PDA

View Full Version : Where to Ride???

wolfe 21
12-28-2011, 06:19 AM
I've finally gotten my stuff sorted enough to be ridden and have everything else I want modded on my wheeler done, but now I've got nowhere to ride. In the 2 years since I've gone last, the farm we used to ride the majority of our time was sold, tilled and planted in corn and beans. No more riding for me.
SO..., does anybody have any recommendations of trails in the Southeast Ohio region. Somewhere east of columbus, north of the river and west of PA/WV would be nice. Live in little hole in the wall bout 35 miles east of Zanesville. Not interested in MX tracks, just open trail systems or even a nice loggin/fire road relatively close to me.

Thanks, James.

quad2xtreme
12-28-2011, 06:59 AM
2.5 hr south down 77 to Logan, WV. You have 3 major Hatfield McCoy Trailheads there. This isn't exactly a day trip for you but well worth an overnight stay for 2 days of riding.

We live in NC without any good trail riding around (I won't ride illegally). My wife and I travel to Burning Rock, Carolina Adventure World, Hatfield McCoy, and Black Mountain. The closest is 3.5 hrs and the furthest is about 6 hours. We've adapted to less frequent but longer weekend trips like this. We generally ride a minimum of 3 days.

jake55
12-28-2011, 07:22 AM
a nice place to ride close to you is Crow Canyon. easy to get to, take I 77 north out of cambridge to urhicsville. easy access and they are open 7 days a week most of the time, they also have a service shop and supply store. they have a national style mx track, pee wee track and tons of trails from mild to wild. lots of u-tube vids out about this place.

if your 35 miles east of Zanesville you have to be dang close to cambridge?!?!? if thats the case, your less than 30 minutes from Crow Canyon.

blacknblue#2
12-28-2011, 07:23 AM
I also was gonna suggest hatfield. Like said there are 3 major trailheads within a mornings drive of logan. Rockhouse being my pick of the bunch. If you dont wanna drive quite that far just south of charleston on 119 is little coal river. Its not quite up to par with the more southern trailheads but well worth the drive for a day of riding.

quad2xtreme
12-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
I also was gonna suggest hatfield. Like said there are 3 major trailheads within a mornings drive of logan. Rockhouse being my pick of the bunch. If you dont wanna drive quite that far just south of charleston on 119 is little coal river. Its not quite up to par with the more southern trailheads but well worth the drive for a day of riding.

totally agree on this assessment. If you like a fast pace without obstacles, Bear Wallow had a great loop you can take pretty much around the perimeter.

wolfe 21
12-28-2011, 11:41 PM
cool, thanks for the information everyone. I will have to keep the hatfield trails in mind for a future trip once I get some vacation time at work. I've heard of crow canyon, even watched several of the youtube vids, and will probably have to go there once the weather warms up. My riding buddies are all fair weather guys, so snow or winter wind pretty much shut them down for the year. I'm about 25 minutes north of Cambridge and about the same from eurichsville. Just outside newcomerstown for anybody familiar with the area.

Anybody got any suggestions for somewhere family friendly. My friend has 3 kids and I doubt he'd be willing to leave them home for any trips longer than a day.

James.

400exc
12-30-2011, 04:49 AM
Wayne National Forest is pretty close to you. Great trails.