PDA

View Full Version : 2000 400ex

01-09-2012, 12:32 PM
OK guys here's a question for you. I was riding Saturday and notice a noise coming from the rear end. It sounded like something was binding up. would your guess be the carrier bearings going bad? I checked the chain slack and it seems to be about right.

If I change the carrier bearing, what besides the carrier bearing itself needs to be changed?

DragonGunner
01-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Could be bearings....jack it up an see if the axle has sideways an up an down play. Another way is ride an lightly put hand on swingarm where the carrier is...ifs its hot its bad. Most kits come with bearing an new seals, or if you go with a new carrier is usually is all set with seals.

quadmanw
01-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Its prob the bearings. The best thing you could do on a 400 is put a lonestar carrier in it. $200 bucks and wont have to deal with it for a long time.

cheater13
01-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Yeah i think it's the rear bearings also. I had to replace mine and i put them all balls bearings in and they been holding up.

Before i knew it was the bearings, i was driving it and it was making a loud grinding-like noise.

When we took it apart to switch the bearings, my carrier was about completely shredded. But i got it fixed it so it was usable.

Just don't run the thing until you know because if your running it and it's making that sound, your carrier will be shredded like mine was. You're end up having to get a new one.