PDA

View Full Version : New to 4 Strokes 450R Need Engine

dsaint77
01-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Greetings,

I just picked up an 04 450R with a bad motor. Paid 650 for it. It is going to cost more than 1k to fix the motor. I looked around and have seen motors going from 800 stock to 1500+ "built."

I would like to have a motor with some good power, "built." What am I looking for in the internal components that make a 450R motor high horsepower.

What I think Built, I think 80hp Stock Stroke, Stock Cylinder Banshee with a bottom end to handle that.

Lastly:

It needs a left case, not a hard job to do, but I cannot see anything that caused the hole in the case and is damage that something happened INSIDE the Crankcase/Transmission. I have not pulled it down, but there could be serious problems as the motor is seized.

So, new case 250+, New Crank 200 - 350ish, Piston rings gaskets 150 - 220. That could be up to 800 bucks easy and maybe not even the problem but those pieces could be damaged.

If it was a 2 stroke I wouldn't have to ask any questions!!

Anyways, thanks for all the help and I await your replies.

Adam

goober400
01-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Needs a crank shaft almost gurantee it.I've had 1 that busted the case when the main bearing came apart and got shoved thru the case by the crank.

DnB_racing
01-07-2012, 01:15 PM
are you trying to make a high horse power top end machine? if so you will be disappointed, the 450r has an excellent mid range power, very usable in a mx setting, and coming out of turns and having the quick power to jump a gap, high horse power is kinda wasted for how the 450 is designed to perform...

if you want top end your better of with the banshees.
you want torque and power then its were the 450 shines

dont waste your money trying to make it something its not, if your looking for "built" in 4 strokes dont look at peak horsepower look at the torque

dsaint77
01-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Awesome information. Like I said I have only owned 2 strokes and the 4 is new to me. I have stayed away from the because well lets face it. 4 strokes (no offense) bring nothing to the table in compared to a 2 stroke. If a manufacture made a 2stroke DFI like the Skidoo 800 TEK. Everyone would switch to that. Off subject not trying to offend anyone because the 450 design is the best on the market.

I'm just looking for first hand knowledge on the subject.

Thanks again,

Adam

DnB_racing
01-08-2012, 08:55 AM
not saying anything bad about either one,I have both 2 and 4 strokes and they are different types of power completely... but if used to there potential in there environment, there are advantages to both

my 2 stroke cant touch my 4 stroke in the technical stuff and actual power hooking up to the ground, and my 4 stroke is no match for my 2 stroke when its in the power band

with your new 450 dont try to copy your 2 stroke, set it up to its strengths,this way when you need a power monster you go 4 stroke if your going to the desert or need a wide open screamer take the 2 stoke, you will be much happier with your 450 in the end if you build it like a 4 stroke instead of trying to make make it feel like your 2 stroke

if you understand there is a place for both technologies,and a need for both types, you will enjoy the performance feeling of each

deathman53
01-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I have both in atvs and dirtbikes. 2 different animals completely. Both do mx just as good, just some tracks suite better to things. A tighter track, the 4 stroke wins, while an open track the 2 stroke has it. Trails are about the same on both. I actually like the 2 stroke more for almost everything. For the dirtbikes.....4 stroke for fireroads, wide open trails and staying away from really tight stuff(bars cut down to 29" and making turns every 50ft while hitting trees on both sides). The 2 strokes, just rip everywhere, but shine in tighter trails where its really tight and constant turn while hitting trees on both sides.
Now when I talk about a 2 stroke atv, I am NOT talking about a 80? hp banshee, they are fast trucks that go fast in a straight line for most part and don't make that much usable power on a mx track. Those really shine in pits, wide open trails and sand dunes. I am talking about a 250r, for the most part they make very good bottom end, handle like a race car and have very good mid range power, as well as a good bit of top end. I have the PV set at the highest tension, to make really good power down low, open later to give the mid range and full open to have top end. All my 2 strokes are like that. My 250r, has a quite built motor, but only makes something like 50-60hp, it makes it power in low and mid where you can use it. My dirtbikes, the pv are set the same way, so I can lug it to keep it going controllable in trails, and when I want to open it up, twist the throttle and small clutch tug.

dsaint77
01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Totally agree with you on that what I was saying is looking for a 450r motor everyone puts built. So what is a built 4 stroke. With the 2 stroke we shave a couple 2 mm off the top and the bottom end of the ports you get power in different spots. I have a stock 87 that is ported on a stock pipe. I kept it original. I know, trust me a pipe will amaze me, but it's what I want.

I also have a banshee, which should be over 65-75 hp on pump gas.

I have no idea what a HRC or stage II does on a 4 stroke. I looked at the power curve wrong because I don't know what the 450 R needs. I read that high comp piston 14:1 needs race fuel. Ok, I want standard comp to run pump gas. I have learned a lot over the two days I have been reading and I am more informed.

If someone says built and too much to list, I laugh because they cant take the time to list the top 3 mods to their motor I move on.

I do respect the discussion as it did not turn to be a flame war!

Adam