PDA

View Full Version : Slipper Clutch Torque Question

JustinBoots
01-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Can anyone tell me how many ft lbs to torque the nut on the slipper clutch to? I am changing from the sprocket style clutch to the slipper clutch in the CVT and am not sure what it should be torqued to for a 50cc bike with 50lb rider. i used to torque the sprocket to 95 ft lbs.

Hetrick Racing
01-09-2012, 10:17 AM
My Slipper ?
(wich is any from Max RPM,GForce ect)the only one diff is Carters

#404's Dad
01-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by JustinBoots
Can anyone tell me how many ft lbs to torque the nut on the slipper clutch to? I am changing from the sprocket style clutch to the slipper clutch in the CVT and am not sure what it should be torqued to for a 50cc bike with 50lb rider. i used to torque the sprocket to 95 ft lbs.

To answer your question, I use a cordless 3/8 impact on mine, I just run it up tight, If everything is correct on the one you have the spring washer should be flat when tight, not concaved or domed, no specific torque setting, been doing it like that since 2008 with no issues. Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Hetrick Racing
My Slipper ?

I have a little over 200 of mine out there as well, been using them since 2008 and up until this year was selling them through Fierce Powersports and WRH Racing, Justin from Max RPM now has a Patent on the slipper clutch so we no longer sell them.

Mine was the first one to have a one piece splined hub rather than the ones with the stock splined section being welded into another piece mine were also the only ones that could be used with no shims that I seen and I think I also did the center hat with no holes for line up pins first as well as it was not necessary to have any of that.

Zero Issues and Zero Failures that I am aware of.

I decided to build our own after spending $500+ (way more than what that part should have cost) on one only to find it really wasn't right, shimming needed, line up holes, clearance issues, ID sizing off on drum and so on, I didn't invent them that's for sure, Suzuki did that, You modified them to work on our quads which is fricken awesome and has saved a ton of people $$ on trans parts, I think I just made them even better, maybe even perfected them.

I also sold them for $200-$300 less than you guys and still made good profit on them.

We now recommend the Max RPM ones, They are very reasonably priced and have all the issues worked out like ours did.

JustinBoots
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
My Slipper ?

Yep...that one I ordered from you and received last week.

JustinBoots
01-10-2012, 05:16 AM
Guess I'll play it by ear and tighten till the cone washer is flat. Find it hard to believe there's not a specific torque rating for that nut considering it directly affects when the friction pads will slip protecting the transmission.

djdfairchild
01-10-2012, 08:54 AM
im with cory, a 3/8 impact run it tight its never failed and never broke a tranny. i've seen a couple and cory's is the best and simpliest design. didn't hetrick give you info on what to do? make sure your taking the glaze off the pads every moto.

JustinBoots
01-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Ok, I'll try it...my impact is a 1/2" drive cordless Dewalt so hope I don't overdo it wiht this approach. :) Box didn't have instructions in it, just the parts and two CVT gaskets for spacing. I should try giving Michelle a call back and ask. I had her on the phone a couple times yesterday ordering parts for a customer and kept forgetting to bring it up.

djdfairchild
01-10-2012, 10:39 AM
i run my down till the impact clicks and mine is also apart every moto
be carefull with the 1/2" impact you will strip the nut. but it should just be the nut, its softer the the threads. they gave you gaskets for the cover? i dont know what that would have to do with it, i dont run a gasket on mine.
i have the 1/2" impact but i also have a 3/8 for the clutch and variator, you may want to invest in one, i bet you can buy one cheap on ebay without the battery and use the ones from your 1/2"

JustinBoots
01-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I think some CVT covers rub on the slipper clutch bell so that's why they sent them. I know of it happening to one of my fellow racers and I see some are selling billet spacers now for the CVT as well. Sounds like it is only an 1/8" thick or so, but not sure if it is necessary on mine yet or not.

#404's Dad
01-10-2012, 01:26 PM
I run no Cover Gasket on ours, never have, my slippers always cleared with no issues. Very user friendly design, no shimming, no grinding down sockets so they fit in the Hat or anything, simply install and Race.

At a National Race I do pull them apart and replace Friction Discs and Scuff the Drum after each Moto, at Local Races I will run it all weekend and never even check the Nut in most cases.

It can be done with the 1/2 Dewalt but ya need to be careful, just tap the trigger and let go as soon as it clicks, had to use one of those Dewalts until I finally bought the 3/8 after the cost came down on them, never had any problems.

Not trying to start chit in my last post, been trying to quit smoking so been a bit grumpy the last few days. No disrespect meant towards anyone.

JustinBoots
01-10-2012, 01:38 PM
No offense taken by me....heck I had to go back and read your post again to see if I could take offense after a second read. :D I'll be looking for an 18-volt 3/8" impact now. Thanks for the info and feedback.

#404's Dad
01-10-2012, 01:54 PM
No offense taken by me....heck I had to go back and read your post again to see if I could take offense after a second read. :D I'll be looking for an 18-volt 3/8" impact now. Thanks for the info and feedback.

I thought the same thing but it ended up being cheaper to buy a whole Dewalt kit for me, got the 3/8 impact, a drill driver, light, 4 batteries, charger and bag for just a tad over $300 on the Mac Tools truck, only 12v though but its lithium ion or whatever the new good batteries are, at the time just the 18v 3/8 impact from Dewalt was well over $300, Hope you have better luck at finding one cheap than I did.

Hetrick Racing
01-10-2012, 02:47 PM
Ok thats funny the reason I asked is because some people use the cut down nut when they copied my product.
So I didnt want him to strip it

We have a spacer on our site that works better than the gaskets as well.

By the way I made the first one in 06 sorry about your luck.

It is much easier to take a product and change it than to make it yourself

selbygirl
01-10-2012, 03:45 PM
i thought suzuki made the first slipper clutch for the cvt

chunky0071
01-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by selbygirl
i thought suzuki made the first slipper clutch for the cvt

Yelp Your right on that one then we made that fit these well not we but you know!

FISH ON!
01-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Guess I'll play it by ear and tighten till the cone washer is flat. Find it hard to believe there's not a specific torque rating for that nut considering it directly affects when the friction pads will slip protecting the transmission.

The spring washer is applying the force to the discs so once you have it drawn all the way in you are good. Like someone alse mentioned, tightening the nut to much will strip it and that torque isn't what is applied to the slipper discs..............the spring washer performs that function.

Hetrick Racing
01-11-2012, 06:37 AM
You people have NO RESPECT.

JustinBoots
01-11-2012, 06:45 AM

I'm lost?

nastynotchback1
01-11-2012, 08:03 AM

Who has be disrespectful to you???????

JustinBoots
01-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Maybe the Admin can delete this post. I got all the info I needed and I'd hate for it to have stirred up trouble on my behalf.

#404's Dad
01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Ok thats funny the reason I asked is because some people use the cut down nut when they copied my product.
So I didnt want him to strip it

We have a spacer on our site that works better than the gaskets as well.

By the way I made the first one in 06 sorry about your luck.

It is much easier to take a product and change it than to make it yourself

Boy Rich you sure do want credit for inventing this damn thing, seems every time someone talks about one you have to throw your arms up in the air screaming that you made it or its yours or whatever.

Fact is you did not invent the slipper clutch for a mini quad, SUZUKI did this on their LT80 many many moons ago and yes as you stated it is much easier to take a product and change it rather than make it yourself just as you did with Suzuki's LT80 clutch and kudos to you, we all greatly appreciate it and like I said you have saved many people money on transmissions and cases.

Not sure what everyone else that made these clutches done differently than you, all we done was take a product and make it what we wanted it to be, in my case it was a better Slipper Clutch than what was out there for our quads, the one I paid huge money for had entirely too many issues for me to trust on my kids quads (cover spacing, different hat depths, drum ID, drum width, welded in splines, shimming required, pain in the *** line up pins in a hat that's ID was way too small and required a socket to be ground down and so on) so I addressed each and every issue and made a 1/2 dozen for our own quads and then people seen them, word got out it was a good product and was reasonably priced so we made more and more and more.

No Respect??? I'm sorry if you feel that way but you're on the same boat here claiming all the slippers are yours and the only one different is Carter's, first off that's not true and second none of them are yours, they are Suzuki's we all just modified them, you included.

You do deserve credit for sure, credit for having the idea of taking the LT80 clutch and modifying them to fit ours and making it happen.

I'm not trying to be an *** here and if you want give me a call @ the shop 866-461-3732 or message me and I'll give ya my cell.

skyeryder
01-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Maybe the Admin can delete this post. I got all the info I needed and I'd hate for it to have stirred up trouble on my behalf.

I probably shouldn't even say anything, but it's not you it happens alot on this mini part of the forum, don't let it keep you from asking questions here, there are alot of great people here that love to help including all the guys on this post.

#404's Dad
01-11-2012, 11:30 AM

You have not stirred up any trouble at all, If anyone did it was prolly me for trying to clear up the slipper clutch facts rather than just keeping my mouth shut about it like I always have.

Hetrick Racing
01-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Mr Folkers I apologize to you.

And I agree this is a good site to get info it is also a good place to hear a lot of opinions.

I guess I am wrong as well in the mini world you dont design anything you just copy it,lol

I do not want credit for anything.

I have to ask if I wouldnt have released the slipper for the new style CVT would have anyone else.

Good question and I am sure someone will say yes,,, lol thats what makes it good

#404's Dad
01-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I have to ask if I wouldnt have released the slipper for the new style CVT would have anyone else.

Prolly not Rich which is why I said . . . .

Originally posted by #404's Dad
You do deserve credit for sure, credit for having the idea of taking the LT80 clutch and modifying them to fit ours and making it happen.

but it doesn't mean they are all yours and only one is different.

selbygirl
01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
sorry for bringing up the suzuki thing , you can tell every one on hear has that racing competive side to them .. but when the race is over.. most of us all sit at the same table for diner or parking spot at the track ,, take care guys

Hetrick Racing
01-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Ok
I have a few things to say.
Just so everyone understands what my problem is.

In 1991 I built the first lt80 for my nephew,well myself and his dad my brother same person.
At that time we knew absolutely nothing about mini atvs .
So I worked very hard to figure these things out and when Joel started racing in 96 we won 2 local track championships.
After that we won our first mini national championship in 2000 and many many more to date.
In 1999 we started working on the etons and in 2000 we grabbed the Kasea brand and started having parts made
Pipes ,chain tension ,a-arms,dual a-arms ,swing arms, got dura blue to build axles, pep and elka for shocks pretty much everything from a full sized atv was my goal ,or at least as close as we could get and lots and lots of engines.
If I would not have done this you would not be able to call these companies today and just order parts,they didnt exist for mini atvs.
Then started working on the ATVA on getting some classes for kids to race.And that took 6 years,and there still not great just good,lol.
I am an engineer by trade I design things and sometimes change a current design to suit the demand of the time period.
I do not want credit for anything but what I do want is respect thats why I said that.I know suzuki used the first slip style input drive,but did you know it turns the opposite direction and the amount of bell pressure is way less,does this matter with the parts we used, yes,that why the bells change shape or color depending on shoe apply pressure,,, and apply pressure using the cup for a gauged tension is different as well.

I did not have to do any of this
I DID IT FOR THE KIDS !!!

Making the quads safer and more reliable was the entire goal.

Most of the people that have a comment were still in high school when I was building mini atvs.

So it does irritate me sometimes about certain things,although I didnt get upset when ZTR claimed they made the first chain tension device,I clearly had made that and sold it to JL long ago.
Please accept my apology for my ignorance and lack of respect to all of you as well,,
Racing is my life hope you understand

don bassani
01-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Hey Rich, I think most people on here know what you have done for the sport.When you talk to people that have been doing this race thing for a long time they say YOU were the original mini quad guy .When I got in this sport (2005) ,I had alot of crazy ideas to make these quads work better. Trial and error until I started talking to you. When I called and gave you my idea you would always tell me you tried it and it didnt work because... so I would move on to next idea.I appreciate all your knowledge and the stuff you build. You certainly have earned my respect !!!!!!! Thanks for all you do. Don Bassani