PDA

View Full Version : Head light

B.Rich108
12-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Hey guys i love the look of the headlight cover that is real dark, almost black, but i do some nighht riding, especially in the snow, and was wondering how much it would affect the brightness of the light. If i went with the dark cover, should i get the HID lights for it or yas think ill be ok with the stock bulbs? I have an 07 btw.

Stickman400
12-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Im just guessing but with stock bulbs and a dark cover you wouldnt see much. HIDs are a huge improvement over stock, but with that cover they will probably drop your total output down to around stock bulbs and no cover, and you may risk melting it or your headlight housing because they get hot. So you prolly wouldnt gain much. Id say get HIDs and then take the cover off when you need your lights.

B.Rich108
12-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Thats a great idea to take the cover off. Is i havent looked into the cover yet but is it just that, a coverthat pops on over the stock headlight?

Stickman400
12-24-2011, 06:00 PM
From the ones I have seen they are. I know people that use spray on tinting on their headlights, but that's just because they knew they weren't gunna use their headlight.

CJM
12-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
From the ones I have seen they are. I know people that use spray on tinting on their headlights, but that's just because they knew they weren't gunna use their headlight.

Friend of mine did that to his lights, they were pretty dang dark and he had no issues with them at night.

FWIW even with stock totally unmodded lights they suck in the dark if you ride to fast. Sooner or later Im gonna work up a handlebar mount and put some nice leds on there. THat way as you turn the light goes with ya!

B.Rich108
12-25-2011, 10:54 AM
sounds good. If i could find the cover that would be awesome, but I can't find them anywhere...

greencow
12-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Hey where can i find one of these headlight covers?

bthompson
12-25-2011, 06:53 PM
http://www.jokersracing.com/content-product_info/product_id-17597/honda_trx_400ex_colored_plastic_headlight_covers.h tml

B.Rich108
12-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll be ordering one in the morning:D But I wonder what it would look like in the red with black plastics...

Newt327
12-25-2011, 11:39 PM
I just don't see the point, i mean I’m all about my quad looking nice and all but I’m a big believer in form follows function. To spend $42 on something that won’t work at night and will most likely be covered with mud a lot of the time seems senseless. But that's just my opinion, to each his own i guess. I'm sure it looks nice though on a blacked out 400ex when it's nice and clean.

btw, I did the HID conversion on my 400ex and for the money, it's a much better mod than this cover. Once of the best mods I’ve ever made to it, makes the stock bulbs look like crap.

B.Rich108
12-26-2011, 09:48 AM
I get where you're coming from, but you could say the same about stickers and graphics kits. Who doesnt want their quad to look good? It just depends on HOW good you want it to look. Thats why they male everything in multiple colors. But I will be getting the HIDs and whenever I'm riding at night, I'll just take that cover off.

bthompson
12-26-2011, 09:28 PM
everyone has their own opinion on what looks good...me personally i have an all white plastic with no stickers and i painted my frame white with chrome upper a-arms, just really clean and im going to put some 35% tint over the headlight with the hids in

it won't take much to darken up the headlight since there isn't any other areas that light can get into it, so if you want to do it id say do it

Newt327
12-28-2011, 03:00 PM
You wont believe the difference the HID lights make. If you do any night riding at all I highly reccomend it.