PDA

View Full Version : Did you think my quad would last very long?

dxcody
01-05-2012, 03:48 AM
New problem..

Went riding about a month ago at a friends house and everything went really good. I did kill it once after riding for about 5-10 mins and it was a real PITA to get started again, but once i got it fired back up it was fine, and i didnt have any troubles the rest of the day.

I went out to start it yesterday (first time since i cleaned it after i went riding) and it just cranked and cranked.

I changed the plug...Still nothing, so i shut the gas off, let it sit for about 5 minutes and cranked it over again (with the gas off) and it fired up and idled pretty well until it ran out of fuel. So i turned the gas on and it kinda puked and wouldnt start, so i shut the gas off and again it idled fine until it ran out of gas.

And if i give it any throttle at all, it pukes and dies.

Stock jetting
Changed the plug 3 times now

I pulled the carb off and cleaned it and there was a puddle of gas sitting in the boot off the back of the head.

:confused: any ideas? sure sounds like its flooding out really bad to me, and like the float is sticking or something but i dont think it is, there is no gas leaking out of the carb and the float "floats" in a cup of gas..

powerbomb400
01-05-2012, 04:36 AM
Could be the float is set just enough too high not to start but not enough to overflow.

dxcody
01-05-2012, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
Could be the float is set just enough too high not to start but not enough to overflow.

Thanks for the reply, that sounds like a pretty good theory. I will pull the carb back off and check the float spec.

B.C.#11TRX400EX
01-05-2012, 09:47 AM
You have stock jetting? Wat is done to the quad engine wise?

finsteratv
01-05-2012, 05:22 PM
stockjetting with a 426? :eek:

Speed37
01-05-2012, 06:53 PM
displacement shouldnt alter the jetting that much, but yeah try that float, or mabey u didnt clean it good enough? But do u have that little plastic baffle plate thing that goes over the main jet in there?

dxcody
01-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Stock jetting actually is perfect for what i have.

Its 11:1 426 stage 2 cam white borthers slip on

But everytime i pull the plug its prefect, actually a tad rich. I think its because my exhaust needs repacked. It doesnt pop or crack any.

But anyways, turns out that baffle plate was not in there.. I completely forgot to put that in when i was messing with the jetting a few months ago.. I bet thats what is causing it.

Whats funny is, i was just telling my buddy the other day that the last time my quad did this, it was because that little plastic piece wasnt in there...

I feel dumb.

Speed37
01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
haha, when i first bough my 400, i tore it all apart to the bare frame, everything out the engine and carb. When i was getting my cylinder honed and bored, i messed with the carb. And im like there should be a plastic peice over the main jet. I didnt want to take a chance with that thing flooding so i bought it.

atvrider13
01-05-2012, 11:10 PM
One of your breather"vent" hoses might be plugged burnt or missing also

dxcody
01-06-2012, 02:22 AM
floats in spec, put that piece back in.. Still does it.

IDK!

Im about to just say screw it and buy a 450R carb

DragonGunner
01-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Stock carb? It sounds like its your....?...that thing that attaches to your float, it has a cone shaped rubber piece on the end to block the fuel an let furl in. They get dirty, just a speck will let gas pass through. Clean that chamber it sets in, an check that piece for damage. Most of the time a good cleaning with carb cleaner an q tips will work.

Its called the float valve, but clean the place it sets in.

Also I had a carb that sat for some time an gas gummed it up. It started fine an ran but evrytime I got on the throttle it started to die out....I finally tore apart the accelerater pump an the rubber gasket was all white corroded. Cleaned everything up an it ran perfect after that.

dxcody
01-07-2012, 02:18 PM
Ok i did everything that everyone has mentioned on here, and i thank you for all the advice.

Today i went to Parks Motorsports and bought a 42 pilot hoping somehow this would cure my problem.

Got home, put it in, still nothing.

I cranked it and held the throttle WOT

"BRAAAAAP put put put BRAAAAP put put put"

If i hold the throttle WOT while cranking, it revs up to about Mid-range RPM and then cuts out and then revs back up to mid-range and repeats this order, over and over.

It is running unbelievably rich.
About 15 seconds of doing that and i was smoked out of the garage.
(my garage is 16' x 16' )

finsteratv
01-07-2012, 02:28 PM
what color is the smoke? smoke usually means oil being burnt which means your engine is about done.

dxcody
01-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
what color is the smoke? smoke usually means oil being burnt which means your engine is about done.

My engine is brand new it better not be done.. haha

you can tell by the way it smelled it was gas not oil, it was really dark. Almost black when it came out of the exhaust.. and when i opened the garage door it was more of a white color.. There was probably alot of build up in the motor from me flooding it out so many times.

It was 100% 4 sure not burning oil though. Im positive.

CJM
01-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Change your plug then see if it cranks over. Check your air filter, without one on it wont run, check of course to make sure its getting spark properly as well.

dxcody
01-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Change your plug then see if it cranks over. Check your air filter, without one on it wont run, check of course to make sure its getting spark properly as well.

i got it to quit flooding, it will idle pretty much perfect now.

But now my jetting is messed up. Bogs off idle, but if i ram it, it still revs way up then cuts out repeatedly

148 main, 42 pilot, 2 turns out of a/f. I also switched my exhaust to a FMF core 4 slip on..

Would it be worth it to just buy a 450R carb?

I have the money for the carb, just not for the adapter.

caseywoods5
01-08-2012, 08:16 PM
my 400ex was giving me flooding problems as well and i just said screw it and switched to my 450r carb. my 450r carb did everything you mentioned except for flooding when i was getting the jetting right and it was lean. just some thoughts. and if this means anything, after switching to my 450r carb, i'll NEVER go back... so much better it's unbelievable, like night and day difference in bottom end and acceleration. this was after i got the jetting right of course lol

CJM
01-09-2012, 04:30 AM
Its to lean man...

dxcody
01-09-2012, 05:00 AM
i will bump up the main to a..... ? 155?
higher?

DragonGunner
01-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
i got it to quit flooding, it will idle pretty much perfect now.

But now my jetting is messed up. Bogs off idle, but if i ram it, it still revs way up then cuts out repeatedly

148 main, 42 pilot, 2 turns out of a/f. I also switched my exhaust to a FMF core 4 slip on..

Would it be worth it to just buy a 450R carb?

I have the money for the carb, just not for the adapter.

Open airbox or closed? 148 is stock main for stock pipe. I would go with at least a 160. Maybe more if your running open box.

supertrooper90
01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
def. to lean. start with a 160 and you will know right away if its better or not. You dont need a 450r carb. Its nice to have but you dont need it.