PDA

View Full Version : Gear question with pics. Need advice.

Gotme1
12-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Whats up forum. I'm new to the boards and have a question. I have my 400ex tore down because it was jumping out of 3rd gear under load. I'm down to the main shaft and countershaft. The pictures below show c3 & c4 on main shaft. ( as labeled in manual) sure it is 3rd and 4th gear. The dogs on each gear show abnormal wear as if they are not getting full contact with the gear itself, same for the gears too. And the fork has wear as if it is bent. That is my guess. Just wanted to get some other advice before I ordered the new shift fork. Do I need to replace gears and fork or does the damage look minimal to where I can continue to use the gears. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv160/anteekyle/1e976aa0.jpg
http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv160/anteekyle/84ccd439.jpg

DnB_racing
12-26-2011, 04:37 PM
the pics arnt real good but from what I can see ..

its time to replace some gears as well as the fork, also check all shafts, new thrust washers...

do it once, if any doubt replace while its open... no sense putting it back together and questioning the quality of the old gears

welcome to the forum, you obviously have a manual. (your most important tool in the box)it will have all the shaft and gear specs,

my advice is to change anything in question while apart, bearings seals. friction disks, starter clutch... basically give it a real good once over, this way you will have many hours of trouble free riding ahead:D

Gotme1
12-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks man. I ima go ahead and replace the gears as well. May be back for more questions. Thank you sir.

Gotme1
12-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Thanks man. I ima go ahead and replace the gears as well. May be back for more questions. Thank you sir.

Gotme1
12-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Another question. Ok so I called the local motor sports shop. Told him my problem and explained the damage. He recommended I replace all gears that mesh together on main and counter shaft. From the looks of the actual gears, they all look in good working order except 3rd, 4th and the right shift fork, which I planned to replace. What do you guys think? As long as other gears are inspect, measured, and below service limits, should I just replace the damaged ones only. Or replace all as he said. I know they make commission on all parts ordered so I am thinking that's what he is trying to do. Thank you.

DnB_racing
12-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Gotme1
Another question. Ok so I called the local motor sports shop. Told him my problem and explained the damage. He recommended I replace all gears that mesh together on main and counter shaft. From the looks of the actual gears, they all look in good working order except 3rd, 4th and the right shift fork, which I planned to replace. What do you guys think? As long as other gears are inspect, measured, and below service limits, should I just replace the damaged ones only. Or replace all as he said. I know they make commission on all parts ordered so I am thinking that's what he is trying to do. Thank you. if your other gears are in perfect condition, then dont worry about replacing them,,, but any sign of wear or even close to being out of spec,, then do what needs to be done...

just make sure you get everything while your there, no need to be half fixed, do it once do it right

Gotme1
12-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Coo man. Thanks

Zeb400EX
12-28-2011, 01:50 PM
I went through the same thing this spring with mine. I replaced all the gears on the main shaft except the middle gear that has the c-clip holding it. It cost me bout $400 but I've had zero trouble since. It also seem to shift a lot smoother. Be sure and check all your bearings.