PDA

View Full Version : 2003 kfx 400 wont idle

weeman69xx303
12-31-2011, 04:31 PM
just picked up a 2003 kfx 400 2 weeks ago when i picked it up it ran perfectly. its been sitting for 2 weeks and ive started it up every couple days and just let it run. i had it running today getting ready to ride and it just died. i can get it running if i really gas it when i start it but it wants to die once i get off the gas. what could this be?

cataway
01-01-2012, 06:41 PM
lets start by cleaning the carb

weeman69xx303
01-02-2012, 11:10 PM
that will be the first thing i do just wanted to know if there was anyone who has had this problem before. quad also doesnt have a baffle on it but runs fine through the gears and if i adjust the throttle a little bit so there is no play in it, it will idle fine but a little high

weeman69xx303
01-07-2012, 01:44 PM
carbs clean and it still does it, seems like its misfiring almost, changed the coil and doing the cdi box now. maybe the valves?

sand_blaster
01-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Does it idle with the choke on? Or even barley on? My brothers dvx would do that when it was out of tune. Try riding it with the choke barley on to, I have an idea it might work like that.

cataway
01-08-2012, 12:32 PM
what position is the petcock on ?

weeman69xx303
01-12-2012, 02:41 PM
checked the valves heres what i came up with so far and im waitin on the shim kit
intake .006 and .004
exhaust .008 and .020
hopefully thats all that is is but the guy at the shop said they shouldnt be that off on a stock motor and that the second exhaust valve is way off from all the others so there may be another problem with the valves

weeman69xx303
01-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Not that anyone even answers on this forum anymore like they used to but ill post anyway. I did the valves and it now can hold an idle but still seems like its misfiring. rode it all night and it rode but did cut out when i got off the gas. next ill try a carb rebuild with new jets. also the fan never seemed to come on, what could i do to trouble shoot that?

audioworks04
01-28-2012, 02:16 PM
No one post on the forum because you didnt post up what you have tried yet other than clean carb and check valves. Why did you start it for short periods of time? It is hard on a motor to start it and shut it off without it even getting up to operating temp. If you are worried about storing it, then store it right and put stabilizer in the gas before the last time you ride it, keep a battery tender on it and up on a stand. Now that we have that covered, it could be a number of things.
Sounds to me like bad gas, or a weak spark. But some of the things to help trouble shoot.
1.) How old is your fuel?
2.) How clean is your air filter?
3.) How did you clean your carb, did you take everything out of it and clean it with carb cleaner and compressed air?
4.) Have you looked at the plug yet?
5.) Did you check any of your electronics with a meter yet to see if they are still in spec?
6.) Is it colder outside than when you stored it, temperature will affect jetting just as an elevation change will.
7.)

weeman69xx303
01-29-2012, 04:41 PM
not really sure what youre talkin about storing the bike for....fuel doesnt go bad in a matter of a week or two but yes i know how to store a bike.
fuel (super) and filter were both done when i cleaned the tank out and cleaned the carb. the carb was cleaned by taking everything out and cleaning it with carb cleaner and checking everything inside it that it was working ok.
cdi box coil valves adjusted and spark plug were also done at the same time. and it is the same temp as when i picked up the quad a month ago.
i have already checked all of the obvious problems, which is why im posting a question up here....
not really sure what you mean about starting it for short periods of time, it got up warm was taken around then put away, not started then shut off right away.
now that we have all of the irrelevant stuff out of the way. any other suggestions?

weeman69xx303
05-16-2012, 07:16 PM
adjusted the valves and it made a difference now it just idles but still isnt running perfect, did a compression test and got 120psi dry 150 wet so i am looking to see if its possibly the rings, or maybe the valves are completely shot. also looking into doing the jets.