PDA

View Full Version : header pipe heat wrap

TheLane
01-03-2012, 06:54 PM
kk, i have to know, the guy who posted that duning 450 with the wrap around the header, where did you order it?

McCrillis
01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by TheLane
kk, i have to know, the guy who posted that duning 450 with the wrap around the header, where did you order it?

Haha I believe your talking about me... Here is the link http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/productdetail/exhaust_and_header_heat_wrap/hp-color-exhaust-wrap/36/19

It's also a good idea to get a couple cans of vht flame proof spray paint, so whenever the wrap decides to fade you can spray it and make it look awesome again.

TheLane
01-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Sweet man, thanks for the reply, and your quad looks amazing.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
01-03-2012, 09:58 PM
I don't know if it's going to be the same on bikes, but I know header wrap on cars is really bad for the headers. Makes the header so hot they actually disintegrate over time.

McCrillis
01-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
I don't know if it's going to be the same on bikes, but I know header wrap on cars is really bad for the headers. Makes the header so hot they actually disintegrate over time.

Whoops my bad, I just noticed the link was wrong, here is the right one. Thanks for chiming in on that yfz-Fofiddy that wrap would not of worked for him hahaha.
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/productdetail/exhaust-wraps-and-insulation-heat-shields/color-motorcycle-exhaust-wrap/92/34

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
01-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Any wrap that keeps in heat would do the same thing I think. Just throwing that out there. A lot of companies with warranties on their headers will void any warrantee if you've used any wrap on it due to the destruction they cause.

Have you ever unwrapped your header and noticed anything by chance? I personally have never used it, this is just stuff I have read and heard.

McCrillis
01-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
Any wrap that keeps in heat would do the same thing I think. Just throwing that out there. A lot of companies with warranties on their headers will void any warrantee if you've used any wrap on it due to the destruction they cause.

Have you ever unwrapped your header and noticed anything by chance? I personally have never used it, this is just stuff I have read and heard.

Not yet, it's only been on for about a month. Once it starts to look rough, I'll take it off and see if there is any damage to the header.

Tommy Warren
01-04-2012, 03:23 AM
a stainless header should be okay...

bbender85
01-04-2012, 07:08 AM
i ran it on my old 400ex for a year with no damage.

quad2xtreme
01-04-2012, 07:40 AM
I've run it a few years on my wife's HRC headpipe without any damage. I know because I've had to wrap it 3 times and it is due again.

I've heard the trick is running the engine after washing so the wrap can dry out. I always do this anyhow and use air to blow off excess water too.

Ichoptop
01-04-2012, 07:59 AM
After close to 20 years of using heatwrap on drag cars I have never seen any issues. Headers will only hold up to the heat so long wrapped or not.

deathman53
01-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I wrap the headers on my bikes/atvs. I soak it in water, then wrap it tightly around the pipe. Get it to where it ends and put a hose clamp around it. I put a hose clamp on the beginning and in the middle. Run the bike until the wrap dries up, usually there is oil that burn off also. Its super tight after drying. Sections that get worn down, I wrap 3 times. Yes, header wrap can ruin a pipe, that is only after getting the pipe wet. After I wash it, I run the bike to dry it out. It rarely is outside in the rain, but if for some reason it is, it gets brought in and wrap gets dried, either w/ heat gun or running bike.

TheLane
01-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Lol it says "increases horsepower" and "may require jetting" How would doing a heat wrap increase your horses on a bike?

I can understand a car...maybe, due to underhood temp. but....meh i dunno

bbender85
01-04-2012, 11:47 AM
supposed to help with exhaust gas scavenging... google it, i cant type it all on my ipod lol.

TheLane
01-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Oh and hey mccrillis how long in that picture has that wrap been on there. Im curious how long the color lasts.

McCrillis
01-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Oh and hey mccrillis how long in that picture has that wrap been on there. Im curious how long the color lasts.

I've had it for about a month, but like I said I bought a couple cans of VHT flame proof spray paint. I spray it every time I get done with riding so it looks brand new every time.

KingpinsEx
01-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Lol it says "increases horsepower" and "may require jetting" How would doing a heat wrap increase your horses on a bike?

I can understand a car...maybe, due to underhood temp. but....meh i dunno

It allows your engine to run cooler, therefore producing more horsepower. You know how hot those headers get and it is running right next to your cylinder. I have been wanting to run wrap for a while and finally decided to do it. Can't see how it could hurt.

bbender85
01-04-2012, 05:54 PM
lol.

McCrillis
01-04-2012, 06:06 PM
^^^ Coming out of left field haha.

TheLane
01-04-2012, 06:13 PM
lol, random.

so to spray it with this paint do you pull the header off every time or just spray it on there with it still on the bike?

bbender85
01-04-2012, 06:16 PM
"Exhaust wraps help to retain heat in your exhaust system, which increases horsepower while reducing radiant heat damage. By wrapping the header and exhaust system it maintains hotter exhaust gases, decreasing the density, and allowing the exhaust gas to exit the system faster.."

McCrillis
01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
lol, random.

so to spray it with this paint do you pull the header off every time or just spray it on there with it still on the bike?

Well my header is two piece and if its wrapped I can't take the header out without unwrapping it. So I just put a bunch of old towels behind the entire exhaust and tape off everything around it and spray it on. I only spray what the eye can see since that's the main goal lol.