PDA

View Full Version : Torque Spring BAKE off Results

EthansDad
01-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Last year, I did some testing for a number of torque springs to capture the force they produce to make it easier for folks to choose a spring. This year, folks asked, "what about fade" or how do I know which spring will last (keep its force) under race conditions?".

I came up with a test to introduce fade into springs from heating them, and tested a whole lot of springs before and after heating with the results listed below.

A big thanks to Rich @ Hetrick, Justin @ MAX RPM and Marc at Hot Quads for providing some springs to torture (er, test).

full results found here (easier to read):

Spring Testing Results (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av3_8nTLRJqTdGpMUWFxSVZIMjBCREEtYzRaN3V1Y 3c)

some background on the data:

-each spring has an initial force (at rest, bike idling), a final force (fully shifted out) and a rate which is basically how much the force changed over 1 inch of compression. the chart lists all these numbers (before and after fade) - you can use them to pick a spring that is close to what you have now, or a bit more/less to test with tuning

-rate (or change in force in lbs over an inch) is really how quick/slow the bike will shift out and in my book, the #1 factor for performance differences when testing springs. I can clutch the bike different (heavier/lighter rollers) to deal with a bigger initial force, but once its overcome, its up to the rate to how its going to shift out.

-initial force -this is the force in lbs that the spring produces when its compressed to 1.75 inches, which is exactly what it is when in the CVT's rear pulley BEFORE any shifting happens. As I've said before, I really don't like the term 1000, 1500, 2000 for springs. from now on, I will refer to them by their initial force. you can see from the data a 1000rpm spring = (about) 60lbs, a 1500 spring = 80bs, and a 2000 spring = about 90-100 lbs.

-how the testing was done - same as last year, can search on forum and see full "how its done" info. for fade, I won't go into boring details, unless you ask, but I promise you, I did a lot of pre-testing/research on how to do it, the test was successful in introducing heat and compression related "fade" (similar to race conditions), and all springs got exactly the same treatment. what I can't promise is your springs will only fade X% in a race, but the fade I got should be a good indicator as to how well a spring holds up, which is what I was after.

how to use the data:

-can start by looking on the big graphic/chart at the bottom. look at a spring you know/use, then look for other springs with similar "heights" on the chart - they will be close to what you have now - just a bit firmer/softer. taller = firmer, shorter = softer.

-can next look at the numbers - I'd start by looking at rate, then initial force to match up, or figure out which spring is just a bit more/less than what I currently run and put that on my list to try in the bike.

-keep in mind, just a few lbs - like 3-5lbs can make a very BIG performance difference. that is basically the difference between holeshots and bog city. you'll notice on the softer springs, losing just 2lbs is a big deal, while on the firmer springs, they may loose 8-9 lbs. that is why I put the loss/fade in terms of percent % so its easier to see how they hold up.

-an interesting note, you can see some springs loose force differently. some loose more initial force, some loose more final force. they all shrink, some a little, some quite a bit.

all comments that help improve the testing/data welcome. I didn't have to make this public you know :-)

Big Spring Chart:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-jaCHgCOD2u8/TwW7V8L0EfI/AAAAAAAAANI/m8p8CSmOVyE/s800/spring%252520chart.JPG

Spring Measurements:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BQoGRCNdTAk/TwW7dNztNsI/AAAAAAAAANU/-fzHqD3zsZk/s800/spring%252520numbers.JPG

chunky0071
01-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Nice !!!

edwardsp&b
01-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Eric, you are the most precise person I have ever met. If this was back in school at the Science Fair, you my friend would have the blue ribbon. Great info!
Bryan

fish-d-fish
01-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Very impressive and thorough study. I have done some similar testing with ground results as well. What type of measuring instrument did you use for force? Thanks for the work!

EthansDad
01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Hey Fish-d-fish,

on the basic force testing, I'm going to refer you to the thread from last year (see below). I also have a video how I did it, and another video showing a great way to loose a figure (er, how not to do it). last link below is the results from last year, that include some springs not on this years test, so that is good info, but no fade results (in last years).

for introducing fade, I tried a bunch of things. there are formal test shops that have some very high end gear to do formal fade testing. basically, its all about heat and compression - how well you can control that is how good your results will be. I tried building a squish box (pic) were I could heat the spring in the oven and then compression cycle it from 1.75 to 1.25 inches like 100 times while hot. that didn't work too well. I finally ended up compressing the spring in my vice to 1.5 inches, then heating it with a propane torch for exactly 60 second, then leaving it to cool while still compressed at 1.5 inches. that gave the results you see in the test. If I really wanted to get Mr. Wizard on it, I would have had the heat at exactly our operating temp (while racing) and actively compressed the spring in its normal duty cycle (from 1.75 to 1.25) at a rate which it is usually subjected to (which I don't know what that is). if I could have done all that, I think I could predict when exactly in a race it would fail, BUT...only so much time in life.

I'd like, one day, to link this fade data to exactly HOW LONG in a race bike the spring will last. for now, I think its a good indicator, and gives some interesting ideas to play with, for example, I can see a heat faded 2k spring looks a LOT like a new 1500 spring, and once the spring is heat cycled once, it doesn't fade as much the second time.

Last years Torque Spring thread
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=460100&highlight=torque+spring

spring results from last year
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av3_8nTLRJqTdHBfaS05S2FBQmg2dFRlRUhLMm9Yc 3c&hl=en_US#gid=0

youtube video how how to test springs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03zwODb1rwY

youtube video of how to (almost) loose a finger testing springs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JbMEIYYwQA

Pic below, the "squish box" - it didn't work so good

Hetrick Racing
01-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Those non color springs are the Stainless springs on my site,

we have been using them since the 90s but they were wound the opposite way for the lt80
I run them on most of our xc builds to date,and just a few of the edt and mx mainly because the 85lb(1500)is as light as we go

bb49
01-11-2012, 06:46 PM
can you test a koso 1000 1500 and 2000

EthansDad
01-11-2012, 09:23 PM
I don't think koso is making those springs anymore?? someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know justin at maxrpm used to import those, and based on some importing restrictions or something to that effect, he hired the factory to produce the maxrpm springs based on the koso specs.

if you look at last year's results(in the link in this thread for last years results), I did test a koso 1k, and the specs were very very close to a maxrpm 1k. I could also see the koso 1k specs are close to the blue hebo, although that is a bit softer. still, close enough I might put that on my list to try.

While we're chatting about brands, that stainless spring from Hetrick was something else. 0% loss in initial and final force, and only .1 inches shrinkage. It did get a bit softer out of the operating range (at 2.25 in), but the force within the range used in the CVT(which is really all that matters) stayed strong. If we were doing XC racing, that would be the ticket. I wish Rich would make those in softer rates (hint hint!!)

-EA

bb49
01-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Well my buddy still gets the koso springs in bulk. If you need soem let me know. If you give me your address i will send you some that were ran 1 moto.

EthansDad
01-12-2012, 09:55 PM
hey bb49,

that would be great, glad to test them and add them to the chart. to test, I need new springs to get the force when new. to do fade testing, well, I fade them, and they aren't new anymore when I'm done with them and will act like a worn out spring if you put them back in the bike. that's why I reached out the big shops cause I don't have the kind of funds to go burn (literally!) $300 worth of springs. those guy were great in donating to the cause.

If you are still up for it, I'll test what you send. I had another guy that makes his own springs ask for my address and is going to send some my way so he can get the results out there. I can send back what you give, just know its coming back worn out, and I need to start with a new one.

same goes for anyone else that has a favorite spring not on the chart. just PM me and I'll give you my address.

-EA

asadad00
01-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Hetrick Racing
Those non color springs are the Stainless springs on my site,

we have been using them since the 90s but they were wound the opposite way for the lt80
I run them on most of our xc builds to date,and just a few of the edt and mx mainly because the 85lb(1500)is as light as we go

Are you saying you do not use it in mx as much because it is too firm ?

Hetrick Racing
01-25-2012, 03:52 PM
No not really
The main reason is because as any racer dad or team manager,I wanna win!!!And save money doing it,,lol that's funny right

What this means is even though the stainless springs are better,they cost a bit more,,,, but I'm still putting a new one in every moto so the cheaper way is to run the other springs.

Although after testing for the last 3 weeks I can say the unless I run out My team will all be running them in 2012

Also check out the topic cvt trivia
Ill give you another answer to that statement;to firm