PDA

View Full Version : Broken Back

Titanium
01-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Ok, so it turns out i rode with a broken back for a little over a year. I finally went to the doctor and he said it was to late obviously for surgery. He told me i needed to stop riding motocross but if i remember right there's quite a few others out there who have been in the same situation as me. As long as its healed like he says that means i'm at just as much risk as a person with a normal back correct?:confused: some advice would be greatly appreciated. im gonna be pretty depressed if i cant ride anymore. especially if i cant play on the freestyle ramp anymore.:ermm:

rageatvlawson8
01-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Well if he said its too late for surgery then that to me sounds like it might not have healed correctly. It might in fact be healed, just not correctly. Didnt say why you got checked out but Im guessing its because you have been in pain. If so then another clue to it not healing correctly and that does put you at more of a risk then a normal healthy strong back. Not gonna tell ya what to do cuz i dont know what i'd do......

SRH
01-09-2012, 11:24 AM
i swear i cracked my back in 05 at unadilla, then in 08 broke it bad

if you dont want to listen to your doc its not that bad, the parking is great and who doesnt mind wheeling there *** everywhere

KXRida
01-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Broke mine back in 2010. Broke T7, T9, and L1 then Compressed T7-L1. I did have a kyphoplasty done on T7, T9, T10, and L1. A kyphoplasty basically just injects a synthetic cement into the vertebral body to build it back up. I really haven't had too many issues from it but over the next year or so I would be sore as hell after riding. Ended up suffering a mild traumatic brain injury quite a few times as well, which is more or less a high grade concussion. After dealing with weeks of nausea, blurred vision, trouble concentrating, etc I decided riding wasn't worth it and honestly I haven't had any issues with my back. The most I ride now are utilities and I really did lose interest in the sport. I may get a 400ex or something to run some trails with in the future, but my days or racing bikes are over.

KKiowaTJ
01-09-2012, 07:29 PM
I broke mine when i was 20 and still ride. Until i CANT throw a leg over or am wheelchair bound i will ride. I exploded the lumbar area along with two disc's that were flat as well.
Went to the doc, He said we can do surgery or lay flat, I ended up laying around for 8 months. Four months later i was back on and riding with some pain, But not enough to stop me.

I also had my left knee blow out completely, Took 52k, alot of titanium screws, plates, other hardware and some cadaver ligaments to put it back to iffy. Range of motion is -15 to 120 if i stretch it and work it for a bit. The only thing that held my leg on was skin. That one required air care which was $$.

He too said to stop riding, But I'm just too stupid or would rather take a chance at what i love to do. The only bones i haven't broke is my pelvis and neck but if it happens it happens.
Thats the price you pay to do something you love. Its an extreme sport and takes a positive attitude and strong will to keep it in your head its not over and i will ride again.

It really comes down to what YOU want to do and the risks YOU will be taking. IMO get as much safety gear you can/can stand and work your way back into it and dont expect too much so your not disappointed.
If you want to listen to doc's, Family etc you wont ride. Keep head strong and the goal of riding again and you will in due time. Good luck either way you choose

Q4L_450r
01-10-2012, 03:37 PM
broke mine January of 2009. compressed t6, t7, and t8. Doc said surgery was kind of pointless and that they would heal all into sort of one big vertabrae. 7-8 months later i was riding again pain free. I was only 16 at the time though :cool: which im sure played a part of my healing. I im still around a full inch shorter than i was 3 years ago ...

sly400ex
01-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Just like above, I broke T6 T7 T8, and slight shatter of another one.....I was riding 4 mos later and haven't looked back (no pun intended). That was nearly 16 years ago and I was fortunate to have very little pain afterwards......I do occasionally hurt my lower back and it lasts for a week or so. Did he mention anything about having anything fused together? As long as nothing seems to be bothering you, I would think you should be OK.

dirtrider77
01-11-2012, 05:19 PM
broke t4 t5 t6 t7 last halloween...said surgery or lay flat so i did like the guy above and laid around forever ha.

the last few months ive rode some trails and stuff on bikes and quads. doesnt seem to make my back hurt any more than it does normally.

i gave up racing, because if you race you will wreck...and i dont want to risk being paralyzed...got too close last time and a couple buddies are far worse than me...

id say start riding and just gradually increase how hard you ride, what you do...when it hurts bad, back off

Titanium
02-01-2012, 06:38 PM
I dont know what i'm going to do yet. I figure i will stop racing but i think im going to keep riding FMX. That way i dont have to worry about getting pinned in corners or getting landed on. If i've been riding on it up until i saw the doctor i dont see what the point of stopping now is. Even though from racing my back is in the shape of an S, i have a plate with 11 pins holding my collar bone together, i've blown my right knee out and have had 8 concussions now, some would say thats enough evidence to step away from the quad. For some reason its just not enough yet. I know i'm ate up. I'm only 21 and i've been riding since i was 3 so its kind of imprinted on me as a "way" of life. I've gotten a long ways to where i am today and i dont know what i would do without it...i think i'm going to see another back doctor for a second opinion.

Tommy Warren
02-01-2012, 07:19 PM
start saving up for that wheelchair now...you'll need it soon enough.....some people just don't know when to quit:rolleyes:

blaster12s
02-01-2012, 07:53 PM
with age comes a cage.

BoneStockHonda
02-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
As long as its healed like he says that means i'm at just as much risk as a person with a normal back correct?

Wrong. Fractured my neck a little over a year ago and the doctor told me no riding for a year and even after that the area that was fractured can still potentially be weaker and more prone to injury. I'm not letting that stop me though.

Titanium
02-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
start saving up for that wheelchair now...you'll need it soon enough.....some people just don't know when to quit:rolleyes:

Its sad but i'll admit i have every reason in the world to stop. But the love for it is like heroin to a drug addict.

KKiowaTJ
02-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Titanium
Its sad but i'll admit i have every reason in the world to stop. But the love for it is like heroin to a drug addict.

Whats "sad" about it? Doing something you love and is in your blood is no where near sad. Give it time and dont put too much thought into riding, Put it into a full rehab and therapy.
Nothing compares to racing, But free riding/trail riding can be just as fun. You can roach a portion out or log miles of WOT terrain. Just take your time and you will be able to ride. Good luck

DP #000
02-03-2012, 01:44 PM
I broke my neck April 2010 from a shock malfunction. Was in a neck brace the entire summer. My first race back was in september 2010, first lap got landed on.
I switched over to cars last year. So happy i made that decision.
Like blaster12s said "with age comes a cage" even though im only 19 ha.

TheAwesomehonda
02-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Dang I never relized how many people broke there back quad racing and just riding.. Its got to suck and this is coming from a person who has only ever broken a finger.

SRH
02-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren

lol , well life is short, you can wake up everyday and there i a chance it can happen , why live your life in fear, i mean really what are you preserving yourself for ? old age?

Tommy Warren
02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by SRH
lol , well life is short, you can wake up everyday and there i a chance it can happen , why live your life in fear, i mean really what are you preserving yourself for ? old age?

i guess if you have nothing to live for than keep riding...i have too many people in my life who rely on me to take stupid chances.....

ngates788
02-03-2012, 06:24 PM
live to ride ride to live :devil: