PDA

View Full Version : 250ex exhaust problem

sprtrx300ex
02-28-2003, 09:18 PM
My friend just got a mega-max slip-on for his bike. We bolted it up but i noticed that where the head pipe and the slip-on meet, it is sucking in air. I tightened the clamp as far asit goes, but it still leaks. While we were riding i noticed the popping. I knew that by adding on the exhaust it makes the bike lean. I called FMF and they said that as far as jetting goes, the stock jetting should be fine, but I would need to ajust the fuel screw. I turned it to the left (richer) but it still pops. I think this is because of the leak between the head pipe and slip-on. After trurning the screw a little bit we looked at the plug, and it was still white. Will I be able to get an accurate reading even though there is a leak?
Anybody have any suggestions about the popping and how to fix the leak.
THANKS

sprtrx300ex
03-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Anyone?

4wheelinfun
03-01-2003, 09:16 PM
I recently slipped on a mega-max II on my 02 250 ex, it also had this "popping" sound when I let off of the throttle. I discovered that all I needed to do was adjust the disc's on the back of the pipe. I believe there are about 14 of them, I currently run with about 7 of them in, and the "popping" sound has stopped. As for the leak where the pipes join, that needs to be fixed, possibly find some exhaust tape for it. The 250 I have is dyno jetted and bored .20 over, so this info might help, and might not. good luck and hope it starts working correctly.

sprtrx300ex
03-01-2003, 09:22 PM
ok thanks! anyone else?

300exracer
03-01-2003, 11:53 PM
For the exhuast leak just get some of that puddy that seals exhuast leaks that they sell at like walmart.

TRX_Thumper
03-02-2003, 12:14 AM
for the exhaust leak u need to put the stock gasket thats prolly still inside your stock silencer and use it on there..thats what i had to do with my white bros when i had it..

amishtaker
03-02-2003, 01:56 AM
i had that same problem when i put the megamax on my old lady's 250 ex. i put in 12 discs and put some header wrap i used to run on an old go-cart header, then put the clamp over it. it seemed to work and no pop anymore. there are tons of ways, i guess just pick 1 and go for it man! good luck

sprtrx300ex
03-02-2003, 03:13 AM
Thanks Guys

QuadJunkies
03-06-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by 300exracer
For the exhuast leak just get some of that puddy that seals exhuast leaks that they sell at like walmart. I just fixed the same problem, I bought a sealant for my leak,it was like 8.00 i think and its a gasket sealant, most of the bike shops use this stuff when the headpipe and slip on dont fit properly.You could buy a new gasket to fit, but sometime the head pipe is too big for the new one, so I suggest using the seal.Then see if this fixes the problem.. TIna:)