PDA

View Full Version : Help with swinger to frame fitment

HAYESTRX250R
12-26-2011, 06:37 AM
LSR baja frame mating to what I believe to be a LSR or Laegers swing arm. With a generic tape and eye I'm getting 9 1/4 inches of space for the swing arm to fit between the frame at the pivot bolt. With the Bearings and dust caps installed the swinger measures 9 5/8. Even without the dust caps it won't fit.

The ends of the swing arm do have a step down flange which i did look at closely and that is how it is made (unless it was not cut down to spec at and has never been used before).

Anyone have some measurements to share with bearings installed and without would be great, or any suggestions thanks in advance.

Here is a pic in the link for reference.

http://www.trx250r.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3108&d=1324610879&thumb=1

DoonRider
12-26-2011, 10:37 AM
The 9 1/4" measurement is the correct one. Swingarm sounds like it is wrong. Does the pivot collar/tube stick out of the pivot collar bushings on each side? They should, but I bet they don't with the measurements you give. The stepdown flange material looks suspect. Is that piece welded there or can it be pushed out?

bigmatt61
12-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Steve,

Did they leave the old bushings for the bearing sleeves in there and just pc over them?

Matt

HAYESTRX250R
12-26-2011, 11:23 AM
The stepped down area that is powder coated is not an old collar that was left in. The swing arm is made that way, I verified by looking inside.

The pivot tubes on each side (that ride on the bearings and the bolt goes through), are wider than the tubes on the ends of the swinger. They actually the same width of the brass collars at the flange that controls the depth of the collar.

Come to think of it, I have a junky stock 87 swinger with some aftermarket poly style bushings to draw some comparisons from if I can find them.

DoonRider
12-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by HAYESTRX250R
The pivot tubes on each side (that ride on the bearings and the bolt goes through), are wider than the tubes on the ends of the swinger.

Wonder if those tubes (on the end of the swingarm) were welded on too far apart then? Should be 4 3/4ish between them.

With that step down flange having the right size ID for the collar, isn't the ID oversize on the other side (inside) that doesn't have that piece?

trx250racer
12-26-2011, 06:44 PM
are you sure that swingarm is not off of a 450r?? i just saw an aftermarket swingarm that had that step on the pivot mounts. if you have access to 450r hardware i would try it on the outside of the pivot tubes. see if it makes it narrow enough to fit in the frame.

HAYESTRX250R
12-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Well thanks for the replies so far. I compared the stock 87 swinger and measured the outside edges of the swing arms bare to be 8 7/8 to 8 6.5/16 on the stocker and 8 15/16 on this (99% sure LSR) aftermarket one. The width between the ends is 4 11/16 on the stocker and the LSR is 4 1/4.

I also found those poly aftermarket bushings from the stocker and compared the width they would hang out from the outer edge (not counting for dust caps on either set) and they are about 1/32 narrower on each side.

When i bought this LSR swing arm it came complete/assembled with a LSR axle, LSR hubs, LSR sprocket and rotor hub, Streamline rotor, and like new bearing carrier, brake caliper, and 250R linkage. It was advertised as parting out a TRX250R build. If it (swinger) was actually for or mounted on a 450R then I guess i should start comparing the front to to the shock linkage tabs.

Glad I decided pre assemble this roller before having PC work done on the frame.

Thanks for the tip on comparing some 450R hardware I will make some calls to pivot works tomorrow.

HAYESTRX250R
01-02-2012, 01:40 PM
**after doing more comparisons to the stock 87 swing arm it is obvious that this swinger is not 250R. The measurements again are as follows:

total outside at pivot bolt area (bare)
87 stock = approx. 8 1/2 inches
LSR = approx. 8 15/16 inches

inside between legs (bare)
87 stock = approx. 4 7/10 or 119.5mm
LSR = approx. 4 2.75/10 or 108.5 mm

center of shock linkage to center of pivot bolt leg
87 stock = approx. 12 5/8 inches
LSR = approx. 13 1/2 inches

Area between the shock linkage pivot towers
87 stock = approx. 34mm
LSR = approx. 32mm

I guess my next step should be digging out my 250R and pulling the hubs off my LSR axle to see if any of this crap is 250R before going outside and sticking my head in the snow.

Higgy87TRX425
01-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Don't feel too bad I bought a frame when I was new to the 250r world that was suppose to be a Laeger Naroow front w/CR500 rear. Only to find out 6 months later that not only was it not a Laeger frame, it wasn't a narrow frontend or Cr500 rear, plus it needed alot of work!!! I'd already boughten a Laeger Pro-trax frontend for the bike, a Laeger swingarm and various other Laeger parts. They're now all going on my LRD bike. You gotta watch out for those scammers, they're out there for sure. Now I do more homework and always ask for lots of photos first and alot of times have friends overlook the photos just to be sure. If your're not sure post up some photos on here and alot of ther guys will chime in and help ya. I know I learned my lesson. I believe mine was about a $800 education so it could be worse! lol!
Thanks Higgy

HAYESTRX250R
01-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the sympathies Higgy, I verified with the 400ex guys on here that it is a 400ex swing arm and I think the 19.5 center to center is the hot set up for them at +1.25. I'm listing it around here on CL and shouldn't have trouble finding a 400ex junky to buy it for $320 shipped. It really isn't holding me up so lesson learned again. If anything I am glad because I would rather use a 88-89 style swinger anyway, which I believe is no problem with the LSR baja frame?

The one thing that blows my mind is thinking of the days when guys built these things at retail prices top to bottom, before there were many used aftermarket parts to be had. Today we can build a $20k quad for $4500 to $8500 depending. I try to stay positive and have fun. Sad thing is I am not sure my soon to be 16yr old half brother gets it.

deathman53
01-04-2012, 08:05 AM
you think the quads that racers use are any different than when the race quads were built up new? Those guys for the most part don't buy anything used. What its raced today or built today eventually will get sold or parted out for 10-20 cents on the dollar invested. My atv's I couldn't possible sell them for even 1/4 of what I put into them. Pretty similar story on my dirtbikes. This is just the cost to build them up how I wanted them, NOT maintance costs.

HAYESTRX250R
01-04-2012, 08:54 AM
I just saying I certainly couldn't afford it. What are you saying?

Higgy87TRX425
01-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I'm sure that all the guys on here do it for the love of it!! Unless you're a Flea Bayer thats buying and parting these beauties, ur not making money! You're just spending it, lol! I can't think of a much better way to spend it though!! If you get really lucky and find Awesome deals you can put a bike together for $6000 to 10,000. After building 3 I think that the best way now is to buy one that has most of the aftermarket parts on it that you want and then make it your own. I have easily over $15,000 into my Roll Lobo, but I pretty much went all out on that one. Since then I've been waiting for deals and buying stuff on the cheap when it comes along. Anyway good luck on the sale! It shouldn't be a problem!
Thanks Higgy!

HAYESTRX250R
01-05-2012, 04:47 AM
I completely agree with you Higgy. This one has been fun regardless of a few set backs, what gets you is all those $50 per part purchases when you start with basically nothing. It is better mostly rehab one.

414tinner
01-13-2012, 06:28 PM
I may have the swing arm set up you are looking for if you are interested. I have the LSR no-link 88-89 swing arm and a custom axis shock and a brand new axle bearing carrier if you are interested.

It has skid plate mounts and chainslider mounts as well.

The shock is 17" eye to eye and 5" stroke.

HAYESTRX250R
01-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Yeah I'd be very interested in those.

Higgy87TRX425
01-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Well, there ya go. Ask and "ye shall recieve"! An option anyway. I know alot of guys run Lonestar swingarms. Some with the no-link, set-ups and some with the linkage set ups. They've had good results and some without such good results. I guess it just depends? I just so happen to have a Linkage style Lonestar swingarm set up that has a ton of cracks. I believe that it was raced by a rider that was much too heavy and didn't have the best suspension set-ups either?? Your call buddy!! I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other! I wouldn't pass up the combo for the right price myself. Anyway just my 2 cents worth!
Thanks Higgy

HAYESTRX250R
01-14-2012, 06:39 AM
Well good news is I have a buyer for the swing arm. It will be gone here in a couple hours. I have been running a stock 88-89 swing arm with an Ohlins shock for years and have had zero problems with the stock linkage set up regardless of riding trails, tracks ect... but I am no A class rider. I am tempted to just put another stocker on this one, my stock swing arm has been put to the test over the years with zero cracking. I don't care much for the need to run a T.M. designs "banshee style" chain guide, and how it interferes with a standard skid plate.