PDA

View Full Version : jet ski???

backwoods 400ex
01-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Hi im looking at tradeing some of my spare parts for some jet skis and i dont know much about them and its winter up here in wisconsin and i know they run and have clean titles i was just wondering what i should look for so i dont get screwed? i know compresion test and all the basic motor stuff but i dont know much about the drive/jet part of the machine any help would be appreciated. they are a 1990 Yamaha lx 650 and a 1994 Yamaha wave runner 650

DnB_racing
01-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by backwoods 400ex
Hi im looking at tradeing some of my spare parts for some jet skis and i dont know much about them and its winter up here in wisconsin and i know they run and have clean titles i was just wondering what i should look for so i dont get screwed? i know compresion test and all the basic motor stuff but i dont know much about the drive/jet part of the machine any help would be appreciated. they are a 1990 Yamaha lx 650 and a 1994 Yamaha wave runner 650 you want to see them run!!!

there are just too many things that just cant be checked if its not running,you want to make sure it doesnt overheat after running for several minutes

if they wont let you hear them run dont buy,

maybe a large quick moving river or someplace that isn't iced over

smr
01-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
you want to see them run!!!

there are just too many things that just cant be checked if its not running,you want to make sure it doesnt overheat after running for several minutes

if they wont let you hear them run dont buy,

maybe a large quick moving river or someplace that isn't iced over

He is 100% correct. You don't just want to hear them run you want to take them out. They may set and idle but not run when you put them in water. Remember, jetskis are ridden wide open all the time so the motor life isn't very long. There 2 st so they are cheap to rebuild but very expensive to run. My had a 12 gallon tank and that would last about 2 hours on the lake.

backwoods 400ex
01-06-2012, 07:27 PM
okay thanks is there anyway i can hook up a hose to them kinda like the "earmuffs" with boats?

OldGuyonaQuad
01-06-2012, 09:53 PM
okay thanks is there anyway i can hook up a hose to them kinda like the "earmuffs" with boats?

there is a hose adapter that they sell for flushing it after you ride in salt water. I usually flushed mine every time I rode. I would still suggest you take it for a ride first.

wilkin250r
01-07-2012, 10:37 AM
winter up here in wisconsin

Originally posted by smr
you want to take them out.
Oil and water. I don't know if any of you realize what winters are like in Wisconsin, but these two just don't mix... :p

smr
01-09-2012, 06:39 AM

both my skis had a place in the back you could hook the hose up to. Like I said. They may run fine with no load on them but not run once you put them in water.