PDA

View Full Version : APEX Long Travel fit Raptor 90?

mtaracing
12-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Anyone know if the suspension from an APEX will fit a 2009 Yamaha Raptor 90? I have taken multiple measurements, and all signs point to yes?

eightysix86
01-01-2012, 06:43 AM
yes ,they will fit !! I am putting standard travel under ours!!

mtaracing
01-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Great. Are you putting the swing arm on as well?

Logan #34's Dad
01-01-2012, 09:05 PM
If you guys can find someone to build that engine into a screaming 125 like the Honda's. That would make these interesting. Bet they would be lighter than a Honda 90.....

eightysix86
01-02-2012, 04:36 AM
I think the stock swing arm is stronger than the apex one!! As far as the motor, GT thunder can make one run. He done some work for me ,But everything was bolt on! We raced the raptor last year,Now putting it back together to ride everyday!!

Logan #34's Dad
01-02-2012, 04:45 AM
I know that when I 1st saw that Yamaha made the 90 a duel a-arm instead of that basically solid axel for a front end I thought it might just work. The one thing I noticed though was how close the front of the engine was to the frame. Leaving no room for a 125 kit. Is it possible? All it would take is to make the engine as fast as a Honda can be made and the aftermarket parts would begin to flow. These "big" companies have know idea how big the youth racing market is.....

mtaracing
01-02-2012, 07:34 AM
If we could make the engine bigger, it would allow my 6 year old to grow with it, especially with the suspension.

If I use the stock swing arm, will the stock apex axle fit into it? Once I put the apex a arms on, they will be substantially wider than the rear. Is that safe? Should I bother with the rear. If I can just swap out the axle, it would make things easier. However, I do have an aftermarket swing arm from maximum rpm.

Logan #34's Dad
01-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by mtaracing
If I use the stock swing arm, will the stock apex axle fit into it? Once I put the apex a arms on, they will be substantially wider than the rear. Is that safe? Should I bother with the rear. If I can just swap out the axle, it would make things easier. However, I do have an aftermarket swing arm from maximum rpm.

Only way to know is if someone has both machines and give it a try. You do not want the front to be much wider than the rear - only a little bit. The wider it is overall the more stable the quad will be. You guys could be onto a whole new race machine for everyone. Amazing how all the kids quads seem to be alot alike isn't it. Most are made by the same company across the pond with different plastics.
Post some pics of the Yamaha before and after....

eightysix86
01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
These raptors are the same as a eton!! (So buy Eton parts there alot cheaper)There are two poeple that i know that built these! GT THUNDER in oh.,MID CAL in cal. I dont know if they have anything with this forum ,but they do support the mini!!! Iam sure the swing arm will bolt up. You will have to have a gear made to fit the hub, the brakes are the same! GT THUNDER does make a 125 kit!!

mtaracing
01-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Well, as everyone said, the apex parts do fit. One regret, I did not take before photos. I will take after though. Both the front and rear fit nicely. Thanks to all who helped, I'm going to check the 125 info posted as well.

Thanks again. Photos to come tomorrow.

Logan #34's Dad
01-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Is there enough room at the front of the engine to expand it forward without hitting the frame or steering stem? You could always put a lowering/pullback kit on the rear mounts, where there's a will there's a way.

yztwo50
02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Want to do the same thing to my son's raptor 90. what apex a-arms did you use? how wide is it now?

mtaracing
02-20-2012, 05:54 PM
I am going to attach some pics, but the A arms I used were from the stock apex. I have other photos in the forum with an aftermarket Apex suspension that is a little wider, which will fit as well. I am trying to sell them if you are interested. Navigate to the url.http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=482475&highlight=APEX+long+travel

As far as these pics, stock apex a arms on the front. I took the a arms, spindles, brakes, wheels, etc all off the apex and put on the raptor. The rear I used the long travel Maximum RPM Swing Arm with the extended axle. You could always use spacers for the rear if you did not want to buy the axle. The width is 37.5". It is 5 inches wider than my stock 2011 Raptor 125.

mtaracing
02-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Photo 2

mtaracing
02-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Photo 3

mtaracing
02-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Raptor 90 vs Raptor 125