PDA

View Full Version : 416 temp

cumby199
12-29-2011, 09:26 PM
I just recently put a 416 and stage 2 hot cam in my four Wheeler. I also got a jet kit and i put the 170 jet in. That was the biggest one thats in the kit. But while riding through trails today my temp on my trail tech reached 298. My trail tech is hooked up to the top center of my motor not on the spark plug like it should be. But i read on here that temps should be from 220-260. I ride alot of trails so i am wondering what i can do to make it run cooler or is that temp normal? I would really like to make it run cooler. Please let me know what you have.

CJM
12-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Id check to make sure your jetted correctly by yanking the plug and seeing where your at. 170 is about right for most applications.

As for temps, never measured them on mine but it does get hot in the warmer months.

You could ad a spal 4" puller fan to your oil cooler, a larger oil tank if you want to try and keep temps down.

Thumpin440ex
12-29-2011, 11:14 PM
So the temp prob is in the head?? I would say that is prob not horrible.. You fig there is no fins on the head it self to cool, it is at the top end of the combustion chamber.. I would take a look into the oil temp.. Opt oil temp is about 200-220.. I would bet it is close.. You can always add a bigger oil ressi, or like CJM said a fan..

John

cumby199
12-30-2011, 09:46 AM
So if i get a larger oil pan will it help? And what about air scoups? Also where could i get a fan like that. My spark plug was dark the other day when i checked it. So i dont think that is the problem

CJM
12-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Larger oil tank can be had on ebay, CFM or UM, same as the spal fan. Search for a 4 inch puller fan on ebay.

I wouldnt be too concerned about temps-specially using that trail tech gizmo. Id rather take a laser thermometer and see what ya get-100x more accurate.

cumby199
12-31-2011, 09:43 AM
I looked at the fans and would it be better to put a bigger oil tank snd a fan or buy a oil cooler kit? Im just looking for something that when i ride trails or when i race its not going to get so hot that it burns up?

Also if there any links you can put on here i would appreciate it. Thanls

Thumpin440ex
12-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Give the oil tank a shot first.. The fan is NOT a must, but is good in cooling it off a few more deg..

John

tri5ron
12-31-2011, 01:24 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=446745&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=384244&highlight=cooler

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=391138

Thumpin440ex
12-31-2011, 02:15 PM
The idea of a fan is cool. But I have been thinking.. Unless you are sitting at idle for a long time, I do not see that fan actually cooling more then air blowing through the radi at riding speed, but possible at a stop.. A bigger cooler will def help as it is more area being cooled.. You would need a fan built with a shroud that is pulling air through the entire radi, not just a small section.. Hmmm, I see the first and 2nd one working as the fan is the size of the cooler.. All 3 did use a bigger cooler though..

John

2muchquad
01-03-2012, 07:19 PM
definately do the oil tank if your serious about heat issues.I did all 3 on my last 400 and will do the same on my "new"one.;) theres creek crossings where we ride and if you have a bigger oil tank it can help cool the oil when it gets wet in the crossings.every bit helps when it comes to air cooled...