PDA

View Full Version : quick fly wheel question??

400exBro
02-28-2003, 09:48 PM
if i remove the fly wheel on my ex i don't have to have it all timed up do it ??

i am doing this becuase i am adding a crutuis sparks timing key and maybe have the fly wheel lightened...

thanks.. i need replys fast... my manual doesn't that it needs to be but i am making sure so i don't screw up my timing on the ex...

also for some of you that have removed the fly wheel, the bolt that holds it on it, is suppose to be torqued at 96 lbs correct?? well when i went to pull it off it wasn't troqued properly, we were able to loesen way to easily for 96 lbs... i don't think the fly wheel was put on properly before..... this is kind of scary...

ajr400ex
02-28-2003, 10:01 PM
I had to use an impact wrench to get the bolt off. Then use the flywheel puller to remove the flywheel. Take out the key and replace it with the new one and reassemble everything. The new key has to go in a certain way so the timing is advanced and not retarded. It should be marked on the key or instructions. I got mine from TMM (Tom Miller Motorsports) and it was a little too tight to get it in so I had to polish it slightly. It should fit tight but you shouldn't have to beat the crap out of it to get the key in. Replace the gaskets and put everything back together. No retiming or anything to deal with.

Getting the flywheel lightened will help it rev a little quicker. It also means less mass spinning keeping the motor running at low RPM's so it may stall more if lugging the motor. I didn't have mine done for XC. Alot of the MX guys do it.