PDA

View Full Version : Help Testing Stator

quadmad
12-25-2011, 12:20 AM
I got a 1988 R and need to know the spec on the Stator and any info on testing it, etc.... any web links ets would be great.

Cheers

timothypantera
12-26-2011, 12:48 PM
it's hard to test because they will read good on a meter but it will fail under a load i think the best way to test it is on the red n black lead should put out a 12v current check with a test light if you get nothing then def it's no good if you need one i have a good unit i will seperate it if you just need the stator

12-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by timothypantera
it's hard to test because they will read good on a meter but it will fail under a load i think the best way to test it is on the red n black lead should put out a 12v current check with a test light if you get nothing then def it's no good if you need one i have a good unit i will seperate it if you just need the stator

Yup. I've had them test good on the bench with an ohm meter, then even start ok and the braps sounded good with the bike in neutral. But once you took it for a spin the bike would fall on its face at about midrange. Didn't have the juice under a load.

skraut
12-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Amen too that 8686, its a case of they are either good or they are trash, unfortunately. So far I have not had a coil or cdi fail, it has always been the stator.

quadmad
12-28-2011, 03:29 AM
Found the problem..................coil