PDA

View Full Version : Winter Training Programs

dxcody
01-03-2012, 03:12 AM
Whats some of you cardio monsters training programs?

Im officially starting racing in 2012, XC of course.

Right now my cardio is absolutly, insanely horrible.

About 2 miles of running a somewhat steady pace and im pretty much drained.

The doctor did say that there was something with my heart that was going to make it very difficult to maintain a good cardio but i am determined.

So how do you reccomend starting out?

I saw on Dave Simmons fbook page he jogged like 20 miles in one morning, i want to have THAT kinda cardio.

Thanks guys.

quad2xtreme
01-03-2012, 06:24 AM
6 weeks of Power 90 then switch to P90X.

You should have had a full stress on that heart. My regular doctor recently said I had an issue with my heart...said I failed an EKG test. I went for a full stress test and came up clean for everything. They said my cardio was through the roof in how long it took me to get up to 150 bmp and then they pushed me all the way to 170 since I held at 160 for 5 minutes without fatigue.

I did a 75 minute session yesterday at the gym and averaged 153 bpm and a max of 173. This is pretty much circuit training where you never get much of a break and it is a full body workout.

Pacheco_450r
01-03-2012, 05:44 PM
If you have a road bike, try starting with that, it takes less effort than running unless you are doing hills. I think it's a good stepping stone to serious cardio or something to mix in with running which can get boring.

finsteratv
01-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Swim and Run. Swimming imo is great. full body work out and cardio.

quad2xtreme
01-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Swimming is fantastic if you have access to a pool. Running is terrible on your joints.

If you don't have a heart monitor then your workouts will be hit or miss. You could in fact run like you have been and not get exhausted from 2 miles. Likely, you are out of your target heart range. Just run slower and keep it in range. Eventually your time to run 2 miles will decrease thus you are running faster and keeping your heart rate down.

Timex makes a nice heart monitor. I have a Polar FT60. It uploads to the web and provides graphs, etc.

I still suggest a combination of weight training and cardio at the same time.

Longdong
01-03-2012, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dxcody
Whats some of you cardio monsters training programs?

Im officially starting racing in 2012, XC of course.

[/QUOTE

What series?

dxcody
01-03-2012, 11:14 PM
Starting at Attica, IN with MWXC, and just kinda alternating between MAXC and MWXC.

Probably wont race a whole lot this year, just due to the facts of Money, and i have to have a parent with me, blah blah..

As long as i dont have a heart attack before this first race.. im pretty nervous

I thank you for the help guys, I dont really have access to a pool, but i can get a bike. I have a BMX bike but i want a mountain bike since i do have a few bike trails not far from my house.

Running, especially on a treadmill just burns me. I get bored.

I tired to run outside today but its 27 degrees and it didnt take long for me to realize that it was a bad idea.

I wish i did have access to a pool, i do love to swim.

Kovatch
01-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Dave is a freak of nature. He lives about 3/4 down the street from me. I've known him for almost 15-18 years. I graduated with his son. He should give most the motivation that age doesn't factor in, REGARDLESS.

Swimming is great because is has no impact on your joints, any efforts to get into a gym, college, high school, etc would be extremely beneficial.

I found that running/swift paced walk on the treadmill with either boxing gloves or 2-5lb weights in my hands & boxing is killer! I have no factual evidence for it, but I feel like Rocky: jogging and punching for as long as I can. Try it and see if you can keep your arms up the whole time. I find that 5-7 minutes I am near my arms' fail point.

Another is weight training. I try to do more "burner" workouts with low weight and repping until the point of failure: dumbdell & freeweights, with a lot of core (abs) exercises too.

Trust your doctor about the heart condition. It's it not something you should tempt fate about. Make sure your doctor clears you for extreme physical activities.

dxcody
01-04-2012, 08:13 AM
he gave me the clear to do anything.

I told him i used to play football my freshman year of highschool, but riding a 2 hour xc race with no half time, or time outs is (in my opinion) alot worse than a football game with subbing players in and out.

He told me i wasnt in any type of danger and to work out all i wanted, just the cardio wouldnt come as easy to me as it does to most people.

Something about a heart murmur when i was born.

Pappy
01-04-2012, 08:40 AM
My fall/winter workout involves firewood.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/i-WZ8qkND/0/XL/DSC0975-XL.jpg