PDA

View Full Version : new guy with 400ex

oldschoolsdime9
01-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new from dayton ohio. I have a 99 400ex. Its sat for quite a few years and I am in the process of getting it back on the trail. The petcock seems to not shut off while in the off position. Is there a fix for this, or do I just need to buy one?

Duf6
01-07-2012, 08:50 PM
probley better to get a new one.

oldschoolsdime9
01-07-2012, 08:56 PM
thats kind of what I thought too. :D Thank you for the quick response. Is there anything in particular I should watch for on this bike? Its all new to me!

01boneless
01-07-2012, 09:36 PM
new one

Drfat400ex
01-07-2012, 09:46 PM
If you live somewhere cold a 42 pilot is a good idea but if not dont bother. And if u do just make sure you start it just right or the plug will foul and thats a b**** if you dont have the tool kit.

oldschoolsdime9
01-07-2012, 10:17 PM
man i need that plug wrench bad. I pulled the plug to adjust the valves on friday, and it was terrible getting the plug out!

Drfat400ex
01-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Well thats one thing to do is run down to honda and get a wrench. Just dont store it in the tool box on the quad all the stuff in there on my 300ex fell out a year ago and havnt seen it since. Fell out of my 400ex the first night i had it but i found the stuff so its all good.

slightlybent47
01-08-2012, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the madness!
Been riddin/racin my ex for years, never fouled a plug yet.
It’s good to have the wrench in your kit though just in case.
You’re new so please don’t fall into the old, gotta get a new air filter so I will be faster trap. It’s a myth and it could be bad for your scooter. The stock foam filter with some bel ray filter oil on it and you’ll have no troubles.
If you decide to do something that will make your bike better, do the suspension first.

Keep the oil changed and filters clean and don’t use synthetic oil and she should give you years of worry free riding fun.

oldschoolsdime9
01-08-2012, 05:54 AM
I rode quads some in my younger days,and have rode street bikes for along time.( current bike is an 02 fz1) . I will be keeping the ex bone stock. It works very well for me in stock.form. I live in town, and if I need to let it run, the stock exhaust is a must. I'm thrilled to have the quad bc now my riding season isn't over with snow. I just have to get on another bike :-)

slightlybent47
01-08-2012, 06:50 AM
The ex is almost bullet proof in stock form, just keep er clean regularly maintained and she should be good.

oldschoolsdime9
01-08-2012, 07:20 AM
heres how she sits as of now. I have the new petcock on order. The only non stock part that will end up on it, will be a set of nerf bars. Any suggestions?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/lowxpectationz20/IMAG0348-1.jpg

oldschoolsdime9
01-08-2012, 08:35 AM
any suggestions on chain and sprockets?

oldschoolsdime9
01-08-2012, 10:27 AM
I adjusted the valves the other day, and just adjusted like i did on any other bike ive had, putting it at TDC and when the intake valves were closed i adjusted, and i turned the engine over and did the same for the exhaust. Now looking in the forum, i found the how too explaining to put the timing mark down and doing all 4 at once. Did i screw up? It runs fine, but I am going to adjust them via the how too from the forum.

slightlybent47
01-08-2012, 10:48 AM
She looks good for a 99. If your trail riding just use the o-ring type, they will last longer. Don’t go too cheap on the chain; get one with a high tensile strength. As for the sprockets just use the stock oem. Remember to change both sprockets and chain at the same time. A worn chain on new sprockets will not last very long and vice versa.
As for the nerf’s I have AC and they have lasted 5 years now but the grips on the aluminum pegs where your feet go will wear out over time but a quick dressing with the angle grinder will sharpen them up.

Since she has been sitting you want to take the fuel line of the carb and look down inside the tube on the carb where the fuel line plunges in. There should be a fuel screen down inside that nipple that will get clogged up. It should just fall out if you turn it over and tap it with a screwdriver or you can fish it out with a tooth pick.
Most people don’t realize there is a screen down in there and they can’t figure out why it’s not getting gas. Clean it or replace it if it’s damaged.

oldschoolsdime9
01-08-2012, 11:39 AM
petcock is currently out of the tank, awaiting a new petcock and filter in the tank. The carb has been on and off quite a few times. When I first got the bike, it wouldn't idle without the choke. My first thought was pilot jet. So I cleaned the carb up and it ran great. I went out yesterday, and puttered around alittle and pulled a small trailer around and did some yard work, and noticed the overflow tube kept dripping, so into the carb i went again. This time i cleaned the needle and seat better, put it back together and it runs great. I am going to readjust the valves following the "how too" from the forum, and all should be good.

The chain really isn't at its max stretch or anything but its rusted up from sitting and has some kinks in it, so for good measure I figure i ought to replace it. I shy away from the ebay chains, as I had a bad experience back when I started riding street bikes. I had a 96 cbr f3, and my masterlink broke doing about 40 mph. It spit the chain out, and luckily never locked the rear wheel, or took the engine case out. I found a cheap oring chain on d2moto.com, but it still puts me in the mindset of the ebay chain. I've used D.I.D on everything ive ever had since the breaking incident and will probably continue to use them on the quad too. Cash is tight at the moment and I came across this chain, but it still puts me in the mindset of an ebay chain.
http://www.d2moto.com/p-9520-honda-trx-400-ex-400x-sportrax-1999-2009-o-ring-chain-gold.aspx

Stickman400
01-08-2012, 12:17 PM
I don't know if you have ever shopped at motosport, but that is where I always buy parts for mine. They have the best prices, awesome customer service and fast shipping. Here is what most people on here would recommend for a chain and sprocket combo: http://www.motosport.com/atv/JT-STEEL-CHAIN-AND-SPROCKET-KIT?ride=HONDA;TRX400EX;1999 Just the chain would be around $80-90 though, but those sprockets and chain will last you forever.

oldschoolsdime9
01-08-2012, 01:02 PM
nope, ive never dealt with them. I will check it out. Thanks. Can anyone give me any insight on how I adjusted the valves opposed to how the how too said to do it?

I just made sure the intake valves were closed, and made my adjustments, and then bumped the engine over and made sure the exhaust were closed and made my adjustments. The how too said to turn the crank until you hit the timing mark, and do them all at once instead of bumping the engine over.

Stickman400
01-08-2012, 01:52 PM
I always just do it like the how-to said, do them all at once. I don't think it's gunna hurt anything the way you did it though.

Drfat400ex
01-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Man theres something about a stock red 99-04 400ex i love the look. I have pro armour nerfs the size of them is nice, theyre pretty tough and they look good. Ive also heard good things about ac.

Reece616
01-08-2012, 04:25 PM
you should be fine with the valves.
The how-to wants you to have it on the compression stroke (so the valves would be closed.)
I think the only benefit to that way is that you can do both at once without having to cycle the engine to a different stroke.

rooster300ex
01-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Make it wider and adjust ur ride height lower.JMO

oldschoolsdime9
01-09-2012, 05:56 AM
Yea that certainly looks cool, but for what i do with it , I honestly would be better off with a utility quad. Lowering and widening really isn't practical for me at this point. I really could use somthing with a snow plow and a trailer hitch to pull a garden trailer.