PDA

View Full Version : Are there shock resi replacements?

axellmusic19
01-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Hello,

I purchased a pair of brand new shocks from a friend for very cheap and they are no-name brand shocks but still have nice bodies, springs, and resi's but unfortunately the canisters that hold the extra fluid and have the air pocket in the bottom got damaged. Is there anybody who sells thread-in canisters for replacement and if so how much might they be? I would love to get them back up and running but they are leaking oil so I can't run them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

dustin_j
01-09-2012, 09:51 AM
As long as they aren't cast in reservoirs, like stock shocks, they can be replaced. Most shock service centers, or the manufacturer, can replace the reservoirs. The shock will need to be serviced during this replacement as well. What brand shock?

axellmusic19
01-10-2012, 08:22 AM
I should mention that they are threaded as far as the attachment of the reservoir.

dustin_j
01-10-2012, 10:38 AM
I figured they were threaded. I just wanted to state that for the benefit of others who may read it. If they are less popular shocks, try contacting the company directly to see if they will sell you a reservoir, or give a quote on replacing it. Anyone who services shocks can service your shock and replace the part if they can obtain it.

Would you mind posting a picture? I'd be interested in checking it out. Depending on the damage, you may only need a few parts.

axellmusic19
01-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Good thinking :) Yea I will try to find out who I can get support from as far as factory. And I will be shooting photos in the near future to get a better idea out there of what it looks like. I think many people may have this problem and there isn't a solution currently available. Maybe.

dustin_j
01-10-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm very interested now, haha. PM me if there is any way I can help.

axellmusic19
01-12-2012, 04:39 PM
The picture is just one from a long time ago when I raced woods instead of MX. I was too hopeful and thought that the inside of the a-arm joints would not reach the canisters with higher presser. I was wrong and so now there is a dent pushing up the outside corner on the bottom of each canister. They worked well then they did but certainly not as long lasting as they could have.

dustin_j
01-13-2012, 07:44 AM
I see what you mean now. There really isn't a lot you can do except check to make sure your a-arms should travel that much. If the shock compressed lengths are too short, external spacers could be installed to correct your travel; this would also keep the arms from contacting your resevoirs. If the a-arm travel is correct, you could try to find a shorter resevoir (to replace with), or switch to a different shock with a remote resevoir. If the shock uses a floating piston (instead of a bladder), you could possibly have the new resevoir shortened. I hope this helps.

axellmusic19
01-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Yea the arm travel was right but not the mount positions. I now have laeger arms and have plenty of room and now run customized yfz shocks. I'd still like to have these as backup or for another machine. I wonder if there are other shocks that use a thread in system for the piggy back setup.

dustin_j
01-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Most aftermarket shocks use a thread in resevoir. If there is a local shock rebuilder, you can take your shock to him and he may be able to find you a replacement. Otherwise, post a picture of the damage to yours, there may be a way to fix it and the problem at the same time. Can you also take a close up of the bottom of the resevoir; is this held in with a snap ring or does it look to be threaded? Where did you get these shocks?