PDA

View Full Version : 2stroke demise

jettquad17
12-25-2011, 05:54 PM
With apex selling quads in a box and DRR and cobra doing rolling chassis with motors in a box, when will it be too difficult to acquire or fix those bikes. are 4strokes going to be the next thing not so far in the future? The twin spark takagawa and Robb's racing trx 125s are getting faster with a heck of a lot less work. My great friends trai " i can make it fit"sorrow and Johnny "the mastermind" Cushman swear the 2 strokes will ALWAYS smoke the 4's. When do we give up speed for down time and time to enjoy the actual racing without blowing CVT belts and needing to re jet because of the altitude change from the pits to the start line? Input anyone?

chunky0071
12-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Well I look at it this way having had both we have spent less money and time on our 2 stroke. In way less time I can take our 2 stroke rebuild and replace. 4 strokes on the other hand are way more costly to start with. A well tune 2 stroke requires less maintance than a well tuned 4 stroke any day. There is way more to do when you get home and the jetting part never goes away. This is comaring apples to apples Cvt four stroke vs ctv 2 stroke same when you take out the Cvt part. Ether way you have work to do. It makes it all alot easyier when you have your bike well tuned! Once it is right keeping it that way is the easy then it comes down to the rider. I think that is a big part in the MINI world we forget about the rider. You get in to the bigger bikes the power becomes less of a big deal and the rider becomes more of the focus. It's not always the fastest bike that WINS!

eightysix86
12-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Your right, the fastest bike doesnt always wins!! the bike that stays together does!! We run 17 races NO DNFS!! the only thing i done all year was change the oil after each race and adjusted carb. once at calhoun, and a plug every now and then not that it needed it!! I have had both, I thing its a prefence! I like to go to the track and have a good time and not work no more than needed! I found that with a 4 stoke!! thats my two cents

chunky0071
12-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Your right Rob we ran 28 races this year and one DNF and that was a chain brake not the motor! Had an issue with trash in the carb once. The only difference in maintance is I have to check the CVT over. Spent very little this year on our bike other than the parts that I wanted to put on!

edwardsp&b
12-26-2011, 04:42 PM
You can argue this topic all day long. There is less maintenance on a 4 stroke than a two. The cvt makes it a whole different ballgame, and I hate to tell you that it doesn't get any better until you get out of cvts. Bottom line, your not going to get a 4 stroke to beat a two stroke but every once in a while. This is why they changed the rules on 90 production this year.

I will tell you this Kelly....start transitioning to a mod with a dirtbike motor. It will be easier on you and him in the longing.

Chuck we ran a very similar setup as you a couple years ago. It gets worse with maintenance once you start building the motor. I know you don't need to because of woods racing, but a built national cvt motor is a ton more maintenance. Ask Cushman and Alhm.
bryan

jettquad17
12-26-2011, 10:01 PM
And Brian comes through with a voice of reason. I'm going to get jett a CHP takagawa 125 direct drive as a backup practice bike. Low maint and wicked fast. I think that will only make him faster on the CVT. we had the build hetrick suggested and have been sorely disappointed honestly his stock bike was faster. This will be good practice for the clutch shifter to come don't you think? I'm just tired of crap going great at practice and south at race time. The CVT days must be numbered. Shifters both 2&4 stroke are the new generation. We won our championship, it's time to bring the fun back into it. I fix bones not pistons dang it!!! We might not finish first, but we're gonna finish with a smile on our faces. Jett PUSHED his quad across the finish line last race. That to me was championship enough!!!

edwardsp&b
12-27-2011, 06:46 AM
Im sure Jett would love that. You said directdrive, is that a clutch driven system? Not understanding what you mean.
Bryan

chunky0071
12-27-2011, 06:52 AM
The direct drive you have to hold the shifter up or down to keep it from pulling and keep the clutch engaged.

jettquad17
12-27-2011, 08:06 AM
The direct drives don't have a clutch lever, as chuck said you hold the shift lever up or down to disengage. It's a happy medium. Jetts just excited to learn something new.

chunky0071
12-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Give us a call when you get it and you can put it down here on flat ground and get him started shifting.

I am fixing to start on Tanners shift but he has a little advantage he rides bikes alot so he has got the shifting down!

edwardsp&b
12-27-2011, 12:29 PM
With him learning on that it will be easier. The clutch doesnt take long to learn, its when to shift or not to shift is the hard part.
Bryan

chunky0071
12-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by edwardsp&b
With him learning on that it will be easier. The clutch doesnt take long to learn, its when to shift or not to shift is the hard part.
Bryan

Your right there Brian the 4 stroke is a little more forgiving than a 2 sstroke on shifting.

Hetrick Racing
12-28-2011, 07:30 AM
This is kinda funny we all went through this same thing a few years back.
When Jeffery Rastrelli was riding a honda for us and Bren Marra was on the cobra the comparison was very close and excellent racing.
I think the little 4 strokes are sweet the problem was they were hard to ride back then .
As with anything else when the kid riding a shifter 4 banger got passed by a cvt guess what dad built next.

I think its all in what we teach our kids and what the divisions are.

example.
Someone told Rastrelli he couldn't beat a Cobra,,,it was on!!! That doesn't happen much these days

asadad00
12-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by jettquad17
And Brian comes through with a voice of reason. I'm going to get jett a CHP takagawa 125 direct drive as a backup practice bike. Low maint and wicked fast. I think that will only make him faster on the CVT. we had the build hetrick suggested and have been sorely disappointed honestly his stock bike was faster. This will be good practice for the clutch shifter to come don't you think? I'm just tired of crap going great at practice and south at race time. The CVT days must be numbered. Shifters both 2&4 stroke are the new generation. We won our championship, it's time to bring the fun back into it. I fix bones not pistons dang it!!! We might not finish first, but we're gonna finish with a smile on our faces. Jett PUSHED his quad across the finish line last race. That to me was championship enough!!!

We also have 3 built cvt's and a built 4-stroke, the kids do not like the 4 stroke they complain its not as fast as the cvt's and their lap times prove it. If your built 2 stroke motor was no faster than your stock then something is wrong because when we installed cylinders and a pipe on ours it was a huge difference I'm talking wheelies and roost everywhere. One of our motors was is a 2fast built by one of the big engine guys and we raced it all year and didn't even put a ring in it so I can't complain about reliability. I hope the 2 strokes are here to stay , you may find when you pull your 4stroke 125 out there with a couple of well built 2fast that its not enough though it may finish every race if your dead last is it worth it ?

jettquad17
12-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Well, I can't imagine it's not going to make him anything but faster on his cvt to run that shifter for fun and practice. I also think he will have an advantage when it comes MOD time. The championship is fun, winning is fun keeping your fingers crossed as a non mechanic is not.

nastynotchback1
12-29-2011, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by asadad00
We also have 3 built cvt's and a built 4-stroke, the kids do not like the 4 stroke they complain its not as fast as the cvt's and their lap times prove it. If your built 2 stroke motor was no faster than your stock then something is wrong because when we installed cylinders and a pipe on ours it was a huge difference I'm talking wheelies and roost everywhere. One of our motors was is a 2fast built by one of the big engine guys and we raced it all year and didn't even put a ring in it so I can't complain about reliability. I hope the 2 strokes are here to stay , you may find when you pull your 4stroke 125 out there with a couple of well built 2fast that its not enough though it may finish every race if your dead last is it worth it ?

There are a couple of well built ones that race with us that have got spanked by our r/t motor

asadad00
12-29-2011, 07:09 AM
I believe you, we have a built RT with Mach-1 pipe that is faster than our 4stroke mod and maybe equal to the 2fast until they get to topend and the 2fast pedals away.

Hetrick Racing
12-30-2011, 07:09 AM
The class structure this year doesnt permit the cvt to race with the four strokes though.

Lap times would be better on a cvt,its easy to give it gas and hold on.

I am not trying to be mean here but i will tell ya one thing.
I put Joel on a shifter when he was 5 he raced nationals from the time he was 6 on and Im pretty sure i did the correct thing.
Put them on the shifter and let them figure out how to make it work,it will pay off in the end.

jettquad17
12-30-2011, 07:37 AM
Well, I will have the best of both worlds, my motor should currently be at the hetrick shop being diagnosed as we speak. And I've decided to go JB mod shifter as a backup practice bike for a while and possibly our primary for next year. Thanks for everyones imput.
Rich...make my mallossi fly!!!!

chunky0071
12-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by jettquad17
Well, I will have the best of both worlds, my motor should currently be at the hetrick shop being diagnosed as we speak. And I've decided to go JB mod shifter as a backup practice bike for a while and possibly our primary for next year. Thanks for everyones imput.
Rich...make my mallossi fly!!!!

What motor are you going with on the JB?

jettquad17
12-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Still in consideration.

Hetrick Racing
12-30-2011, 12:12 PM
Give me a call,Joel won a few races on the mod quads lol

selbygirl
01-02-2012, 05:46 PM
i wouldnt be suprized in years to come that there will be adult cvt class .. for years peaple have bin saying 2 strokes are dying .i think there getting stronger