PDA

View Full Version : Very Odd Coolant Leak

BULLET99Z28
12-31-2011, 03:58 AM
Motor- 1st overbore on CT310, new base gasket and head o-rings, wossner piston. Maybe 90 minutes of run time.

So recently I got it wet at the carwash, so I pulled the carb n reeds and cleaned everything out and dried it. Pulled the plug, crank it over while blowing compressed air through the intake and in the spark plug hole. Just to be safe I stood her up on the tail, and ran the kicker by hand slowly while blowing the crank case out with the compressor. Then I noticed what seemed to be light green colored water running down out of the intake port.Well,not rnning out, but droplets coming out What would cause this? The radiator is still full, hasn't lost any during break in,no fluid at the weep hole,and the tranny fluid is new and clean,drained it and checked it for signs of water(all new hinson parts,89 upgrade,etc).

Why would it leak into the motor standing up? Bad head oring? It doesn't blow white smoke, and seemed to run hard, plug looked good. Just wanna nip this in te bud as I just installed the CR250 igniton and wanna ride. It was kinda hard to start cold before, figured that was from the12:1 compression though. Thanks

DnB_racing
12-31-2011, 07:38 AM
is there a chance its actually from the flanged coolant line intake to the cylinder, or a small hose leak? and not from inside the intake....

if its definitely from the intake itself, I would check the o'rings,

and was the head and cylinder checked for being true?

hopefully its not leaking around the sleeve

fearlessfred
01-01-2012, 12:08 AM
does the fluid smell like coolant

C-LEIGH RACING
01-02-2012, 07:26 AM
Sometimes, if to long of a bolt is used, in the top center hole for the reed & intake manifold, it will punch threw into the coolant jacket on the cylinder & cause a leak. How much the bolt punches threw will be how much that hole will leak. Maybe on yours, it was just enough to crack the casting & cause a drip.

Even if there should be a crack or hole punched threw in that thread hole, with the gaskets & reed in place & the gasket sealed, it normally wont leak, but anything can happen at any time.
Neil

BULLET99Z28
01-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Well, I got it figured out. I pulled the head an the inner oring was kinda chewed up, in fact it appeared to be to large. I went to the dealer and got a yz250 oring and it cured the leak and fit perfect. Neil- the bolts I use on the intake are good on length, I checked the fit when building the bike and bought appropriate sized bolts.

The good news- she fired right up w the cr ignition, ran great.

The bad- I took her out to do some gravel road riding and break it in more. It was getting dark and I was almost back to the truck and it siezed up. Blew a hose and it overheated. I didn't even realize it. Shoulda bought new friggin hoses.