have a bit of polished/chrome items on the bike. I have a polished brake stay, going to get a chrome axle with polished brake/sprocket hub.. Have springs and hubs getting done in a candy/anodized red now.. So will a black or chrome arm look best?? I am on the wing here.. I love the way chrome looks, holds up, but will it be over done out back if I do a chrome swinger??

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/002-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/003-1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex%20build/bike2.jpg

Hubs, springs are getting done in this color
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex%20build/007.jpg

Thanks John

ish416
01-11-2012, 02:04 PM
My vote is for a dark gunmetal grey / black flake swingarm.

It would go perfect with the chrome and your plastic.

Something like this but with a little less sparkle to it:

DragonGunner
01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
I like the frame an swingarm an a-arms to be the same color....your a-arms look chrome an chrome goes good with black...go with the chrome.

Thumpin440ex
01-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Yah I am totally on the fence here. This is prob the style arm i am going to go with.. still waiting on some info and such

Drfat400ex
01-11-2012, 03:24 PM
IMHO I think that putting it chrome would be slightly overdoing it in the back, if there was chrome all over it and not just lots on the back and hardly any on the front, I'd say go with chrome. But considering the setup you described I'd say black.

wolfe 21
01-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I too like the gunmetal gray suggestion, but given that was not an option I guess it doesn't matter.
If your gonna go with the tube style swinger, then chrome is probably what I'd choose. On the box style, stock swing arm I'd either go as cast aluminum or black for a more industrial look. All depends on what you like, it's your bike and you've gotta live with it.

James

DnB_racing
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
there is another option.... if you have the patience of a saint, you could polish your stock swinger

Stickman400
01-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Black. What color are your arms? I think they are chrome uppers and lowers right? I'd do black swinger and then black lowers but leave the uppers chrome. Or leave them both chrome. Either way I'd go black on the swinger. Gunmetal gray looks good but would look odd with the gloss black and chrome everywhere else. And if you get chrome I think it would be too much chrome. Just my honest opinion. I'm painting all my little stuff and major components right now also, I hope I made the right choices with the colors.

Thumpin440ex
01-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys for the opinions, keepem coming.. As far as colors, will def be chrome or black.. I want to stick to 2 main, 1 accent color ( candy/anodized red). I am leaning towards the black. I am also thinking with all the polished stuff on the back, that a chrome axle, arm, link,brake stay, air box, pipe and wheels might be a bit much and possibly tacky, but then again might look killer.. The A arms all chrome uppers/lowers, not going to change them out.. I want a good tuff look, but not over done.. Decisions suck. hahaha

Yes post some pics of yours also Stickman.. :D

John

Stickman400
01-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Alright Thumpin, here ya go. I should have it on the bike in the next week or so if you wanna wait. I'm still waiting on my rear shock and a-arms to come from my "supplier". And my link looks like dog **** compared to yours. Its more of a dull sheen then chrome.
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0428.jpg
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0429.jpg
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Quad%20Pics/IMAG0430.jpg

Thumpin440ex
01-11-2012, 11:17 PM
That does look good.. That is a stock swinger? Did you smooth it out before it was powdered or did they just lay it on that thick to get a smooth finish.. That really makes me want a black one.. Tuff looking

Thanks John

Dibble_Brandon
01-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
That does look good.. That is a stock swinger? Did you smooth it out before it was powdered or did they just lay it on that thick to get a smooth finish.. That really makes me want a black one.. Tuff looking

Thanks John

When I was looking at the pics of your 440 talking about polished side cases, i though to myself... a black swinger on ur quad would look amazing lol

Stickman400
01-12-2012, 12:26 AM
That's actually auto body paint sprayed on with a pain gun. My friend smoothed it with a pneumatic air sander, shot it with self-etching primer. Then a good thick coat of black and then another thick coat of clear. Then he wet sanded the spots you'd see the most with 600 and hit it with a buffer. Little more work than I thought I was gunna do, but it came out good. I think I'm gunna have it PCd if it ever starts getting chipped off. I was worried about getting powder inside the swinger where the axle carrier sits, but after seeing how good those guys are that PCs my frame I know they wouldn't have had a problem with that. I don't know if it would have came out as smooth though.

Thumpin440ex
01-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Ahh ok.. Well it looks pretty damn good. Auto paint will hold up decent, but not like powder does, simply because the way it is applied.. Little tip for ya.. Any time you paint something and there is a area you don't want paint to stick to just use grease in that area, wipe it out once the paint is dry.. ;)

John

Stickman400
01-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Lol, yeah, my sisters boyfriend is a body man at the local semi dealership and he PCs his stuff in a kitchen oven and he gave me that same tip this last Christmas. That works for PCing too, because the heat won't affect the grease.

Thumpin440ex
01-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Yes it should.. Some places use more heat then others, but most grease should hold up.. Other then that PCoaters, use plugs, not to mention it can always be sanded away..

John

riotact
01-12-2012, 01:36 PM
My number one vote would be chrome to match the chrome a arms.Next I would go silvervein.That is how mine is right now and doesnt look to bad,but I do want a chrome swinger to match.

slainwarrior
01-12-2012, 01:58 PM
i vote for a candy red to match the hubs.

Thumpin440ex
01-12-2012, 05:35 PM
I have thought about that but, i think since there are only some small parts that color that it would be over done..

John

Dibble_Brandon
01-13-2012, 01:14 AM
After looking it over again, I think polishing the aluminium swinger to match the bling of your tusk[?] aluminium front bumper would look AMAZING also.

So, My vote if for Black or *Polish* :p

JOHNDOE83
01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
I would do a glossy smokey grey, just so when your looking at the overall product it kinda sticks out but still goes with the scheme of the quad.

And by the way, I still to this day think your EX looks the sharpest out of every posted rebuild pic on this forum.

Thumpin440ex
01-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
I would do a glossy smokey grey, just so when your looking at the overall product it kinda sticks out but still goes with the scheme of the quad.

And by the way, I still to this day think your EX looks the sharpest out of every posted rebuild pic on this forum.

Damn man thanks for the kind words.. :)

John

KKiowaTJ
01-13-2012, 06:41 PM
It is a pretty sikk quad, Your time and effort is priceless to get it to where it is.

IMO Id have it powdered black chrome, Best of both worlds. But if not black would set it off. Good luck