PDA

View Full Version : Brake Lines

B.Rich108
12-28-2011, 12:28 PM
I feel like this is a dumb question but here it is. Is there a difference between my stock brake lines and the hydrolic steel brake lines? I ask because I want to get the steel brake lines but I am not sure if I can just put them on and they will be fine or if I have to do something with them. I know they are better than the stock lines and
I want to get them but I want to know what I'm getting into before I pick them up. Thanks guys.

CJM
12-28-2011, 12:31 PM
The steel lines are the same type as the stock lines, just steel braided line vs rubber.

The lines connect the same way if you buy a kit with the splitter (3 lines). If you buy 2 separate line kit they come with a larger banjo bolt that goes into the master for the lines and you need +1 lines if that is the case due to how you route them (least I did).

I shoulda went with the 3 line setup as the 2 is ok but the bolt sticks out a bit further than I like.

Dibble_Brandon
12-28-2011, 12:34 PM
I just installed some new steel brake lines yesterday. They are a direct replacement, and will connect to your master cylinder and both brakes the same way the OEM lines did.

B.Rich108
12-28-2011, 12:37 PM
awesome, thanks a lot guys.

duneslider
12-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Just remember you need to thoroughly bleed the system after swapping the new lines.

Dibble_Brandon
12-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by duneslider
Just remember you need to thoroughly bleed the system after swapping the new lines.

^^^That...^^^

Also, Use DOT 4 Brake fluid, and you will need a 8mm wrench to open the bleeder valves.

B.Rich108
12-28-2011, 02:48 PM
what do I have to do to bleed the lines?

Dibble_Brandon
12-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by B.Rich108
what do I have to do to bleed the lines?

These are my own steps that i take to bleed brakes myself. Hopefully this is understandable lol

1. Secure all brake lines properly

2. Fill master cylinder with DOT 4 brake fluid

3. Use an 8mm wrench to loosen the bleeder valve on one side of the front atv brakes
(on top of the brake cylinder, there is a rubber nipple covering the bleeder valve)

4. Apply full pressure to the brake lever, hold in, then tighten the bleeder valve back up
(might have to do this a few times, as it take a few pumps to get fluid to start coming out at first, and all the air out of the system)

After the first side is done, follow step 4 for the other brake cylinder until the brakes have full pressure in the lines again

These steps also apply to the rear, but there is only one brake cylinder to bleed

CJM
12-28-2011, 04:13 PM
I tried it all to bleed the brakes andget a good firm lever. Only thing I ever found to work is using a vacuum bleeder. Pump the vac bleeder up and then open the bleeder screw on the caliper and repeat till its firm.

tri5ron
12-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I tried it all to bleed the brakes andget a good firm lever. Only thing I ever found to work is using a vacuum bleeder. Pump the vac bleeder up and then open the bleeder screw on the caliper and repeat till its firm.
X2

Dibble_Brandon
12-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by CJM

I feel ya there, wish i had a vac bleeder lol

My lever isnt super firm, but it will lock em up when i smash on it :)

tri5ron
12-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Dibble_Brandon
I feel ya there, wish i had a vac bleeder lol

My lever isnt super firm, but it will lock em up when i smash on it :)

Uhmmm,...

We ARE still talking brakes here,..... RIGHT ???

**I FEEL ya there ** ?? & smashing on your semi-limp lever ???

I'm confused :devil:

DirtyBirdRacing
12-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Last month when I put my lines back on I was pumping and pumping the lever, opening the bleeders repeating over and over again and couldn't get any fluid to fill the lines I ended up having to place a small rubber hose over the bleeder and sucked the fluid trough the lines... BTW break fluid DOESN'T taste good at all!

tri5ron
12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by DirtyBirdRacing
Last month when I put my lines back on I was pumping and pumping the lever, opening the bleeders repeating over and over again and couldn't get any fluid to fill the lines I ended up having to place a small rubber hose over the bleeder and sucked the fluid trough the lines... BTW break fluid DOESN'T taste good at all!
http://www.amazon.com/Brake-Bleeder-Vacuum-Pump-Kit/dp/B005BT90DI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1325362429&sr=8-10

dxcody
12-31-2011, 09:08 PM
gravity bleed, thats what i do and it is MUCH easier.

Just take the little bleeder out all the way, fill up the resse, wait until it drains down like half way and just keep filling it up until brake fluid starts flowing out of the bleeder port, put the bleeder in and your good.

Thats for the rear though, idk if you can do that for the front.