PDA

View Full Version : Decision on Shocks!!

trailrider894
12-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Well guys, scraped up a little extra cash... wondering what you guys think. I currently have just re-valved 450r shocks. Here is what i'm thinking...

1. Get them re-re-valved and sprung to triple rates.

2. Get YFZ Shocks

3. Find some used aftermarkets...

4. or go 426 and 11:1 with a stage 2 cam???!?!?! + some triple rate springs.

or...

Get my car stereo re-done and get a cold air intake, and new pulley for the S/C on my car.

caseywoods5
12-25-2011, 07:37 PM
i say do the 426 with the 11:1 piston and stage 2 hotcams along with the triple rates... that would be awesome!

wolfe 21
12-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Depends on the car, I'd be tempted to spend the money there. Just not on the stereo. Army must pay better these days than when dad was in if you're running a supercharger on your daily driver.

James.

ish416
12-25-2011, 09:16 PM
That totally depends on the car you have.

If it's wrong-wheel drive don't waste your time or your money.

I would say option 4 or 5 would be the best.

CJM
12-25-2011, 09:40 PM
I recall he has a worked chevy monza.

Personally since your gonna be away sooner or later for a good while due to your occupation I say you do either 4 or 5. I lean towards 5 only b/c you will probably get more use out of it in the longrun-but 4 is equally worth it. I would also do a 406 or 416 to save your bore if you do #4.

trailrider894
12-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I recall he has a worked chevy monza.

Personally since your gonna be away sooner or later for a good while due to your occupation I say you do either 4 or 5. I lean towards 5 only b/c you will probably get more use out of it in the longrun-but 4 is equally worth it. I would also do a 406 or 416 to save your bore if you do #4.

I'm really falling towards #4 at this point... and yes CJM your right on the monza!!! I recently picked up a new hood and Whipple S/C for it... although my daily driver is S/C also... ha ha The Army pays okay, but if your a guy like me, there is really no bills to pay, i own everything and live at a buddies house for the mean time.

CJM
12-25-2011, 09:52 PM
^ Sounds like a plan. Save your bore and do the 406 or 416 as I suggested, the 426 makes a wee bit more power but if you need to redo it thats 440 time or new sleeve..

trailrider894
12-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by CJM
^ Sounds like a plan. Save your bore and do the 406 or 416 as I suggested, the 426 makes a wee bit more power but if you need to redo it thats 440 time or new sleeve..

Sounds good!! So, 416 11:1 with Wheelie +3 key, and a stage 2 cam, with the triple rate front springs??? how about some rear shock work??? maybe just a GT Thunder MX link???

dustin_j
12-26-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
Sounds good!! So, 416 11:1 with Wheelie +3 key, and a stage 2 cam, with the triple rate front springs??? how about some rear shock work??? maybe just a GT Thunder MX link???

What do you weigh? The GTT MX link works great, but your shock could use some work to compliment the link.

Without knowing what Ishock changed for valving, it'll probably be decent if you just switch springs, but it always works best if the person choosing springs also chooses valving.

I would not recommend choice 2, and choice 3 probably wouldn't be setup as well as you'd end up with from choice 1.

CJM
12-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Id leave the key out, trust me without one you will have plenty of balls. The key is nice, but that 100 octane is not easy to find sometimes and it surely isnt cheap.

As for shock work, I like the XC link better than the mx link only b/c its a bit more versatile-but if you plan on doing mx only the XC link wont be as good.

MtnEX
12-26-2011, 08:59 PM
More power is pointless without more suspension unless you are only going in a straight line on a flat surface...

I say spend new dollars on better handling and then add the power to push that to it's limits next... cause you can't go any faster really until you have the suspension to handle it. You could probably go faster with the power you have, you just won't realize it until the suspension is on.

So I vote in that direction. Send your stuff off to Derisi or Jet and have it fully customized for your weight and application.... or spend the big beans on full aftermarket stuff... and not the mass produced stuff either... aftermarket stuff from a company that builds your stuff to order after consulting with you and gathering information.

That is the key and where it is at if you can afford it.

trailrider894
12-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
More power is pointless without more suspension unless you are only going in a straight line on a flat surface...

I say spend new dollars on better handling and then add the power to push that to it's limits next... cause you can't go any faster really until you have the suspension to handle it. You could probably go faster with the power you have, you just won't realize it until the suspension is on.

So I vote in that direction. Send your stuff off to Derisi or Jet and have it fully customized for your weight and application.... or spend the big beans on full aftermarket stuff... and not the mass produced stuff either... aftermarket stuff from a company that builds your stuff to order after consulting with you and gathering information.

That is the key and where it is at if you can afford it.

Well believe, me I can ride too the full potential of the motor... I raced and entire season of MX, scored pretty good, top 5 in C Class and under 21 class.

I just have limited cash, and am looking to get the best of both worlds. The motor has never been completely re-built... so it's running on nearly 10 years of MX and Dunes without ever being re-built... I just never had the money!! But i'm planning a trip cross country soon, and am gonna stop by little sahara and a few MX tracks along the way. So, i'd like to get some suspension stuff done, and a little engine.

finsteratv
12-26-2011, 10:36 PM
I'd do a nice little build then suspension too, you have no idea how much more fun big power is in the dunes! it should give you a nice bump in MX too.

trailrider894
12-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by finsteratv
I'd do a nice little build then suspension too, you have no idea how much more fun big power is in the dunes! it should give you a nice bump in MX too.

x2!! So whats a good paddle setup, and good gearing for the dunes???

finsteratv
12-27-2011, 10:10 AM
x2!! So whats a good paddle setup, and good gearing for the dunes??? PM me it gets deep haha depends on what kind of dune riding and sand conditions even if you're real serious.

Thumpin440ex
12-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Do the engine work.. If they are already revalved or even stock, they are pretty decent.. Time for more powa IMO

John

trailrider894
12-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Do the engine work.. If they are already revalved or even stock, they are pretty decent.. Time for more powa IMO

John

Thats my plan!! About how much is the average price to get a bore done for the 416??

CJM
12-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Thats my plan!! About how much is the average price to get a bore done for the 416??
75 bucks.