PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Shifter Options???

fastrnrik
12-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Have been considering a shifter for our Cobra. Obviously Cobra makes a 70 shifter motor, but I was looking for input from others that have switched to a bike based 65 motor.
We would probably just leave it stock until he learns to shift and rides it well.

Some options....

Cobra's new 65 bike motor is a PV setup which is interesting, but probably not very cost effective.

I see a lot of guys running the KX65 motor in the Cobra. I was interested because most bike guys I've talked to consider the KX 65 to be low man on the pole for power. Maybe it works better in the quad? I dunno, that's why I asked.

KTM 65. Supposedly the best of the 65's?

I see the KX & KTM motors can had fairly inexpensively which is a plus LOL

Any info on motors, pipes, etc would be great.

Hetrick Racing
12-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Probably the main reason most people choose the kx is like you said price.In my term in the atv world the kx is also a very reliable engine ktm had some crank issues at one time and when you added the extra weight of the atv it didn't help,although I believe they have resolved most of those troubles.Also the KTM problem is the width of the back of the engine,makes the swing arm pivot a bit thin for my liking.
Pipes well that is an opinion,or a rider preference a good torque pipe is the trackside(makes the same or close to the same hp)rev is a PC, DEP is a good all around pipe,FMF is ok all around so that will be up to you