PDA

View Full Version : Crank Key- Please look, quick ? PIC

BULLET99Z28
12-28-2011, 04:49 PM
How does the key look in the crank, depth wise. I put this new oem key in a couple months ago when swapping ignitions, and am in the middle of installing an 01 CR igniton. I'm already to go, just need to bolt on the flywheel. Should I try and get it out, and set it so its not so deep in the keyway, or do they always press in that far due to the taper? Thanks guys

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x237/BULLET99Z28/2011-12-28140238.jpg

audioworks04
12-28-2011, 04:57 PM
That looks too deep to me, but pictures can be deceiving. Is that a stock crank? I would get a new key just to be on the safe side.

BULLET99Z28
12-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Not sure if it is a stock crank, it does have a short rod Hot Rods rod though. The motor came out of an 86, lower end looked to be rebuilt right before I bought it. When you look at it from the end of the crank, the key does stick up into the flywheel. The key was brand new 3 months ago, and only rode about an hour.

deathman53
12-28-2011, 06:45 PM
replace the key, it looks like its worn form something. Maybe you didn't torque the flywheel enough. I have 250rs with many more hours and the key doesn't look like that, also ktm 2 strokes that weren't near as bad, I replaced the key on one of them, just to be safe, it probably was the original key from 98. One of my friends, I replaced 3 woodruff keys on his 250r, he kept wearing them out and shearing them, turned out, I didn't use a impact to tighten it and it didn't tighten it enough, used a impact on it the next time and it didn't break. Sadly 6 months later, the trike got stolen.

BULLET99Z28
12-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Honestly, the key looks way better in person, its not wore down or sheared at all. I used a very good impact and loctite when I installed the new 89 style ignition. It just seems to be sitting to deep in the keyway, but if you look at the back side of the flywheel, the keyway is very shallow and gets deeper as you get to the outside of the flywheel. Remember, the flywheel bore tapers, but the keyway stays straight, gettin deeper as you get to the outside edge. Really, the key gets forced down farther as the flywheel goes farther on. I should have paid closer attention when I removed the original 86 set up.

Edit- The flywheel nut was very tight when I removed the 89 flywheel the other day, and it was snug even with the puller. Timing was spot on also.