PDA

View Full Version : bar rise?

wolfe 21
01-07-2012, 09:01 AM
What's a good bend to run for handlebars on the 400ex for someone that does mostly trails and road riding, spends most of their time sitting and is around 6'-1" give or take.

Most of what I'm seeing are between 3.5" and 4.5" of rise. gonna run 1-1/8" bars if it matters, but my clamps don't have the extra rise built in them. Found a set of tag clamps that replace the stock clamps and bolt to the stem.

James.

Kawie450r
01-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Its all personal preference really. I prefer cr high bend on my kawi. Im 6'1"

duneslider
01-07-2012, 09:56 AM
I have the tusk chub bars with the quad high bend, I think, with the tusk bar adapter and like it. Pretty similar to the stock height but seems comfortable to me.

CJM
01-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Pro taper SE (seven eighths) atv hi.

Thumpin440ex
01-07-2012, 12:07 PM
I am running tag t-2's with a +1 stem, love it.. The bars are a CR bend style. less tiring in my op..

John

JOHNDOE83
01-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Kawie450r

I also prefer the same and Im 5'7....lol.

wolfe 21
01-07-2012, 03:53 PM
yeah, i know personal preference is king of the day, but I wanna try to find a good starting point. I've got renthal 7/8s right now with almost 5" of rise and that's not bad, but the only 1-1/8" bars I was finding were between 3.5 & 4.5. I figure I'll either try the CR High or a ricky carmichael bend (both around 3.75 rise) to see what I prefer.

james.

Stickman400
01-07-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm 5' 10" and I have Tag T-2s (CR Double High Bend) with a +1" stem and they are really comfortable in the woods and good on the track as well. They sit up tall, but not too tall.

slightlybent47
01-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Kawie450r

Yep he’s rite. That just one of those things that you have to experiment with yourself and find what you like.

NacsMXer
01-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by wolfe 21
yeah, i know personal preference is king of the day, but I wanna try to find a good starting point. I've got renthal 7/8s right now with almost 5" of rise and that's not bad, but the only 1-1/8" bars I was finding were between 3.5 & 4.5. I figure I'll either try the CR High or a ricky carmichael bend (both around 3.75 rise) to see what I prefer.

james.

The bar bend dimension you are talking about is actually the height, not the rise FYI.

It is common for many 1-1/8" bars to be much lower than stock ATV bars. You just have to choose the right bend carefully by studying bar charts. I actually would not recommend the CR High bend or regular Ricky Carmichael (RC) bends to someone of your height. Even with the the added 3/4" rise of the fatbar adapters, it will be too low with a stock length stem. It would be ok if you had a +1 or +2 stem though.

I would recommend the Renthal Ricky Carmichael High bend (RC High) Fatbars instead. You can also get TAG T2's in the exact same bar. They are quite similar in all other dimensions to the regular RC bend, but have the added height and rise that you need. The height is 119mm which is = 4.69 inches. The width is perfect, and has a good sweep as well (not too much).

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/-/-/-/-/-/-/33652/

Renthal Fatbar Bar Chart for comparison: http://www.renthal.com/File/product2d.asp?productid=0&tabtype=5&zone=&biketype=&manufacturer=&model=&bikedate=

HondaRacing83
01-08-2012, 09:59 AM
I've actually got Pro Taper CR Hi bend in 7/8 and i like how they are but i still think im gonna get 1" risers or something. btw, if someone could help me out, where else could i get risers besides tusk ones on rocky mtn? the cr hi bend 7/8 is a PITA to put stuff on it. all the controls barelys fit on there, and im having a hell of a time putting wrap around guards on. i got the left side on with the electricals and clutch, but i still cant figure out how to get the right side with the brake and throttle. my dads only answer was "shoulda listened to me and not bought dirtbike bars" and "well, you can buy shorty levers." i think renthal makes an oem bend? pretty sure a member on here has it on a newer ex. id get the highest bend fatbar there is

NacsMXer
01-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
I've actually got Pro Taper CR Hi bend in 7/8 and i like how they are but i still think im gonna get 1" risers or something. btw, if someone could help me out, where else could i get risers besides tusk ones on rocky mtn? the cr hi bend 7/8 is a PITA to put stuff on it. all the controls barelys fit on there, and im having a hell of a time putting wrap around guards on. i got the left side on with the electricals and clutch, but i still cant figure out how to get the right side with the brake and throttle. my dads only answer was "shoulda listened to me and not bought dirtbike bars" and "well, you can buy shorty levers." i think renthal makes an oem bend? pretty sure a member on here has it on a newer ex. id get the highest bend fatbar there is

Yep the CR High's are a low bar for a stock setup. Not sure why you are having problems fitting controls as the CR Highs have a pretty normal width at 800mm wide. For your application, if you want to stay with the Protaper SE bars, I would take a look at their "ATV" bends. Even the lowest ATV bend is considerably higher than the CR High you have now, and they also have the extra wide width that you seem to be needing to fit your controls.

ProTaper's SE Bar Chart: http://www.protaper.com/products/handlebars/se