PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!! Clutch problems??

400exHondaRider
01-08-2012, 02:19 PM
So i just went out to ride around a little bit, and when i shifted into first gear the bike kinda wants to roll forward, while im holding in on the clutch?? Also if i give it a little gas while in first and holding clutch it wants to roll a little bit more. Anybody know whats causing this to happen? Any help is much appreciated.

Jake250ex
01-08-2012, 02:48 PM
adjusting your clutch would probably fix it. you can do it up on the perch or on the side of the motor. to do it on the perch (the easies way) just thread the cable holder a little farther out and draw the nut down

dsaint77
01-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Clutch is partially engaged. Take the slack out of the cable!

Well check for slack.

Does the 450r pressure plate have an adjustment on it like a banshee?

The clutch is not bad and nothing is broken. It's just out of adjustment.

Adam

rageatvlawson8
01-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Ya its out of adjustment BUT more then likely its out of adjustment because its worn out. These things dont get out of adjustment for no reason. My guess would be plates are worn or possibly the pressure plate is worn if plates have been worn for awhile. Pull pressure plate out and I bet its grooved

400exHondaRider
01-09-2012, 04:22 PM
ok i will check and see if its grooved, if it is what would i need to buy to make everything run smooth again? This all happended after i installed power mad hand guards and had to move the clutch perch, so could that be the cause and really nothing is wrong with the clucth?

dsaint77
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Read my post. It is out of adjustment. The clutch is not disengaging. It needs to be adjusted. You messed it up installing your hand guards. If the clutch was bad and worn friction plate it would slip in high gears under load.

Or go out buy a bunch of parts waste money. Readjust the cables putting it back together and have it not work right again :)

Adam

400exHondaRider
01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by dsaint77
Read my post. It is out of adjustment. The clutch is not disengaging. It needs to be adjusted. You messed it up installing your hand guards. If the clutch was bad and worn friction plate it would slip in high gears under load.

Or go out buy a bunch of parts waste money. Readjust the cables putting it back together and have it not work right again :)

Adam
Sorry, i did go out and try to adjust it both on the part by the engine and on the perch. I spent maybe 10 min trying to get it adjusted, i adjusted it all the way out and all the way in and inbetween, i have it adjusted way off, now it hard to get the bike into neutral and is very hards to shift with clutch engaged? its being really weird, i might just have to work with it a little bit more?

dsaint77
01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
If It was me this is what I would do

1. Tighten in the Clutch cable adjustment in all the way to the perch.

(There should be play in the cable so that you can pull the cable out of the clutch adjustment)

Step 1 (http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/acg1977/SAM_0071.jpg)

2. Adjust the cable at the motor (This is your gross cable adjustment) adjustment to remove all of the slack. At this point I would check to see where my clutch engagement was by starting the motor, putting it in gear to see if the clutch is disengaged.

Step 2 (http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n575/acg1977/SAM_0073.jpg)

3. If the clutch still has the same problem you are going to have to pull the clutch in with one hand, then pull the clutch cable out of the perch with the other hand as you are letting go the clutch. Adjust your fine adjustment on the perch and try it again.

Now, I like my clutch cable tight, but I like the handle floppy. (Does that make sense?) You almost never want the clutch cable with tension on it at all times. (Clutch cable is tight, handle is tight and not floppy) This will can cause the clutch to slip because there is tension on the pressure plate.

When your clutch friction discs are bad they are going to slip under load (Peak of the power curve) in 3rd and 4th, when the motor is pulling hardest.

If your Gross adjustment (Step 2) is adjusted all the way out, and your Fine adjustment (Step 1)is more than halfway out your clutch cable is bad and should be replaced because it is stretched out and there is no adjustment left.

Let me know if there are more problems and we can get you fixed. My photo for step two is bad because there is no motor in the bike and I cannot show you it, I am sure that you can figure it out.

Adam

400exHondaRider
01-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the tips! I have been watching the LSU vs Bama game so i will do this tom after work! Thanks.!