PDA

View Full Version : 450R Carb Upgrades

zrpilot
01-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Guys,

As many of you "veterans" know I rarely get back here, but today I read caseywoods5's post about the trouble he had getting his 400EX to run right with the 450R carb.

I want EVERYONE who is considering making this upgrade to know that it is VITALLY important to use the existing hot start components and simply use the silicone to seal off the top of the hot start hole.

Also please read and understand my jetting post, (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=394028&perpage=10&pagenumber=1) I wrote it for those of you who may not understand jetting so you can diagnose your jetting troubles. Please understand where you are having problems (ie: idle, mid-throttle, wide open) and concentrate on the appropriate circuits that effect your problem. For example don't put a 220 main to solve an idle problem.

Everyone focuses on what the main jet is, but in reality a main jet has little to do with overall performance. Nope, assuming the carb is installed correctly, has the float set right (VERY IMPORTANT), the hot start is sealed correctly( AGAIN VERY IMPORTANT), then the pilot is most important for idle issues, while the needle is important for 1/8 throttle to 3/4 or more throttle, while the main most important for 3/4+ throttle.

I keep seeing things that I have to make a helpful list (please feel free to add yours)

1) Don't check jetting by revving in neutral at a standstill, IT WILL STUMBLE and COUGH!
2) Don't idle or rev in neutral because your HEADER WILL GLOW RED, especially at dusk or night! Even IF your quad is jetted perfectly! All jetting changes should be made while putting a load (riding or dyno) on the motor.
3) Replace every part you can afford. Don't go cheap, piece of mind means a GREAT running quad. In otherwords, if I WERE doing a carb upgrade I would replace the float, hot start, all gaskets, ETC...
4) IMO the needle jet is more important then the main jet...
5) With today's unleaded fuel, reading a plug is VERY difficult, and probably means the plug would need to be cut (or chopped) apart to check where the insulator meets the steel to get an accurate reading.
6) A 6 point main jet change made VERY little difference on my quad on the dyno with an air fuel meter! For proof please read:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=394028&perpage=10&pagenumber=1
7) Fully warm up the engine before making any jetting judgements.
8) The 400EX is VERY tolerant of jetting (assuming it is NOT detonating)... and honestly it doesn't have HUGE gains on jetting.
9) Every motor is different, ask for baseline advice, but go out and ride yours then change your jetting until it runs to YOUR satisfaction!

Whew... I am sure there is more, but that is all I can think of...

TheAwesomehonda
02-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Ok well i'm going to try my 450r carb again in summer cuz its 10f right now. I can't start it without being able to use the choke so how can I modify the choke lever that I can use it with the gas tank installed?

JOHNDOE83
02-13-2012, 03:45 PM
:rolleyes:

TheAwesomehonda
02-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
:rolleyes: What is the meaning of that?:muscle:

JOHNDOE83
02-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by TheAwesomehonda
What is the meaning of that?:muscle:

It wasnt for you.:chinese:

Pipeless416
02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
It wasnt for you.:chinese:

i fail to see anything wrong with zrpilot's post. maybe if more people read it there would be less "450r carb jetting help!!!!" threads.

JOHNDOE83
02-13-2012, 06:45 PM
:rolleyes: < this is for the hotstart and RTV thing.

Wheelie
02-14-2012, 09:15 PM
For a guaranteed seal and a solid base to tune off of, the hot start has to be correctly blocked. I prefer to spend the money and know it's blocked correctly with Honda parts rather than take my chances with RTV and have a small/large vacuum leak.

zrpilot
02-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Wheelie
For a guaranteed seal and a solid base to tune off of, the hot start has to be correctly blocked. I prefer to spend the money and know it's blocked correctly with Honda parts rather than take my chances with RTV and have a small/large vacuum leak.

EXACTLY!!! :D

I have tried to make this point for YEARS... people there are no shortcuts.... use the dang Honda parts to properly seal the hot start.

JOHNDOE83
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Its anyones desicion to buy the parts or not but if RTV is taking a chance that will not work at all and is considered a short cut, I dont understand how mine runs so good :cool:

Theres alot of other people that used RTV without any issues also.