PDA

View Full Version : should i get this?

400exHondaRider
12-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Sold my honda, and wanting a new quad. I loved my honda but im just ready for something new. Ive had hondas my whole life and had a 450r for a long long time, and im just tired of looking at the same design/features every day. So ive been on craigslist the last two days and found a few, it seems like every ltr around here is a stock 2006 and people want 4000 for it. So ive been looking at this kfx450 http://evansville.craigslist.org/mcy/2727027267.html any thoughts, opinions, things to watch out for on them? Any help on finding my new quad would be much appreciated.

finsteratv
12-24-2011, 09:12 PM
doesnt look to bad. not much of a kawi fan, heard mixed things about them.

400exHondaRider
12-24-2011, 09:21 PM
yea my friend has one and it had some problems. I think most of those where he tried to do the engine work himself and has no clue what hes doing. Since this he has reduced the price to 2700. Im mored worried about the header glowing on them. Ive done some research but not sure of cure. If its just a power commander or what makes them glow? but for the price it might be worth a shot?

Tommy Warren
12-24-2011, 09:34 PM
headers glow due to a stainlees header or lean mixture....a pc will fix it and its not much to worry about...but he has rolled it hense the bent steering stem so u can talk him down a bit

400exHondaRider
12-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Ok cool, any one know what the best pc is for a mix of track and trail? and yea he said he hit a tree while trail riding. Hopefully the plastics and everything are in good shape with no cracks or anything. any things to look out for when going to look at it?

sexysilverado45
12-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Shouldn't need a PC with just a pipe. header glow is common and not a problem as long as its not the stock header. Not sure if hes talking about the stem or the bearing though.

400exHondaRider
12-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by sexysilverado45
Shouldn't need a PC with just a pipe. header glow is common and not a problem as long as its not the stock header. Not sure if hes talking about the stem or the bearing though.
hmm, it has a full fmf pipe on it so im guessing thats whats causing it? he said he clipped a tree trail riding but it has never been raced or flipped. How do you keep the pipe from glowing i think it makes it look like your quads not running right. He said it only glows at night? or mayge thats only when he can tell?

sexysilverado45
12-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Ya it only glows at nite we run 4 kfxs. They range from built Walsh motors to just the big 3 and they all do it even though they are dyno tuned. We have had the absoulte best luck with kawi nothing major has happened in 3+ years. Also very tough machines. I cart wheeled mine at about 4ft in 4th gear pinned and the frame and subframe were fine. Just have to stay up on maintenance. Thats a good price too.

400exHondaRider
12-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Yea the price was reduced to 2700, what do you think i could talk him down to because of the stem?

Tommy Warren
12-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by 400exHondaRider
Yea the price was reduced to 2700, what do you think i could talk him down to because of the stem?
start at 23 if you get it for 25 its angood deal...check for play in the axle and a-arms...if he hit a tree look for bent a-arms and tie rods also check the frame out really good for bends or cracked welds

hondaracer_34
12-25-2011, 08:17 AM
For more information on what you want to know about the KFX's, go to www.kfx450hq.com. Stand the quad on its grab bar to get a better look at the frame to see if its bent, along with anything else.

400exHondaRider
12-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Ok, thanks for the help guys itll be monday or tues before i can go look at it, but ill keep you guys posted on what happens.

ZBlaster
12-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I was provided an 08 KFX450R to race in a winter series in 09. It has Tiexera Tech upper arms, DeRisi revalves, Holeshots, FMF exhaust, FuelATV intake, FMF fuel controller, QuadTech seat, skids, etc. It was a comfortable quad... but an absolute dog power wise. Slow starts which for an XC race can really get you behind first thing, and it seemed to have a VERY weak charging system (Quad had less than an hour on it when it was brought to me). After 4 races we loaded it on the trailer, went to unload it and it wouldn't start. Fi light would flash and nothing. Checked the TOS and it was fine, took it back to the shop who loaned it and they couldn't figure it out. No idea where it is now.

suspension101
12-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Better stick with a Honda. You will regret buying anything else!

400exHondaRider
12-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Hmm, could you just get a battery with more cca?

ZBlaster
12-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Hmm, could you just get a battery with more cca?

There are some fixes out there, we just never bothered to fix that one. I know Yokely had his starting relatively fast back in the day. I usually run stronger towards the end of the race anyway so I just left it.

400exHondaRider
12-26-2011, 04:33 PM
Well i went to look at it today, and mechanically its great, it was pretty muddy, but ran good. The plastics were pretty scratched up on it, so i would get new plastics and the stem and i think it would be a pretty solid kfx needed to washed really bad though. What do you guys think i should offer him. I would need plastics a stem, and probably get a new air filter for it just to be safe.

quad2xtreme
12-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Well i went to look at it today, and mechanically its great, it was pretty muddy, but ran good. The plastics were pretty scratched up on it, so i would get new plastics and the stem and i think it would be a pretty solid kfx needed to washed really bad though. What do you guys think i should offer him. I would need plastics a stem, and probably get a new air filter for it just to be safe.

I wouldn't buy a quad from someone who didn't even take the time to wash before selling.

derekhonda
12-26-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
I wouldn't buy a quad from someone who didn't even take the time to wash before selling.

x2. Or if I was still even considering it i'd ask him if i could go wash it first, you'll start seeing more where pc is chipped, oil might be leaking, frame re-welds, etc.

CJM
12-26-2011, 08:06 PM
I surely would buy a dirty muddy quad, but Id offer the guy 500 or more dollars less than he wants.

400exHondaRider
12-26-2011, 08:06 PM
well it wasnt so much as muddy as it was just dirt and dust, he had just sprayed it off before i got there, not with a power washer or soap and water just enought to make it presentable.

quad2xtreme
12-26-2011, 08:31 PM
My concern is too lazy to change steering stem + too lazy to properly clean = guy who didn't change oil or clean air filter either. Hard to tell what you are getting yourself into.

400exHondaRider
12-26-2011, 08:41 PM
I work at a kawasaki dealership, do you think there are any leftover 2008 models, what kinda price would be on them out the door?