PDA

View Full Version : Banshee resurrection

motorhedtildead
12-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Looking for lots o info on banshee stuff. I've acquired a couple machines both needing tlc. My initial intent was buying the second for parts but am unsure which direction I should go on the two. The first is an 87' that runs but is missing the lights and needs a little to clean it up. The second is an 01' that of fully race built but supposedly the bottom end is locked up three hours after the top end was rebuilt. Not sure if I should cannibalize the 01' for the 87' or attempt a tear down on the 01' in the hopes of resurrecting it and find parts for the 87' elsewhere.

My main question would be is it possible to fit the motor from my 87' into my 01'? From what I've read 90% of the parts are interchangable but the guy I bought the 01' from claims the "transmission" is different?

Would appreciate any info, advice, constructive criticism or help of any kind thanx!

zje400ex
12-27-2011, 08:52 PM
I just got a banshee a few months ago so i'm new to the yamaha banshee world, but i believe the motor will bolt right up.

Check this link out...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Banshee_350

Good luck!

zje400ex
12-27-2011, 08:56 PM
You could put the 87' motor in the 01' so you can have a running bike.

Since you have the 01' motor out you can take it apart and figure out what's wrong...sounds like part of the piston blew up and locked up the crank, which could have been the result of a poor top end rebuild. Might just need a new top end and you're good to go.

Then switch out the motors and start fixing the issues with the 87'. Just a thought.

motorhedtildead
12-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Sounds like a cool idea would have a runner for the time being and be able to take my time with getting froze motor rippin again good call thanx!

zje400ex
12-27-2011, 09:16 PM
They are very easy quads to work on and extremely fun to ride. Post some pics if you can.

motorhedtildead
12-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Yea been my dream machine since they made the first one! Trying to figure out how to post pics, any idea?

zje400ex
12-28-2011, 07:12 AM
When you press the "submit reply" button, scroll down until you see "attach file" and then click "choose file" and you will be able to attach an image from your computer.

Or if you have photobucket, or some other picture sharing account, you can click "IMG" under the "vB Code" area right above where you type out a response for posting.

Both of these are ways to attach images. Good luck.

motorhedtildead
12-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanx but sez my file too large :cuss: :cuss:

kodie
12-28-2011, 01:27 PM
87-89 banshees have j-arms. Starting in 1990 they started putting a-arms on them. Also they have change the plug styles on the wiring system 3 times. So when you need a new electrical part you need to know what style plug it is.

Everything else on banshees are the same since they started making them. The only way the transmission is different in the 01 is if he has modded his stock transmission. Even if he did it will still work as long as it didn't get hurt when the motor locked up.

Your 87 motor will bolt right into the 01 frame no problem. But you will probably have to take the wiring from the 87 and put it on the 01, because I am pretty sure the plugs on the wiring on the 01 are different then the 87's.

motorhedtildead
12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Yea pretty sure guy was a total dumb ***, kept telling me "this is the one with the six speed" when I know they all are and was trying to tell me how "like in all power sports there is always the one machine that performs better than all others" like this one is special. Thanx for the advice on the wiring that'll be fun, I seen alot of stuff unplugged and some stuff cut so should be interesting.

zje400ex
12-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by motorhedtildead
Thanx but sez my file too large :cuss: :cuss:

Ok, now you have to go edit your picture size. Just right click and open it...then re save it as a web page image so it will fit on this site.

motorhedtildead
12-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Ok gotcha will try that out, been trying to pull it off with my droid