PDA

View Full Version : chain problems

cburden91
01-09-2012, 02:15 AM
I have a 97 300ex we went riding some trails Friday and it did fine for the first part of the day, after lunch time I was climbing a hill and the chain starting slipping so bad it wouldn't move, i figured it was just loose so we tightened it up and about an hour later the same thing . It sounds like its slipping on the front sprocket, the rear is worn down pretty bad and it chipped a few teeth off the front looks fine. At first I thought I just needed a new sprocket and chain but the more I think about it I don't know why the chain would keep loosening up so quickly, now it gets loose just riding down the drive way. Are they supposed to have chain guides stock because mine doesn't and would it help to get one after the new chain and sprocket?

smr
01-09-2012, 06:35 AM
check your swingarm for cracks. 300ex is very bad about cracking where the bolt threads into the frame. This will allow the carrier to spin inside and loosen up the chain.

It's an easy fix. Just remove the carrier, spread the flange open and weld the crack.

cburden91
01-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Can you post a pic of the area you are talkin about?

smr
01-11-2012, 05:57 AM
don't have a 300ex anymore. we sold our last one about a year ago.

You have 2 bolts you loosen to tighten the chain. Were these bolts thread into the swingarm look for cracks on the bottom side. It want be much of a crack but any at all will cause this problem. It's much easier to see if you remove the skid plate and stand the quad on the grab bar.

I would spread the flange open with a screwdriver, weld the crack up and this will fix the problem.

b0rn c0nfused
01-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Something else it could be. Check to see if your bearing carrier is bad, mine went bad and I was having the same problem you are.

cburden91
01-12-2012, 12:49 PM
How can you tell for sure if its bad?

smr
01-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi center it on something and check your axle for play.

did you look for the cracks?

b0rn c0nfused
01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Couple ways to do it actully. You can ride it for a while then feel the swing arm where the carrier is, if its hot its bad, not hot, good. Or you can jack the back of your wheeler up and see if there is any play in the axle. Try moving it up and down and side to side, should be no play in it.

cburden91
01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
The first thing I did was check for play in the axle it has none at all and I haven't been able to check for cracks yet because it won't stop raining long enough when I'm not at work

b0rn c0nfused
01-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Any update???

Y2daT420
02-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Check the swing arm berrings for play as well where it connect to the frame.