PDA

View Full Version : 440 questions?

xX-Clutch-Xx
12-27-2011, 12:31 PM
I finished a 416 build on my 400ex, stage two cam, geared 15/36, LOTS OF TORQUE. Wants to wheelie. Well, i picked up a pretty clean 440 for 1600$, rear brakes didnt work, whoever had it put a new brake line on and didnt know to bleed it. Left headlight didnt work, and the nerf bars were torn a lil. Needles to say afte 2 hours of tlc all problems are gone, but when your riding youd assume a 400, stock cam, no head work, would have torque out the ***. It doesnt. IT DOES however, have tons of power and its fast as ****. Maybe its geared higher? It has some mikuni carb and the slide isnt moves by a linkage arm, the throttle just opens the choke valve. And it doesnt have a accel pump. Any thoughts? It runs great, idle great when it warms up, decent throttle response. Just doesnt wheelie at ALL, it doesnt even have a hit of power, it just goes

01boneless
12-27-2011, 01:38 PM
most likely gearing. a cam will pull to..

CJM
12-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Depending on what kinda compression it has it wont make insane amounts of power. Thats why I like the smaller bored higher compression motors-they got torque and tons of it.

I compare it like this: I rode a few yfz's. They are ok but they are built for speed and lack torque, hop on a 450r and it has gobs more torque but less speed, hop on an ex and its a good mix, hop on a worked ex and you got a good combo.

JOHNDOE83
12-27-2011, 06:02 PM
I would check the jetting first if it has a 440 in it, like CJ said also if its not really high compression it wont be insanly noticeable.

It may be the gearing, go through a elimination process to see if its just you or somethings holding it back.

You said it is fast as ****, maybe you just havent noticed it yet?

xX-Clutch-Xx
12-27-2011, 07:17 PM
It's probably safe to say its compression. But the carb is crazy too since the suction has to move the slide. All the throttle cable does is turn what would be the choke valve. Mikuni has confused me yet again

atvrider13
12-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Id bet its got someting to do with that carb.

CJM
12-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Why they even put a mikuni on there? It makes no sense at all.

DragonGunner
12-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Count your front an rear sprocket teeth an see what you got on it....that can tell alot right there.

xX-Clutch-Xx
12-28-2011, 01:00 PM
And its not even a pumper. No accel pump, and the slide doesnt have any mechanism to pull it up. The suction has to push or pull it. Things weird but it works haha. Bet a 39 fcr would do better

2muchquad
01-03-2012, 07:26 PM
it probably has one of those bsm cv carbs like they use on the predator or z400 zuki.Those arent hp carbs imo.They should stay on the street bikes where they belong.What kind of gearing you have on it?check jetting,verify rubber diaphram under carb top doesnt have holes and seat properly.clutch slipping?:)