PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with $1000?

badtothebone250
01-10-2012, 11:40 AM
I bought a 400ex for cheap knowing that it needed a top end. Upon closer inspection it may also need a bottom end rebuild as well? I would like to build a quad to race in the sport class in the local XC series. Quad is stock as a rock. I already have an almost new set of maxxis razrs ready to mount on so tires are taken care of. How would you guys spend $1000 on this quad? I can do all the work myself except machining.

cheater13
01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
1. Exhaust
2. Either stock or UNI filter
3. 450r carb
4. 450r shocks
5. Hot cam
6. Kill Switch
7. Nerf Bars
8. Handguards

Any of that would do. I really want to pick up some 450r shocks for mine.

dxcody
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Handguards
Skid Plate for under your frame and Swingarm
450R front shocks
exhaust just a slip on..
kill switch
UNI filter

Nerfs if you like running nerfs.. I personally love nerf bars
(*!MAKE SURE YOU HAVE HEEL GUARDS!*)

That would be about all i would do..

If you have some money left over buy a steering stabilizer.

cheater13
01-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Here's the nerfs i got on my 400ex and i love them:

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/161/737/-/16169/Tusk-Foot-Peg-Nerf-Bars-With-Heel-Guards/NERF+BARS

They actually went down 10 bucks since i bought them i think. But i'll give you a warning before and if you get them.... The instructions are not right and the bolts are all wrong. I had to use my own bolts to put the nerfs on my 400.

jkosakowski
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
^ how are the quality of those i have pro armor fat pegs and need a new set soon and dont want to pay 300 bucks again

ajw2685
01-10-2012, 03:05 PM
With $1,000 I would have put a down payment on a new machine and then used what you bought the semi-blown EX with to mod the new machine.

I know, NOT the answer you were looking for.

powerbomb400
01-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Remember for the stock class he will have to keep the motor stock. Nerfs he was can do and tires and maybe a slip-on. Not really sure of their rules.

badtothebone250
01-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't want to buy another quad, which is why I bought this one... half the fun is building it! Also no rules as far as motor mods in the local series... just has to be a 400cc or less machine. Obviously no 250r's are permitted.

jkosakowski
01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
A good list in my opinion is:

Nerf bars with metal heel guard

450r shocks

CCP steering stablizer

Sprocket and rotor guard and belly skid

Motoworks slip on

Kill switch

Cyrca pro bend handguards

JOHNDOE83
01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
For $1000 I would do a good reliable 440 kit and stage 2 cam with either a custom slip on or a regular decent one and a 05 42mm 450r carb.

Or, you could find a decent dirt bike and make a hybrid!

I actually have a 440 motor for sale.

finsteratv
01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
suspension/protection and a little power gainers...save the rest for tires and broken parts! haha

dan5
01-10-2012, 06:47 PM
From your post it sounds like you need to spend your money on engine parts first .

Piston
Rings
valves etc etc !!!
And other engine parts first before you start buying other mods
Does no good to have new shocks ,450 carb or steering stabilizer if you quad does not run
Build the engine right without skimping first and than do your hop up mods.

tbrackman84
01-10-2012, 07:22 PM
Swing arm skid for protection!
handguards are a must IMO
Aluminum heel guards (I hate nerf bars)
SOME KIND OF STEERING STABILIZER
check all bearings and bushings
Exhaust and jets for some more grunt
i think it's good to get a decent bumper as well to move the quad easier when necessary

ish416
01-10-2012, 07:23 PM
I bought a 400ex for cheap knowing that it needed a top end. Upon closer inspection it may also need a bottom end rebuild as well? I would like to build a quad to race in the sport class in the local XC series. Quad is stock as a rock. I already have an almost new set of maxxis razrs ready to mount on so tires are taken care of. How would you guys spend $1000 on this quad? I can do all the work myself except machining.

I think we need more info as to whether the bottom end needs redone or is it just the top end?

If it's your bottom end then get that fixed and figure out what you have left over.

If your just doing the top end and want to run in the 400 or under class then here is what I would do.

Since you already need a new top end, you will most likely need a new stock cylinder to keep you under 400cc.

So my list for racing:
stock cylinder
11:1 stock bore piston
aftermarket air filter and jets
oem xr400r or cometic gaskets
front shocks (kfx450, yfz450, trx450r or aftermarkets)
better cooling if racing >See these threads
Thread one (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=384244&highlight=cooler)
Thread 2 (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=446745&perpage=10&pagenumber=1)
Skid plate or rotor guard.

That should eat up your budget if you do your own work (except machining unless you can) and shop around for best prices.

I edited my post as I had decent tires in the list which you already have.

In that case, a used slip on exhaust and either a stg 2 hotcam or 450r carb.

I would lean more towards the carb first depending on prices on each.

badtothebone250
01-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Obviously the motor has to come out of that money... won't know about the bottom end until torn apart. Having never raced a 400ex do the frames have a "problem area" where they crack over time due to racing? I know my brothers 300ex kept cracking at the left side upper joint where the frame and subframe meet. We gusseted his frame this winter and was wondering if it would be worth it to have that done on mine while its apart? Also the series rules don't show a necessary displacement rule, they just state it is a class for 400ex, ltz400, kfx400, etc. So I was thinking a 11:1 piston with a 416 bore? Why would you choose the stage 2 over stage 1 cam or is it just a preference?

CJM
01-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by jkosakowski
^ how are the quality of those i have pro armor fat pegs and need a new set soon and dont want to pay 300 bucks again

Mine are a bit beat up, but I aint broke them yet. Had no issues with the bolts that came except they felt cheap so i used my own bolts.

Stage 2 cam all the way with an 11:1. Stage 1 is for stock basically.

cheater13
01-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by jkosakowski

I had the nerf bars since summer and they haven't caused me a problem yet. I rolled my 400 goin in 4th gear so i was going pretty fast and it rolled several times and it didnt do nothing to the nerf bars, just the handlebars got bent. And i drive through the woods and alot of sticks and all come up and hit them. They are still on strong.

But overall they're a good set of nerfs but you need to have your own bolts and don't listen to the instructions. It might of just been mine though but im not sure.

Quadracer667
01-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I wouldnt go with 450r front shocks in xc unless u plan on getting them rebuilt they r alot stiffer than the 400 shocks. i took them back off after 1 race.