PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get you're wire harness cut?

rabbithuntr14
01-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Any opinions on the best place to send you're wiring harness to to get all the unnecessary crap cut off and clean it up? I heard rich 17 but wanna hear what yall think

DnB_racing
01-01-2012, 09:25 AM
you can do it yourself in about an hour.... If you want I can walk you right through everything.. Ive done dozens...and talked at least 5 people through it with great results

Ive got schematics for just about every combination on what you want to keep,

its up to you here are some colored diagrams to show you different combinations

even if you send it out, you, should decide what is important for you to keep,, have these questions answered for the person doing the harness:::whats the quad used for, do you need the fan, will it ever go back to stock, are lights ever going to be used,do you need the key, do you want a tether, do you plan on running a aftermarket ignition or different carb.. any info that will tell him exactly what you want in the end.

there are many ways to modify a harness, you really are better off doing your self this way you can have it all planed to get the best product possible

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=461586

rabbithuntr14
01-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Really don't have a lot of time right now, I would much rather have it done by somebody and I would like to move all the wires up front (less mess) and all I need I run is the bare necessities, fan and kill switch

DnB_racing
01-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by rabbithuntr14
Really don't have a lot of time right now, I would much rather have it done by somebody and I would like to move all the wires up front (less mess) and all I need I run is the bare necessities, fan and kill switch what year quad?? and is it e start

do you want to keep thermostat to run fan or switch it or hard wire it to run all the time..

I edited my earlier post for different queastions to have answered for the builder

rabbithuntr14
01-01-2012, 09:49 AM
04 Honda kick start, stock carb, no key, no lights, no brake light, it's used for cross country, I am wondering if I should just wire the fan hot or leave it on the thermostat, what's you're opinion on the thermostat? And I plan on leaving it so it probly will never go back to stock

DnB_racing
01-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by rabbithuntr14
04 Honda kick start, stock carb, no key, no lights, no brake light, it's used for cross country, I am wondering if I should just wire the fan hot or leave it on the thermostat, what's you're opinion on the thermostat? And I plan on leaving it so it probably will never go back to stock I like to keep the thermostat ,, on my 06 Im going to put a crf head with no thermostat housing. as such I will be running temp sensor strips, and switch the fan with a toggle,

but if possible I would rather have the thermostat do my checking, and around here in Massachusetts its cold riding quite a bit of the time, if I was hot desert riding I would just hard wire to run all the time..

one thing to keep in mind when choosing someone to modify, is make sure the builder just doesn't remove some of the redundant grounds,

Honda has small ground wires in the harness, but they use several small grounds to make up the necessary circular mil area to have enough grounds to handle the inductive load. if they remove too many of the redundant green grounds you will eventually have issues with oxidation, on all ground points along with pivot points like your pivot bolt,

when assembling your quad with your cut harness make sure that you treat the attachment points accordingly, some bolts are meant to carry the ground and should be treated with a conductive type of lube(noalox)and some bolts like your pivots aren't meant to carry any inductive current and should be treated with a dielectric type of lube to insulate from voltage.

if any volts does stray from the designated ground path, it will cause corrosion from oxidation, (from dissimilar metals with the presence of any electrical current)

just be careful they do it right you wouldn't want any issues down the road, some things will run fine but are a problem just waiting to happen..

this is why I recommend doing yourself, like I said the time to cut the harness is probably less then the time it will take to go to the ups to mail it.. just a thought:)

DnB_racing
01-01-2012, 10:18 AM
this is what I would recommend you having done, notice most of the grounds are still intact,

(some will use one green and splice it, that is a sure fire formula for oxidation issues)