PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise after rebuild

Quadfather
02-28-2003, 07:02 PM
I had a 416 kit installed, JE piston, Hotcams Stage II, HD valve springs, ect, from a reputable dealer. I rode it for the first time today, and when it's idling, or decelerating while riding, I hear a noise that I've never heard before. It's a "ching.......ching ching" noise. It certainly sounds like a metal on metal kinda noise. It's not overly loud, but noticable. Any ideas from someone that has heard this before?

I called the dealer, and they told me to bring it in for a look see. There is also some gray matter in between my valve head, and the head. I supplied them with a complete gasket kit. Would they have used the gaskets, and some kind of liquid gasket material as well?

Quadfather
03-01-2003, 01:06 AM
anyone???????

TRX300X
03-01-2003, 01:47 AM
If they bored it too large for the piston that could be the skirt slapping around in the selve that you're hearing. Or if the thrust washers on the crank went and the rod is moving around may be it. It's really hard to tell without looking at it and listening to it.

KandK952
03-01-2003, 09:50 PM
my bet is that it is the cam making that noise. if it is than it is normal. i thought something was up when i got my cam and head done but thats all it was. yours may be different though. i couldnt be sure without hearing it.

RAPTORAZ
03-02-2003, 12:34 AM
If it only does it when cold, it's probably the piston. Forged pistons don't heat up as fast as cast pistons. What happens is the cylinder expands faster than the piston and you start getting piston slap. If the noise goes away when it's warm, don't worry about it. Both my 416EX and my buddies 440EX have audible piston slap when cold.

Chanman420q
03-02-2003, 02:35 AM
mabey ur valves need adjustment :confused:

honda250xrider
03-02-2003, 02:57 AM
i would check your vavles first, when i had my engine redone my engine starting making taping noises and sure enough it was from the vavles, but it may be the slap of the piston hitting the skirt.

Quadfather
03-02-2003, 03:11 AM
Thanks guys. It only does it after it is warmed up a good bit. I dropped it off today, and they are going to look at it.

ChadEXer
03-03-2003, 02:36 PM
If everything was done right then I would guess it would be the valves! i dont know why but when I had my 416 put in it had a weird noise which sounded like the vlaves to me,,,,my friend had a 440 put in and his done the same thing, even after the valves were adjusted,,,,I always though that after a bore was put in you would have to adjust the valves pretty close to break in, but Tom at TC says you shouldnt have to adjust the valves for a long time,,,and with my 505 I don't hear that noise like I did with the 416,,,and its broke in good and the valves still sound great!!

Dune Surfer
03-04-2003, 01:31 AM
They may have made the same mistake I did, Putting the piston in backwards. On stock the mark goes to the intake side aftermarket is the exhaust. It makes your valves barly touch the piston. Whatever it is I would tear it down and find the problem before it breaks something.

quadrcr87
03-04-2003, 08:20 PM
i just put a cam and heavy duty valve springs and a 12/1 piston in a 250x and it made the same noise i just adjusted the valves

Str8Wicked
03-04-2003, 09:27 PM
maybe he left a screw in there lol...... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Quadfather
03-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Here's an update. The shop did a few tests, compression, leakdown, and checked the valves. They rode it, and rode it, trying to duplicate the noise, but it stopped doing it. I went to the shop, and rode it around for a good bit, and couldn't coax it into making the noise again.

I know mechanical problems don't just fix themselves. I know the mechanic is top notch. Do you think something just wasn't seated right, and running it through some heat cycles seated it? Could it have been the valves and it was fixed when he adjusted them? I'm really impressed with the pulling power of this quad now, and I like the speed/power, but I'm nervous riding it knowing something wasn't right. Should I just ride it, and be happy, and if it grenades, start over?

UglyMotha™
03-06-2003, 10:33 AM
well what else are you goin to do sit there and stare at it......

ride the mofo **** happens if it gernades it gernades but you'll never know unless you ride it

**********uh the foul language blocker thingy isn't working so i edited my post

Str8Wicked
03-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Just send me the motor and I'll send you my stock one so you don't have to worry bout it...

quadrcr87
03-06-2003, 06:51 PM
i just got web cam, 12:1 wiseco piston and heavy duty lalve springs. when it first started it made a ticking sound. i adjusted valves and it stopped. but today after a 1 hour ride it ticked again. can the valves alredy need adjustment again?