View Full Version : Need help w/propeg installation!

12-07-2001, 05:50 PM
I have been reading this forum for quite a while and I have gotten some great information, but I cant seem to figure out how to install my ac propeg nerfs I got. I think I have the peg brackets right now (the one w/the spacer plate goes on the rear brake side with the peg above the frame mount). I want to try to use my stock foot guards and I have heard that you can even without modding them but I don't see how.

If you guys could post some close-up pics of how you have them mounted that would be great.

Almost forgot it's on a 400ex

Thanks.

400MXer
12-07-2001, 11:07 PM
Didn't your Pro Pegs come with heel gaurds. My Pro Pegs came with aluminun ones. i didn't put them on though. What do you need help doing?

12-08-2001, 11:36 AM
I just wasn't sure I had the nerfs mounted right before because I had read that they moved the peg back and down 1 inch, which they dont do. I don't like footgaurds that came with them, but I can't see how to mount the stock ones. I've read on this board that people have kept there stock ones on, so I was hoping maybe they could tell me how.

400MXer
12-08-2001, 12:59 PM
Your right, it doesn't move them down any, those people have their bracket on upside down. And i've never seen anyone use their stock guards.

knighttime
12-08-2001, 01:02 PM
The aluminum AC heelguards look cooler than the stock plastic ones, and they also give structural support to the propegs.

Jekyl_22
12-08-2001, 09:02 PM
I just got some AC Propeg Nerfbars this week and I can easily notice that they are lower than the stock pegs. The rear brake and shift lever are much higher compared to the peg than they were before. (Yes, I have the bracket thing on right...)

My nerf bars didn't come with heel guards, but my dad and I plan on making some homade heel guards out of diamond plate...
:macho

12-08-2001, 10:04 PM
jekyl, I think you may actually have the bracket upside down. The peg should actually be above the peg mounting bolts (the 2 big allen ones) If you have it upside down it will lower your peg and move it forwards, but that is not how they were intended to be mounted. Just becareful crossing large logs and such because the nerfs/ pegs will hang below the frame and you could break them.

thanks for the replies also.

Dave400ex
12-09-2001, 12:52 PM
I`ve never seen the stock guards used with the pro-pegs. You can use the guards with the standard nerfs though.

Juggalo
12-12-2001, 08:44 PM
hey when i mount them "upside down" then they seem really weird..the peg tips slightly backwards and is very low but the motor mount lines up then. when i have them the right way then the peg height and slant are corrected but then the motor mount doesn't line up! something is screwey here...can you help me out? i need these things on there by saturday. and yes i do have them on the right sides (spacer is on the brake side).

12-12-2001, 09:01 PM
when i mounted mine the front mounts didnt line up right either i had to bend them out to get ever thing to line up right the heel guards work great and i think they look better on than off i dont beleive you are able to mount the stock foot guards with the pro pegs though

400MXer
12-12-2001, 10:49 PM
Mine didn't line up either. I just pulled on them till they lined up then my buddy started the bolt. My thoughts are, they must make them that way from the factory so they are tight or something, because everyone i've seen put them on had the same problem.

12-12-2001, 11:25 PM
mine have loosened up on the foot brackets and are rattling i think i'll have to take them off and bend them tighter to put some tension on them again

knighttime
12-13-2001, 07:35 AM
When I was installing mine, they were also loose. I wrapped some duct tape on the peg, and pounded the nerf on the peg with a big rubber mallet. Also the heal guard help keep the bars on the peg.

Dave400ex
12-13-2001, 02:02 PM
I think your right. My brother got them for his 250r and the motor mounts weren`t lined up. He called AC and they said they were like that so they would be tight after they were on. With a little bit of bending they fit fine.

SGA
12-13-2001, 09:10 PM
After mine were put on i drilled a couple small holes down through the top of each footrest & peg. then screwed in some sheetmetal screws. strong for sure

Rick400ex
09-22-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
When I was installing mine, they were also loose. I wrapped some duct tape on the peg, and pounded the nerf on the peg with a big rubber mallet. Also the heal guard help keep the bars on the peg.

This "peg" you are talking about.......Is it on my 03 400ex now or should I have received that with my propegs ?

The black ones in this pic correct ?
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=51822

SGA
09-22-2003, 11:42 PM
You should have gotten a couple of round pegs with your nerf bars. Pull off your stock foot pegs, along with the plastic heel guards and put the ones on that came with the kit.

Rick400ex
09-22-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by SGA
You should have gotten a couple of round pegs with your nerf bars. Pull off your stock foot pegs, along with the plastic heel guards and put the ones on that came with the kit.

No pegs. I bought these from a dude in the for sale section.
I guess I can use that pic above and put it in the wanted section for the pegs.

Thanks for the info.

SGA
09-23-2003, 12:18 AM
I snapped a peg off when a quad T-boned me, called AC. They sent me both pegs, all bolts and spacers for a complete installation ( the same pack that comes with new nerf bars) for $40 + $10 shipping

Rick400ex
09-23-2003, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by SGA
I snapped a peg off when a quad T-boned me, called AC. They sent me both pegs, all bolts and spacers for a complete installation ( the same pack that comes with new nerf bars) for $40 + $10 shipping

You have their website url or telephone # ?