PDA

View Full Version : Buzzed driving is now drunk driving

slightlybent47
12-26-2011, 03:11 PM
According to a new commercial on TV buzzed driving is drunk driving.
Come on now give me a break!
Sounds like a campaign to get a new law for buzzed drivers.
What’s next, are they going to arrest me for thinking about drinking?

They already will arrest you for sleeping it off in your car.
Where will it all end?

What do you think?

ATV Chic
12-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I believe that add campaign has been out a few years so I wouldn't worry. At least, here it has.

Scro
12-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by ATV Chic
I believe that add campaign has been out a few years so I wouldn't worry. At least, here it has.

It's been here for a while as well. I think the premise behind the ad is even though you only feel buzzed, you could still be over the legal limit. I'm OK with any kind of ad discouraging drunk driving.

derekhonda
12-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Haha, yeah been around for a while. It's just a recommendation, if you are going to drink, don't drive. If you are going to drive, don't think you can just have 4 or 5 beers and be in the clear. They didn't actually change anything, just trying to get people used to not drinking and driving.

But, I will say one thing...Big brother is starting to really show his face. Starting January 3rd, 2012, CMV drivers are now banned from all cell phone use. While I admit, I don't want to a trucker texting while driving rigfht next to me at 70 mph, but do you know how hard it is going to be to dispatch truckers and then not be able to get a hold of them? And once again, guess what their slogan was? "Distracted driving is equal to Drunk driving."

Tommy Warren
12-26-2011, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by derekhonda
Haha, yeah been around for a while. It's just a recommendation, if you are going to drink, don't drive. If you are going to drive, don't think you can just have 4 or 5 beers and be in the clear. They didn't actually change anything, just trying to get people used to not drinking and driving.

But, I will say one thing...Big brother is starting to really show his face. Starting January 3rd, 2012, CMV drivers are now banned from all cell phone use. While I admit, I don't want to a trucker texting while driving rigfht next to me at 70 mph, but do you know how hard it is going to be to dispatch truckers and then not be able to get a hold of them? And once again, guess what their slogan was? "Distracted driving is equal to Drunk driving." [/QUOT

all they has left to ban kn canada is hands free talking.....which they are working on now :cool: :confused:

rollie
12-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I'm OK with any kind of ad discouraging drunk driving.

Kickstarts-suck
12-26-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm OK with any kind of ad discouraging drunk driving.

x3

TheLane
12-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Im a bad person to talk to about drunk driving. My ex fiancee was killed by drunk driver.

derekhonda
12-26-2011, 07:25 PM
all they has left to ban kn canada is hands free talking.....which they are working on now :cool: :confused:

Yeah they are starting that down here. Like I said, I dont want a school bus driver checking their fantasy football while they are driving kids around, that is a no brainer. We run semi's, and we have the nextell 2 way radio phones with internet and texting blocked. So basically, all they are good for are for calling and for walkie talkying. Its very convenient when a guy is 5 miles down the road and the customer calls and said they forgot to give them the paper work, you just beep him, tell him to turn around and go back to the last pick up. Now we can't do that.....or we can and face a $2700 fine.

I have heard it is in the works to apply it to regular drivers, and also an expansion into anything that is not hands free will be coming. Got a GPS that you need to program? Ticket. Got a radio with knobs that are not on the stering wheel and a cop see's you changing stations, ticket. Playing with an Ipod choosing your next song, ticket. Phone calls, ticket. Texting, ticket.

And if I was a betting man, I'd put money on within 10 years there will be no smoking, eating, makeup, anything in the car. Anything that could be considered a distraction, will be ticketable.

Anyways, sorry to rant, but yeah drinking and driving is a no-no for me as well

madskrillz2
12-26-2011, 07:28 PM
It's been here for a while as well. I think the premise behind the ad is even though you only feel buzzed, you could still be over the legal limit. I'm OK with any kind of ad discouraging drunk driving.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure it's just saying even when you feel fine, you're still most likely over the limit.

Sorry this is off topic, but are you still living around Sheffield?

buck440
12-26-2011, 07:31 PM
it's not drunk driving but being buzzed might make you want to go mudding or do burnouts and stuff. it also leads you to taco bell in most cases or at very least a big bag of chips from a gas station.

i got pulled over about a year ago after sobering up from a tittie bar all nighter and was on my way home and right next to my driveway was a cop and he got me before i pulled in. he was in his car and i got out. he then told me stay still and i for some reason replied, "it's not like i got a gun in there". so i proceeded to my truck to turn it off and then the next thing i remembered was the cold snowy ground i was on.

turns out mr. police dude tasered my *** and quite literally might i add, i had both prongs in my ***. i also pissed myself from the pulsating shock. btw i later blew a .07which=legaly sober:)

morale of the story is buzzed driving can still cause you trouble.

Scro
12-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Exactly. I'm pretty sure it's just saying even when you feel fine, you're still most likely over the limit.

Sorry this is off topic, but are you still living around Sheffield?

Nope, got married and moved down to Double Springs.

slightlybent47
12-26-2011, 07:49 PM
So police can use lap tops in there car while there driving but I can’t talk on the phone? That makes a lot of since!
Truck drivers are considered to be professionals, at least that’s what I’ve been told when I’ve been pulled over. And a judge told me that in court and I couldn’t take defensive driving because I was considered a professional. Truck drivers have been talking on CB’s for ever, so what’s the deference between that and talking on a phone?
Texting is deferent and no one should be doing that while driving.

My concern is in running such a campaign on buzz driving, I fear it will open the door to not being able to have ANY alcohol in your system when you drive.
What’s next you have to blow a 0.00 to be legal?
You watch, just give it time and I’ll bet it gets proposed.

madskrillz2
12-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Nope, got married and moved down to Double Springs.

Ah ok. Well did you ever go ride out at Hawk Pride? They're having a New Year's ride if the rain holds off.

CJM
12-26-2011, 08:03 PM
I use a nextel that tells me all the calls for service I need to do. There is NO way I could stop everytime it pages me (at least once every 5-10 mins) and still do my job. As an emergency service provide (yep they consider us that) the cops are supposed to ignore us unless we really are driving erratically or something. I talk on my regular phone and my two way radio alot as well. I never had an issue.

The main problem is people get engrossed in the conversation and DO NOT pay attention to the road as good. If anything I believe people who professionally drive for a living are 100x better at multi-tasking than your normal joe schmo.

As for the drinking and driving: Its all about revenue from the tickets and fines you get from drunk driving. Yea they want to keep the roads safe and that is part of it, but they make ALOT of money for ticketing drunks.

Scro
12-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Ah ok. Well did you ever go ride out at Hawk Pride? They're having a New Year's ride if the rain holds off.

No, I haven't rode in over 2 years. I got married, remember? LOL

madskrillz2
12-26-2011, 08:41 PM
No, I haven't rode in over 2 years. I got married, remember? LOL

Haha ahhhh that's right.

derekhonda
12-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
So police can use lap tops in there car while there driving but I can’t talk on the phone? That makes a lot of since!
Truck drivers are considered to be professionals, at least that’s what I’ve been told when I’ve been pulled over. And a judge told me that in court and I couldn’t take defensive driving because I was considered a professional. Truck drivers have been talking on CB’s for ever, so what’s the deference between that and talking on a phone?
Texting is deferent and no one should be doing that while driving.

CB's as of now are not on the list, neither is any other form or short wave radio. (which doesn't make any sense)

I use a nextel that tells me all the calls for service I need to do. There is NO way I could stop everytime it pages me (at least once every 5-10 mins) and still do my job. As an emergency service provide (yep they consider us that) the cops are supposed to ignore us unless we really are driving erratically or something. I talk on my regular phone and my two way radio alot as well. I never had an issue.

Yep, our guys are the same way, we don't run cross country, we will send a guy up to chicago (about a 3 hour drive) and he will sometimes just have a pickup and sometimes we will have a couple emergencies and have to send him to another or a couple other places. I do know they play on them, call their wife and plan out dinner etc etc, but they are a primary work phone. The thing that really chaps my *** is it has been statistically proven that talking on a cell phone don't cause accidents. It is the texting/dialing/etc that causes them. That is when you are distracted. I just don't know how a cb qualifies and a nextel 2 way doesn't, but that is where they drew the line. It's also just a money grab, police are broke and a couple $2700 tickets will sure help them out, all off the back of a $40,000 a year truck driver.

Quad18star
12-26-2011, 09:43 PM
If you're buzzed, then you are obviously on your way to being over the legal limit .... and for many the onset of alcohol takes a bit of time so when they leave buzzed they're usually drunk 20 minutes later.

Simple solution .... if you're going to drink, park the car, hang up the keys and find a ride home. I don't need you plowing into my family.

CJM
12-26-2011, 09:45 PM
I really want to know how your going to be able to even see a truck driver on the phone. I mean they are so high up and the cab enclosed you can hardly see in there.

slightlybent47
12-27-2011, 01:04 AM
I don’t condone drinking and driving at all but there are many who can and do have a single drink with dinner and are not over the limit and won’t be over the limit with only consuming just the one drink but can have a slight buzz that only last a very short time.

The commercial is calming it is as bad as being over the limit. Witch to me sounds like the beginning of a campaign to create a zero tolerance against alcohol.

With hands free how can anyone even tell you’re on the phone?

250ex_dan
12-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
x3
X4

protraxrptr17
12-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Buzzed driving = drunk driving

1st DWI should be a lost license for a year.
2nd DWI should be lost license for life.
If you kill somebody while driving drunk you should be charged with murder.

Just the way I feel about it. I have no sympathy for a drunk driver. Why should we? They have no regard for others.

protraxrptr17
12-28-2011, 05:10 PM
BTW, if some SOB runs over my wife and kids while texting, checking facebook, reading the paper or some other stupid **** with a phone, I'm probably going to hunt them down and execute em.

slightlybent47
12-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
Buzzed driving = drunk driving

1st DWI should be a lost license for a year.
2nd DWI should be lost license for life.
If you kill somebody while driving drunk you should be charged with murder.

Just the way I feel about it. I have no sympathy for a drunk driver. Why should we? They have no regard for others.

Have you ever had A beer with you dinner or A glass of wine at lunch? Did you drive home afterwards?
Or taken cold medication so you could go to work?
I would bet you have. If so then you would be guilty of buzz driving.
That would make you a hypocrite.
The law is 0.08 and over is considered to be impaired.
What law is there that would allow you to be arrested if you are under 0.08?
Who determines if one beer gives me a buzz?

I’m not condoning drinking and driving but the law seas I’m not impaired until I reach 0.08.

Now I don’t drink any more and haven’t for years. But I want to be able to have a beer with dinner if I want and still drive home.

protraxrptr17
12-29-2011, 05:46 PM
1st question = NO
2nd question = I would have to take a hell of a lot of cold medicine to get a buzz. If I am that sick, I aint workin.
That would make me not a hypocrite
The law is the law.

Like I said, if you run over my wife and kids and are found to have alcohol in your bloodsteam I'm probably going to do something bad to you. That is one of the worst things I can think of happening. Hurting an innocent person just because you wont find a designated driver or simply stay home and drink.

I cannot understand what is so hard about not drinking and driving. So many people INSIST on doing it.

Exrider434
12-29-2011, 06:00 PM
1st question = NO
2nd question = I would have to take a hell of a lot of cold medicine to get a buzz. If I am that sick, I aint workin.
The law is the law.

Like I said, if you run over my wife and kids and are found to have alcohol in your bloodsteam I'm probably going to do something bad to you. That is one of the worst things I can think of happening. Hurting an innocent person just because you wont find a designated driver or simply stay home and drink.

I cannot understand what is so hard about not drinking and driving. So many people INSIST on doing it.

That's a pretty ignorant statement. Just because I have alcohol in my system doesn't mean that I am drunk or buzzed. If I go drink one beer at the bar then drive home shortly after with "alcohol in my system" it surely won't be the cause of an accident.

slightlybent47
12-29-2011, 07:33 PM
1st question = NO
The law is the law.

You didn’t answer one of my questions. Who determines if you are buzzed? Who determines if that buzz is an impairment? Just because you don’t feel cold medicine has an effect on you (it does) then why do they all have warnings on the label not to drive until you know how it will affect you?
Even if I had alcohol in my system and was involved in a wreck doesn’t automatically mean I was the cause of it regardless if I was over the limit or not.

mxpimp2000
12-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Drunk/buzzed/1 drink/2drinks/1 shot/1 sip

STAY OUT OF THE FREAKING AUTOMOBILE OR GET WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU GET IT. Im 24 dont drink and dont care about it. Beer with food is about nasty. If you drink and you chose to drive then deal with the punishment no matter what you drank or howmany