PDA

View Full Version : 450r Shocks, first impressions.

duneslider
12-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Well, I bought some 450r shocks a few weeks back and threw them on last night as I had a last minute dune trip come up.

I hit the dunes today with the new shocks and have a few observations.

I backed the pre-load all the way off, turn both adjusters all the way to the "S".

Installed shocks and measuring from the frame to the ground with the stock shocks and the 450's gave me EXACTLY the same measurement. Holding the two next to each other without the weight of the machine on them showed the 450 shock to be about 1/8-1/4" longer eye-eye. These shocks were said to be off an 07.

In reading other install write ups I wasn't exactly sure what I would have to grind, cut, modify. I had to grind the welded nuts slightly and had the grind the shocks near the upper mounts slightly. I felt better about taking a hair off the shocks than digging into the frame mounts. There is NO way the small amount taken from the shocks could weaken them, I found a lot of people saying that it would weaken the shocks. BS!

I weighted myself with my gear on, minus helmet and camel back. 197#

I thought the shocks worked great. Didn't feel like I needed to make any adjustments for dune riding. Handled everything I threw at them and didn't do anything weird. I don't race MX but do hit the trails pretty hard and I think the dirt will be a better test.

What I did notice big time, is how bad the back end now bucks around. I have got to do something to calm the back down. Maybe it always did it this bad but I never noticed. The back end really needs some work.

Will the GT thunder XC link be enough to calm it down? Will it help a little? Or is a revalve respring also needed?

duneslider
12-30-2011, 09:28 PM
Needed a picture!

Stickman400
12-30-2011, 10:39 PM
I am told that the GT Thunder link helps ALOT, and takes pretty much all the buck out of the rear. I just got done installing one, but my wheeler is stripped down right now so I won't be able to get a decent review on it for a couple months here. I also had my rear shock re-valved for my weight and the link. I don't think it's needed, but it will help. And I also have 450R fronts that are stock and I like mine alot, they are very nice on bigger jumps and don't bottom out nearly as bad when tuned.

HondaRacing83
12-30-2011, 10:43 PM
id like to pick up some kfx or yfz shocks. they seem a little better than r, but any kind of 450 shock i see for a good price ill snap up. there is some ltr shocks on cl, but ive never seen them done before?

dustin_j
12-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by duneslider

I weighted myself with my gear on, minus helmet and camel back. 197#

I thought the shocks worked great. Didn't feel like I needed to make any adjustments for dune riding. Handled everything I threw at them and didn't do anything weird. I don't race MX but do hit the trails pretty hard and I think the dirt will be a better test.

What I did notice big time, is how bad the back end now bucks around. I have got to do something to calm the back down. Maybe it always did it this bad but I never noticed. The back end really needs some work.

Will the GT thunder XC link be enough to calm it down? Will it help a little? Or is a revalve respring also needed?

The GT Thunder links work great to eliminate the bucking. However, for anyone over 150 pounds, you definately need a respring and revalve. Anyone under 150, the stock spring should work, but a revalve still helps a ton!

Jimbo M
01-01-2012, 10:57 AM
I have Kawasaki KFX 450r shocks for sale in the Suzuki Central forum under the classifieds suspension section. I used these for about 2 years on my Kawasaki KFX 400 - very nice upgrade. I had Honda 450r shocks on my 400 but I thought they were way too stiff for me - I weigh 160 without my gear on. The upper portion of the shock was milled to fit into the upper shock bracket - so its a direct bolt on. I have pictures of the shocks both on and off my quad. The only reason I'm selling them is because I got new shocks for Christmas.

duneslider
01-02-2012, 10:52 AM
I will look into the link and see what difference that will make. For what they sell those links for, they must be proud of them.

Just out of curiousity, did Honda make changes to the 450 link to solve this problem? How close is the 450 link to the 400 link?

dustin_j
01-02-2012, 12:57 PM
The 04/05 GT Thunder MX link is the same as the 400EX link (except the notch), not sure on the XC links. The 06+ 450R links are better, but still not good enough in my opinion. Check out GT Thunder's website; if you have any questions I'd be happy to help.

duneslider
01-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks, I was just hoping for a cheap upgrade. Thought if the stock 450 link was better it would be a cheap fix. Stock links are a dime a dozen on eBay.

HondaRacing83
01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
does anyone know if ltr450 shocks will work?

duneslider
01-03-2012, 01:51 PM
The ltr shocks will work, kind of. They are similar to the yfz shocks. I wouldn't do them unless you get them cheap.

HondaRacing83
01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
my only concern is how the rezzy is on them.

duneslider
01-03-2012, 02:30 PM
That shouldn't matter unless you have scoopes. Personally, I think it looks silly with their wierd res. I don't know how servicable the shocks are either. Lots of shock builders have the Honda shocks worked out.

dustin_j
01-03-2012, 07:34 PM
The LTR shocks are rebuildable just like the 450R and YFZ shocks. However, the stock LTR shocks are too long to work on a ST 400EX and too short to work for LT. It may be possible to shorten them to work on a 400EX, but then you're talking a full service anyways.

duneslider
01-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Dustin,

I checked out gt thunders site, and the part numbers for the links don't match up but you say the 04/05 mx link is the same for the 400 and 450. Could I assume the 06+ is similar? There is a guy locally selling an 06+ xc link for a good price, pretty cheap actually, and I thought about buying it to try it out.

On second thought, The part number is 06-002 and that upon closer inspection says it is for custom built shocks so that is gonna be a no go. I will have to keep my eyes out for a 400ex link.

dustin_j
01-03-2012, 10:30 PM
No, the 04/05 and 06+ 450R links are much different; 06+ are significantly longer to account for the swingarm change. I only know that the 04/05 GTT mx link is the same as the 400ex mx link, except the 400ex has the cutout to clear the frame; you'd have to cutout the 450 link for it to work on a 400ex. For this reason the part numbers are different. 400ex links are the same for all years.

For what the links do, it's best to get the correct link for your application, and have the shock setup for the link (spring and valving). Sometimes used XC links pop up, so keep your eye open. There was one in the for sale section a few months ago that I don't think sold, not sure if he still has it. Good luck.

duneslider
01-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks Dustin, that's pretty much what I had determined last night. I am just trying to be a cheap skate. I bought the 400ex for my wife but ended up realizing how much I like atv's and sold my dirt bike so I am riding this for a bit until I decide what I want for me so I haven't wanted to spend too much on it.