PDA

View Full Version : Pipe for 75 Wiley SS ???

fastrnrik
01-09-2012, 09:43 AM
We recently bought a Wiley 75 SS motor for our Cobra. It came with the pipe that had been run with it, which was said to be a "stock 70" pipe. Upon putting the motor in, I compared the pipe that came with the Wiley motor to the stock 50 pipe we had already and they look the same, except it was nickel plated and our 50 pipe was raw/unfinished. I've only ever had the Cobra 50 so I don't know if the stock 50 and 70 SS pipes are indeed the same or what?
Anyway, we got the motor in the bike and have started getting it dialed in. It runs very good with the pipe that came with it, but I was thinking of what the Trackside pipes would do? I see they have a "50" pipe and a "70/90" pipe listed. Is the 70/90 pipe for shifters?.....
Kind of thinking out loud, but my thought was if we are indeed using a stock 50 pipe now and it runs good, the the Trackside 50 pipe should be an improvement? Plus, as a bonus, I could run the Trackside 50 pipe on the 50 motor when we have to run a 50 class.
Anyone have any input?

qcitytile
01-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Trackside makes a pipe for a 50 and a different for the 70/90 SS. Only make custom pipes for the shifters. Also the stock 50 pipe is different than the 70, but I believe either will work for the 50.

Ryko racing
01-10-2012, 11:47 AM
He can make you one exact with dyno runs if you take him the quad. If you dont want to go that route the cobra 70 shifter 2 piece pipe is very good. ( a little soft off the bottom but screams on top.) ( with a single speed you dont let off anyway, Alex and Ryan used to hold them wide open and just stomp the brake they even held them wide open in the air. just keep a fresh slipper in em.

fastrnrik
01-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info. Can't really take the bike to him in Jersey. We're in FL LOL. Although a custom pipe would be awesome.

I may look around for a 70 shifter pipe, although I'd rather not lose any bottom end. We will be running against built CVT's so I need all the help we can on the bottom. That's why I thought the Trackside 50 pipe may help with bottom, even if it suffered slightly on top.

This motor also has a Tomar clutch in it. I've never messed with a Tomar, we've always ran the 3 shoe in the 50's. When I put the motor in, the clutch was engaging way too soon and it was boggy, much like a cvt with the stall set too low. I don't know exactly what rpm the clutch should engage, so I adjusted the Tomar so now it "hits" the way we like it, again like a cvt with the stall set right. It hits hards and keeps on pulling. I don't know if it's set "right" but it seems to hook up and rip.

He'll have no problem holding it open once we get it dialed in to his "liking". LOL

Ryko racing
01-11-2012, 07:27 AM
We ran a tomar 10 2008 as did szymborski and were very fast....
and virtually indestructable.

Paul at Wiley is really good at setting up the Tomars.

A lot of people have gone back to the three shoes and seem to be faster but way mroe maintenece.

Make sure you run the new style slipper clutch. Or Bud Maimones old style depending on the year of your quad.

he has to keep it wide open and keep the clutch locked to really make it fly. Practice riding it wide open and tapping the brake to slow down.

If he is a big kid Bud Has a Vented side cover kit that cools the oil about 50 degrees.

Ryko racing
01-11-2012, 07:28 AM
john Heath may have a extra trackside pipe. go to Heath racing .com

fastrnrik
01-11-2012, 07:58 AM
We will keep playing with it until we get it right. I'd rather not run the 3 shoe just because of maintenence. Those things are a pain. I'm not interested in buying an endless supply of shoes and stacks and clutch fluid by the case.... I'd rather deal with a cvt than that LOL
If I can get the Tomar to work good, we'll put a new disc in it and run that, or I'm thinking of switching to the new 2 disc Stryker clutch. It's supposed to work very good and be nearly bulletproof too.
I wasn't able to look at the slipper because I don't have a Tomar puller...LOL, so I torqued it down so we can play with it. I will make a puller or order the one from Tomar today. I have been told I can run the old style slipper with the newer brass discs instead of the old "papers" and they work good? If not I'll just update the slipper to the 09 style.
Thanks for the info, I will call Heath today or tomorrow. I need to order some stuff anyway.

Ryko racing
01-12-2012, 09:33 AM
WE RAN THE OLD STYLE WITH BRASS DISCS WITH GOOD LUCK AND RYAN WEIGHED 110 LBS THEN.

WE STILL CHANGED THE FLUID EVERY RACE THOUGH .

I WILL RECOMMEND THE VENTED CASE, USE GM AUTO TRAC DIFFERENTIAL FLUID ( GM DEALER SELLS IT).

Troy szymborski hooked us up with it and we never burnt a clutch or slipper. its cheaper than bike fluid also.

you may have to machine the slipper cover when you install the brass slippers.( also Bud Mamone sells a stronger spring washer for the old stule slipper that really holds it tight. Buds exotic motorsports in ohio. He used to own Cobra and knows the little tricks.)

Trust me and buy the vent kit................