PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here into jetski's?

yellowzo3
01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
What's up everyone... I started looking into these not too long ago... Nowhere to ride quads around here anymore and a few of my friends bought jetski's so I started checking them out... standup's to be specific. My buddies all have sitdown's but I feel like that would be boring after a while.

I heard the standup's tire you out fairly quickly but I think it'd be fun to mess around on and even just rip around at a lake or something after work in the summer.

I tried finding some active forums but there's not much going on at the sites I visited... and I'm assuming the forums are even deader in the winter months.

Prices seem to be all over the place with these. For some reason it seems like the year, mods, and condition make no difference... People are just pricing them anywhere... :confused:

So how fun are these? I've ridden on sitdown ski's before and it was fun for a while... but never a standup. Is it worth the cost of getting into? From what I've gathered they do cost a nice chunk of change. And if you want to start changing things it adds up fast (of course). The freestyle scene seems almost underground. All amateur videos on youtube and there's never a big crowd or anything watching. Not sure whats up with that.

...So anyways, any help or input is appreciated! I figured there should be a few guys on here that ride so it would be a good place to start. Thanks again!

Tommy Warren
01-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
What's up everyone... I started looking into these not too long ago... Nowhere to ride quads around here anymore and a few of my friends bought jetski's so I started checking them out... standup's to be specific. My buddies all have sitdown's but I feel like that would be boring after a while.

I heard the standup's tire you out fairly quickly but I think it'd be fun to mess around on and even just rip around at a lake or something after work in the summer.

I tried finding some active forums but there's not much going on at the sites I visited... and I'm assuming the forums are even deader in the winter months.

Prices seem to be all over the place with these. For some reason it seems like the year, mods, and condition make no difference... People are just pricing them anywhere... :confused:

So how fun are these? I've ridden on sitdown ski's before and it was fun for a while... but never a standup. Is it worth the cost of getting into? From what I've gathered they do cost a nice chunk of change. And if you want to start changing things it adds up fast (of course). The freestyle scene seems almost underground. All amateur videos on youtube and there's never a big crowd or anything watching. Not sure whats up with that.

...So anyways, any help or input is appreciated! I figured there should be a few guys on here that ride so it would be a good place to start. Thanks again!

look into the bambardier (sea-doo) 3D. it has 3 drifferent seat positions so you can sit, stand, or kneel. they are pretty fun

400exc
01-03-2012, 05:10 AM
Yes, they are really fun.. BUT you do get tired fast. Personally if it was my money, I would spend the money on a sit down than a stand up. You can do more tricks and stuff on the stand up and you get a lot more wet, but it just gets old after a while IMO. I don't want to talk you out of buying what you want, but that is my opinion. You can also haul more lady friends on a sit down than a stand up:D

smr
01-03-2012, 06:03 AM
bought a couple of skis last year and a double trailer. I will say they are a lot of fun but don't buy them thinking you are gonna spend all day riding. In less than 2 hours both tanks were drained. Thats 12 gallon tanks so you might as well figure on about $25.00 an hour to run. I had two skis so I spend about $100.00 for two hours fun.

Like I said, it was fun but to rich for my blood. I sold them and bought another dualsport.

BlaineKaiser450
01-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I have a 1985 JS550 that is fully worked over and everything is modded, Im currently doing a lot of body work and repainting it because its the winter. They are super fun, if you're into boats and that type of thing, they are as much fun as quads/dirtbikes IMO. Now's the right time to buy because they are all a few hundred cheaper than during the summer. Check out www.pwctoday.com for a good forum, similar to this one, for jet skis

yellowzo3
01-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the input guys! And thanks Blaine for the link... looks like a good site with a lot of activity which is what I was looking for. :cool:

I figured it's a fairly expensive hobby, which is sort of pushing me away from jumping into it. But I've been searching the classifieds and found some that aren't too expensive.

As far as getting a sit down... I know I'll get tired and won't be able to go on the long hauls with friends, but I feel like there's nothing to learn on a sitdown. On a standup I could be learning new things everytime I go out and improve my riding... so I'll always have something to work towards.

That is a lot of gas though :p