PDA

View Full Version : Roll Design CRF Flat Tracker

pinitatv
12-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I picked up this TT Roll Design 250r converted CRF a few months back as a project/fixer upper. It's 1 of only a hand full of TT chassis' that were ever built by Doug, rumor is that it once belonged to Keith Little.

Its a pretty clean conversion but I wanted to make a few things better.

Here are a few pictures of when I first got it.

pinitatv
12-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Its a narrow front with a +4

pinitatv
12-27-2011, 09:13 PM
The swing arm was a little hacked up to get the chain alignment close..

pinitatv
12-27-2011, 09:15 PM
...and a little more hacking to make the motor fit

pinitatv
12-27-2011, 09:19 PM
The motor was actually a little crooked in the frame so I fixed the lower left frame rail and remounted the entire motor straight.

pinitatv
12-27-2011, 09:24 PM
The only way I could fix the chain alignment was to build a new swing arm so I made one and saved a few pounds over the modified Roll that was in it.

89trx250r
12-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Everything I have ever seen you post is always awesome pinit im looking forward to seeing the rest of the pics as it comes together :)

matt250r21
12-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Awesome job on the repairs.

becci4
12-28-2011, 10:52 AM
This was Keiths frame I almost picked it up. I called Keith to ask about it and he said it was his.

mx Eli
12-28-2011, 11:15 AM
ahh I was waiting for this jody,

with new powder coating this frame looks amazing, craftsmanship off the charts, nice guy to deal with too

97Rocks
12-28-2011, 03:43 PM
I have seen it up close. SUPER NICE!! Someone will enjoy it. Hurry up somebody and buy it so pinit can finish my Laeger KTM!

pinitatv
12-28-2011, 07:32 PM
THANKS for all the kind comments!!

Its always cool to see/have a "Pro" bike, I knew this one was probably special when I started taking it apart because all components were pretty light and there was a fair amount of Ti on the bike. Anyway its cool to know some of the history.

MrRocks, I haven't even put a for sale sign on it yet... Don't worry the KTM will be done before you know it.

Here's a custom exhaust I built for it, my own little bomb of sorts :D

pinitatv
12-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Other than the exhaust on a hybrid it seems like the intake is always a compromise, never quite the right length or the right angle or the right amount to room for a big carb!!!! I made a few changes to the frame so I could put a big carb on the motor.

protrax
12-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Looks Great Jody!

mx Eli
12-28-2011, 10:11 PM
btw jody have you looked into doing the extra chamber off you exhuast header like the joe byrd edition dasa or baldwin pipes? I know what there called but dont know how to spell it haha.
ressonans chamber, ressanons chamber... forgive me

pinitatv
12-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Yes I have one in the works right now, I'm building it for my wife's laeger CRF just to see how it works.

Here's a bigger bomb that I recently built for a laeger CRF.

hontrx265r
12-29-2011, 06:58 AM
we have had both styles of dasa one with the chamber and one without on the dyno back to back, only difference is noise. Basically no performance gain behind that style. Not sure about the fmf style which seems better imo.

FW_cArBoN
12-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Jody,
As always, your works in amazing! I can't wait to see the final product of this machine!

Keep it up buddy!

- Jason

mx Eli
12-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
we have had both styles of dasa one with the chamber and one without on the dyno back to back, only difference is noise. Basically no performance gain behind that style. Not sure about the fmf style which seems better imo.

any decrease in noise without baffles and stuff is great. thats why jody's cans are so big and long, keep me updated on your work on the chambers, might be looking for somthing new for 2012:chinese:

JOHNDOE83
12-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Nice work!!!!

That head pipe is BAD TO THE BONE!!!!

pinitatv
12-29-2011, 10:17 PM
265r - You're right on the head pipes I don't think there is any performance to be gained in either the FMF or dasa, but what I'm after is a larger diameter core in my can. I've found that a larger core will help mid to top and over rev but the trade off is sound so if I can save 2db on the head pipe and make the core bigger in the end I'm making more HP.

The ice racing group I play with once in a while makes everyone meet 99db with their stuff even though our state laws says 96db. Once you start running big valve motors with big cams and more overlap they get louder automatically so that's what I'm after with my BOMBs and quite canisters.

pinitatv
12-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Jason - thanks!!! I think I'm going to need a sticker kit for this before its done, what do you think?

Here it is starting to go together

pinitatv
12-29-2011, 10:27 PM
I wasn't sure on the color but here it is Blue and Flat Black with white full bores.

pinitatv
12-29-2011, 10:40 PM
A little more progress.

judecrf
12-30-2011, 05:25 AM
great job as always jody .fine looking work .

ryanowarrior
12-30-2011, 07:47 AM
What color blue is that ^^ that looks badass

mx Eli
12-30-2011, 08:30 AM
still no chance of you coming down to our series? I'm trying to get get a small group to come up and race with you guys

pinitatv
12-30-2011, 08:47 AM
I thInk the color is ribbon blue it's a standard sherwin Williams color.

Eli. I doubt I'll see any seat time this year, if I'm lucky maybe I'll get to go watch one or two.

mx Eli
12-30-2011, 04:03 PM
haha I can see the ktm waiting in the back... those quads beg to be ridden! you ever get the mx setup quads out on the track?

pinitatv
01-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Its far from done but I'm getting closer. it needs a new sticker kit/seat cover for sure.

Eli - Every time I walk by the KTM I think about getting it back on the ice but it won't happen this year.... The MXers are really just fast trail riders I don't like to fly, I like all four or at least two wheels on the ground at all times. :D

mx Eli
01-02-2012, 05:08 PM
hahah trail riders :D flying is fun just gota get used to it, its gota be around time for the kids of yours to start trail riding? you ever want to see one of them win on a mx track let me know I would be honored to ride a pinit quad!

Also I heard bradys rubber quad finished, how it turn out?

pinitatv
01-02-2012, 08:43 PM
No the kids are too little for any real riding yet the daughter is 2yrs 9mths and the little guy just turned 7 months so riding and racing are on the back burner at least for now.

Brady's quad turned out good I guess, he sent one pic but it wasn't very clear. Check out his stem and bars when you see it something he and I came up with, pretty trick and of course light

:D

mx Eli
01-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Him and that light weight stuff hahaha I'm going to the dyno with him as soon as he gets the Walsh back together, I'll have to look that crazy thing over last time we talked it was getting closer to his 200 pounds goal:eek:

woodsracer144
01-04-2012, 11:47 AM
I almost got that quad.. did you fix that drop rail or just leave it?

89trx250r
01-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Didnt you see the pictures pinit made it look like it came from roll design themselves...And pinit said the motor wasnt in the frame straight so when he fixed it he also lvl'd the motor...

woodsracer144
01-04-2012, 01:01 PM
that photo didnt load when i first loaded look at them... my bad.

pinitatv
01-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I made the intake out of stainless steel to use a 250r filter but the tube that mates with the carb is 2.5" to adapt with the bored and tapered carb.

malibuj
01-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Nice work on the intake/exhaust systems!
I've got some exhaust work to do myself on my 650 hybrid. Any chance you could tell me where you get your mandrel bends from?:D

pinitatv
01-11-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks

I've purchased the u-bends from Burns Stainless and Speedway in the past you just have to shop around because the prices have really gone up in the last few years. If you know what you need just google it and see what comes up. Good luck!!

k10seibel
01-12-2012, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the PSI link, Jody.
This sure is look'n real good.

laeger400
01-16-2012, 08:21 AM
As always very nice work. The roll crf looks great.

Jerry

danhung11
01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Looks very nice Jody, as always! What's the rear upper shock adjustment for? I did not notice that before...

mx Eli
01-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
Looks very nice Jody, as always! What's the rear upper shock adjustment for? I did not notice that before...
adjust ride height without screwing up shock settings, also easier to get at then preload.

troybilt
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Looks awesome Jody. Anxious to see what you come up with for graphics. Going to be sick quad... already is... That's a sweet adjustment for the rear shock, never seen that before.

pinitatv
01-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks Andy! If you don't get that PSI I have one for you.:)

Andy, Jerry, Dan, Troy I've seen and admire the work all of you guys do and I appreciate your compliments on mine...

If you take a close look at that shock mount you'll see I moved it to the right to accommodate the larger intake and still leave enough room for the exhaust, its all a pretty tight fit. This worked out great because I had to move the rear carrier housing on the swing arm to the right as well to make the chain alignment right.

The adjuster is really to help make ride height changes without lengthening or shortening your rear shock. This helps to keep it in the "sweet spot" 3/8-3/4 zps gap. This quad is intended for flat track and ice racing so the rear tires will very in height pretty significantly. With the quick adjust its pretty simple to make a major adjustment without changing your shock or its characteristics. I've seen Walsh do something like this only he put the adjustment on the swing arm instead.

huntertaylor98
01-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by pinitatv
Thanks Andy! If you don't get that PSI I have one for you.:)

Andy, Jerry, Dan, Troy I've seen and admire the work all of you guys do and I appreciate your compliments on mine...

If you take a close look at that shock mount you'll see I moved it to the right to accommodate the larger intake and still leave enough room for the exhaust, its all a pretty tight fit. This worked out great because I had to move the rear carrier housing on the swing arm to the right as well to make the chain alignment right.

The adjuster is really to help make ride height changes without lengthening or shortening your rear shock. This helps to keep it in the "sweet spot" 3/8-3/4 zps gap. This quad is intended for flat track and ice racing so the rear tires will very in height pretty significantly. With the quick adjust its pretty simple to make a major adjustment without changing your shock or its characteristics. I've seen Walsh do something like this only he put the adjustment on the swing arm instead.

I'm wondering if you can do that for motocross

pinitatv
01-30-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm sure it could be done for mx too with a little more gusseting of course.

How often do you change your ride height?

mx Eli
01-30-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm sure it could be done for mx too with a little more gusseting of course.

How often do you change your ride height?

it depends mostly on the track, but not as much as you do in flat track, it'd be overkill in my opinion

yfzttracer76
01-30-2012, 06:06 PM
This thing is awesome. You do really good work I've seen some of your other builds and everything really is top notch. Good job man

dustin_j
02-01-2012, 10:56 AM
I've seen Walsh do something like this only he put the adjustment on the swing arm instead.

Do you happen to have a picture of Walsh's setup? The build is looking great!

pinitatv
02-01-2012, 06:31 PM
This is the best I can do for you, enter this item number in ebay 280793584799 look at the last picture of the swing arm.

dustin_j
02-01-2012, 07:06 PM
That's interesting, thank you for sharing. I'm excited to see more updates on this build :D

pinitatv
02-04-2012, 08:00 AM
So I think its one of the last pieces of the puzzle. I have a PWR rad I'm going to put walsh like shrouds on, here are the mounting pieces just need to finish up the shrouds and its ready to go!!

pinitatv
02-06-2012, 09:29 PM
I got the rest of my radiator parts today so I quickly put it together tonight. I have some tweaks to make on the next few but it turned out pretty good I think.

pinitatv
02-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Here's another

jerorski
02-08-2012, 06:36 PM
pmed ya jody

pinitatv
03-17-2012, 08:38 PM
I have it almost complete just a few finishing touches

pinitatv
03-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Here's another

pinitatv
03-17-2012, 08:42 PM
with front fullbores

jjohns5
03-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Looks great Jody, think I'm going with white fullbores on my build also, I will be in contact to grab those blue Hardkor hubs off of you soon...

jjohns5
05-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Pm'ed on the Hubs

gtilley45
05-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by huntertaylor98
I'm wondering if you can do that for motocross

My Walsh has the adjustable front shock mounts and my shock guy told me that you didn't want to rely solely on that to adjust ride height because you're only moving the shock up or down. So for example...if you lower the ride height this way, the shock will still have all the same settings and travel so you'll be bottoming out too much.

danhung11
05-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by gtilley45
My Walsh has the adjustable front shock mounts and my shock guy told me that you didn't want to rely solely on that to adjust ride height because you're only moving the shock up or down. So for example...if you lower the ride height this way, the shock will still have all the same settings and travel so you'll be bottoming out too much.

That's a good point Grant. Did your shock builder mention at what adjustment should the measurements be taken? I will be at this stage soon, and was curious to know before I ordered shocks. I was thinking it should be in the middle position, but didn't want to assume... Thanks for bringing this up.

gtilley45
05-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Mine had exactly 1" between the shock mount and the part of the frame it goes through if that makes any sense....which is pretty much right in the middle. We had the eye to eye length of the shocks, then put the quad on a stand to measure extended length, then took the shocks off and let the frame sit on 2x4's front and rear so the frame is 1.5 inches off the ground to get the compressed length and went from there. He said my front shocks were almost the same spec as one of the front ends (can't remember which) for a yamaha. And we actually had to do the same kind of measuring for the rear compressed length. At first Custom Axis said they couldn't build a shock with the PRS because the compressed length wasn't long enough. But we got some measurements and was able to make it work.

Let me know if you need pics. I've got a bunch and can get more if anybody needs them.

danhung11
05-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks Grant. I was referring to where your adjustments were set, haven't crossed that bridge with my current build.

BTW Jody, any final pics of this bad boy? :D

pinitatv
05-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Well here's the sort of final product, but still missing a few cosmetic items.....

gtilley

Your shock guy is right, there is a sweet spot I try to run on my PEP shocks its 3/8"-3/4" zps. You can lengthen and shorten a shock internally if need be, its easy to do at home but on race day its a lot of extra crap to bring along and play with. I like to make these types of "major" adjustments in the shop. On race day the adjustable towers are great for fine tuning without messing with your zps too much.

pinitatv
05-09-2012, 09:09 PM
And its for Sale on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190675993182&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_578wt_1182

gtilley45
05-10-2012, 05:49 AM
I agree. But then again, I have Fox front shocks so all I have to do to adjust ride height is adjust my air pressure.

hontrx265r
05-10-2012, 08:11 AM
Not going to get all into shock setup, but remember gtilley, which I think you know but even though you change your ride height. Your extended travel/droop will not change. Which is what jodys talking about I think. I'm in the process of doing this on my axis pro airs (shortening the droop by limiting it internally) this will basically help hold the bike to the ground, but does shorten overall travel.

gtilley45
05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by hontrx265r
Not going to get all into shock setup, but remember gtilley, which I think you know but even though you change your ride height. Your extended travel/droop will not change. Which is what jodys talking about I think. I'm in the process of doing this on my axis pro airs (shortening the droop by limiting it internally) this will basically help hold the bike to the ground, but does shorten overall travel.

Oh yeah, I know exactly what you're saying as long as we're using the same terms. By "droop" do you mean the difference in the length of the shock when I'm on the quad with ride height set and the extended length (quad off the ground) of the shock? Or something completely different?

Lasher
05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
On my Walsh with adjustable front shock towers, I was told to set the quad on 2x4s with the shocks removed and then adjust the towers to the compressed length of my shocks.

This would allow the shocks to bottom out before the frame hits the ground.

ryanowarrior
05-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Was u referring to removing the springs on the shocks ^^ that's the process I use

gtilley45
05-11-2012, 05:42 AM
Lasher-that's what I did too. That and removing the springs would both work wouldn't it?

dustin_j
05-11-2012, 08:24 AM
The problem with only removing springs is that the bottom out bumpers will not give you a true bottom out condition. Depending on the durometer, bottom out bumpers can compress more than you would imagine.

ryanowarrior
05-11-2012, 08:28 AM
True ^^ I always tried to allow 1 1/4- 1 3/4 for the bump stops and/or add spacers under them to adjust on those measurements

Lasher
05-11-2012, 08:36 AM
I was not talking about removing the spring, but the whole shock.

Here is my son's Walsh sitting on the 2x4s...

gtilley45
05-12-2012, 09:24 PM
That's what I did.

Hey Lasher, how hard was it to get Rath to make those nerf bars and was it crazy expensive?

dustin_j
05-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Lasher
I was not talking about removing the spring, but the whole shock.

Here is my son's Walsh sitting on the 2x4s...

I agree that this is the correct method, I was just pointing out issues/differences with removing springs only. What do you use for extended frame height? I have been using 12" for MX and XC.

Lasher
05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Nerfbars - I called Rath and placed an order. Not hard at all. I think they were in the $300+ range, with monster pegs. These are really nice and might sell the AC nerfs on my Walsh 250r and buy a set of the Rath.

Ride height, I think we are down around 7.5 inches to 8 inches range. Not sure, don't remember the exact numbers.

For the extended I did nothing. I used the 2x4s to set the shock tower height for compressed. I let the length Custom Axis built to their specs as the extended. Never checked to see how high the frame is when fully extended.

jjones60
06-23-2012, 06:15 PM
And its for Sale on EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190675993182&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_578wt_1182

I haven't even looked at ANY quad-related things since I drove home from Wisconsin last year. Now, I wish I hadn't, it makes me really miss that bike.

Thanks for not being too harsh about its condition when you got it. It was obviously nowhere near your standards.

Great job on the rebuild, I'm really impressed.