PDA

View Full Version : Ok here we go

jungleboy213
01-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Here is what I have:
90cc L/C Drr Malossi big bore ported and polished by CGR, Haggerty intake, Stage 6 28mm carb, Stage 6 crank, Malossi overrange, PCS pipe, 110 octane Sunoco using Castor 927 40:1, Malossi PVL, Malossi reed cage. I have used a 135 main and a 42 pilot all year. Even in Alabama in November when it was 40 degrees at night.

I just put the quad back together after being off for a month and it surges if you hammer the gas on the bottom end. It wont go anywhere. If you ease into the gas it'll scream up until 3/4 to full throttle then it misses again.

I have replaced eveything in the CVT, switched carb, changed killswitch, new gas, did a leak down test, changed sparkplug and cap. I have moved my grounds around. I have went from a 118 up to 150 on the main with the same exact result.

The odd thing, if you take the air filter off, that thing will haul the mail from top to bottom. Put the air filter back on and it hesitates again. The air filter is new and freshly oiled. I am certain that this quad will either tun me gray or make me bald (Bald seems to be closer). Any help would be appreciated.

mini racer #39
01-07-2012, 06:05 PM
When you said it ran great with the air filter off.. you told yourself the bike needs more air. So 1 turn out on the air screw from where it is now, with the air filter on. If that gets better raise the needle clip 1 position. Run it, check plug, cool clean winter air...means you'll need to keep an eye on the plug. Some bikes run lean and others run rich. Sound like air screw and needle postion to me. Good Luck

CRBOGGAN
01-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Our setup is close to yours we have 140 to142 main needle 2nd from top 40 pilot air screw 1 1/2 out. This is stage6 Carb malossi and mach1 pipe no porting

Logan #34's Dad
01-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Sounds like an air leak - maybe at the intake area. My thoughts would be, With the air filter on the carb has to suck harder through the filter which then allows it to suck through the air leak on the intake area. When the filter is off it has no restriction so it won't pull from the crack/leak........
Think about it like your wifes canister vacuum (In mini racer #39's case, HIS vacuum):devil: When you cover the end of the hose it draws down the vaccum but if there were a hole in the hose, It'd start pulling air in from that hole when it's restricted......
Sorry Jerry, I just had to go there.......LOL

jungleboy213
01-08-2012, 08:13 AM
I started it up and sprayed brake cleaner all around the intake. I didn't hear any change in the idle. Matter of fact, I sprayed brake cleaner everywhere just to see.

raidernut
01-08-2012, 10:23 AM
Do you have another carb to try? Had an experience like this before. Turned out to be just a bad carb. Had been using the carb for near a whole season, then bike started acting similar to what your describing. Soaked it, Cleaned it, replaced nearly every part in it and still the same. Pulled same size carb off of our other bike, problem solved. Threw bad carb in trash can, and troubles were over.

edwardsp&b
01-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Ive had numerous problems with that stage 6 carb. Thats where I would start first. How about the extra ground motor to frame? I have had good results out of the stage 6 carb, until I get 7 or 8 races then it acts wacky. On my carb I had issues with the float needle and adjustment tab. Good luck
bryan

fomospede
01-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Sounds like an air leak - maybe at the intake area. My thoughts would be, With the air filter on the carb has to suck harder through the filter which then allows it to suck through the air leak on the intake area. When the filter is off it has no restriction so it won't pull from the crack/leak........
Think about it like your wifes canister vacuum (In mini racer #39's case, HIS vacuum):devil: When you cover the end of the hose it draws down the vaccum but if there were a hole in the hose, It'd start pulling air in from that hole when it's restricted......
Sorry Jerry, I just had to go there.......LOL

im with this guy
not saying its not the carb
but my bet its a induction prob
also you failed to say if you checked for a clear vent tube on the fuel cap
hope you figure it out soon !!

mmsoup
01-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm with Rocky, it sounds like a leak as described. We have two quads set up with similar parts and we have regularly had leak problems with Haggerty's. They tend to develop leaks around the base bolts. and you could always have a leaking crank seal. You mentioned that you had done a leak down test though. My question would be was it with a leak down test kit or brake cleaner? We use a kit that we made for about $30 and have elimiated leaks from the equation.
I have had nothing but bad experiences from the Stage 6 carb. Tough to tune and tends to develop issues. We went to 28mm Keihin Airstrykers a year and a half ago and have not had carb problems since. I have seen a machine at a GNCC on more than one occasion that went from terd to terror once a poor carb was replaced.

Good luck

jungleboy213
01-08-2012, 09:41 PM
I knew it was going to be something STOOPID... After 3 almost sleepless nights, a little praying and ranting, raving quietly in this head of mine and a third set of eyes on it, we have figured it out............................................... .......................I had the reed cage near the motor instead of by the carb. A bonehead, rookie, idiotic, foolish and expensive mistake. One good thing about all of this, is that I know everything I have checked is good (As of right now).
MINI MADNESS!!! I have always heard about it. I thought I may have experienced it before, but now I know, for sure, what it is. I know now that you can be almost as mad as to light the thing on fire and then in the next breath laugh and smile when you hear and see it scream across the yard. Thanks to all who have given input on my situation. I will now never put the reed cage in the wrong position.

mmsoup
01-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Always wondered what would happen if you put the cage in the intake instead of on top, guess we know now, could have done it myself and kinda surprised in hindsight that I didn't
Glad it all worked out

EthansDad
01-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Reminds me of the movie "there is something about mary" when they say "how did he get the beans on top of the frank". :)

Chaulk that up to lessons learned, a great experience in mini trouble shooting, and good display of this support community joining your madness.