PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Schools: UNOH?

Hondamaster5505
12-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Just recently I enrolled in the University of Northwestern Ohio. I'll be starting in August. I am just looking to see if anyone here has attended this school and what they think about it? If it was worth it?

I'm going for two different majors, Automotive, and High-Performance Technician, with my Associates degree.

It all started with me being interested in going to UTI. Until further research, showed that most people were dissapointed with UTI and that they were way overpriced. So my friend who is also going to UNOH, told me about it and got me interested. From what I read, many more people had success with them.

For the same price of about 28,000 give or take, UTI has one program and only a year of school. UNOH, im getting dual majors AND my Associates for a total of 2-2 1/2 years at the same cost. The classes are less rushed and more focused, and many things just seem much better.

So im just looking for any insight on if anybody has attended here and how it was.

CJM
12-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Never went there so cant comment. Friend of mine went thru the diesel basics and lexus/toyota program thru UTI in PA. He liked it alot and finished up pretty quick, hes now going on being a tech for 2 years at toyota.

Word of the wise-even if you think you want to be a mechanic Id highly suggest you get to work at a shop pronto and figure out if you really like it or not. Im a mechanic/tow operator. I DESPISE working on cars these days and would rather tow even if the hours are horrible and Im exposed to the elements. Dealers want you to work warranty till you move up in seniority in like 2-5 years (warranty work pays MUCH less than flatrate-you also lose money on flatrate if you take longer to do the job then its spec'd for) and an independant shop just doesnt pay enough.

FWIW another friend of mine is a tech for honda and has worked his way up for 10 years. Hes a great mechanic and makes decent money-but even for a master tech with 10 years of expierance in NJ hes only making 60k-which isnt a whole lot.

The real money is in custom work, but in order to do that you need a good bit of expierance and find the right job.

The above is the whole reason I went back to school to get my BA and become something else. But I hope it works out for ya.

Hondamaster5505
12-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Never went there so cant comment. Friend of mine went thru the diesel basics and lexus/toyota program thru UTI in PA. He liked it alot and finished up pretty quick, hes now going on being a tech for 2 years at toyota.

Word of the wise-even if you think you want to be a mechanic Id highly suggest you get to work at a shop pronto and figure out if you really like it or not. Im a mechanic/tow operator. I DESPISE working on cars these days and would rather tow even if the hours are horrible and Im exposed to the elements. Dealers want you to work warranty till you move up in seniority in like 2-5 years (warranty work pays MUCH less than flatrate-you also lose money on flatrate if you take longer to do the job then its spec'd for) and an independant shop just doesnt pay enough.

FWIW another friend of mine is a tech for honda and has worked his way up for 10 years. Hes a great mechanic and makes decent money-but even for a master tech with 10 years of expierance in NJ hes only making 60k-which isnt a whole lot.

The real money is in custom work, but in order to do that you need a good bit of expierance and find the right job.

The above is the whole reason I went back to school to get my BA and become something else. But I hope it works out for ya.

Well here's the thing, I don't plan on being an actual mechanic. My main goal and what im determined to do, is custom work like you said. I was originally just going to go for the High-Performance tech, but my friend convinced me to go for both, as it looks a lot better on my record if I have both standard automotive AND high-performance. It shows that I am capable in both fields.

UNOH is partnered with companies like Roush and others. I want to work for some kind of performance shop or company.

And I can always go back for business management in case I decided I want to go like a manager route.

Pappy
12-24-2011, 01:24 PM
19 years in the auto field, managers are mechanics that sucked LOL

I have friends that earn well over $100k a year turning wreches, good field of work that can be expanded upon most anywhere

scottproquad
12-24-2011, 03:50 PM
I started in the army after my 4yrs in that I got a job in a dealer 15yrs later i started up my own shop! 2 yrs later going strong and looking to expand! Great job to get into as long as you never give up and keep striving to learn new ways of fixing cars and not get stuck and frustated. Cause all cars suck to work on sometimes! good luck

Hondamaster5505
12-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by scottproquad
I started in the army after my 4yrs in that I got a job in a dealer 15yrs later i started up my own shop! 2 yrs later going strong and looking to expand! Great job to get into as long as you never give up and keep striving to learn new ways of fixing cars and not get stuck and frustated. Cause all cars suck to work on sometimes! good luck

You went to UNOH? Or you just got a job and went from there?

Ruby Soho
12-24-2011, 04:57 PM
i was going to do the same. but for aviation. thats where the real money, and the nice mechanic work is.

however, i enjoy wrenching. its a hobby of mine, and if i did it for a living i would hate it. basic auto schooling would be a waste for someone like me as well, as i grew up around it and already know my way around the stuff.. but nobody hires a kid without a piece of paper saying he sat in a classroom and was told how to take an engine apart.

but, like cjm said, get a job in a shop and see how you like it. it does get frustrating at times, with LOTS of repetitive work. and your going to have to get some serious years of experience doing the bull**** to make any money as a custom builder. dont think your going to get out of school and be jesse james.

just my .02 cents. i was just in your shoes a few years ago.

protraxrptr17
12-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Pappy

I have friends that earn well over $100k a year turning wreches, good field of work that can be expanded upon most anywhere

^^^ What he said. Also, some idependents pay more than dealerships. I could pay more than a dealership if i could find somebody qualified. And around here a good mechanic can make way more than a manager. The manager is just there so the customers have an *** to chew on.

CJM
12-24-2011, 11:59 PM
Agreed with everyone about the managers, they are just idiots-along with the service writers.

As for the custom work, like getting in with rousch or whatever-maybe there are some spots, probably at least 100+ other people vying for that same spot.

Let me explain to you the path Ive been down so far:
-Grew up fixing anything and everything, Im extremely handy and capable

-In HS I basic and advanced auto classes. I dropped out of it for a few reasons, but namely cause its HS and the rest of the kids just goofed off. It was a full fledged auto tech program like UTI or similar.

-Got a job working as the gopher at a shop. I learned the basics again and the old school ways of how to do stuff without all the fancy arse tools and diagnostic stuff. It was ok but not great, I did enjoy learning. I worked my way up to whats classified as a "B" level tech Id guess Being certified is a joke btw-just means on paper you answered the right questions and seem to know wtf your doing, just cause you got a paper and it says ASE certified dont mean a thing. Ive seen guys have it and not have a clue how to do it for real.

-What sucked about shop work:
-Very repetitive, believe me when I tell ya, after 3 months you will have done so many fluid changes, rad changes, diagnostic work that youc an do it blindfolded upsidedown while being waterboarded.
-Annoying, you fix the problem you thought it was (and it might very well be), but now something else is wrong, you cant figure out the problem, the solutions you try (and you try alot of them) dont work out for ya. IE: Rad filled with milkshake like substance. Do HG and change rad out and flush. Does it again, customer very mad-turns out block has crack in it, custom even more mad he now needs engine. You diagnosed as HG-which was bad of course but...well you get where Im going.
-Flatrate SUCKS if you dont finish the job in the allotted time. So if it calls for 4 hours thats what you get paid for even if you spend DOUBLE that doing the job.
-Upselling sucks, dealerships are notorious for this. Many customers will say ok go ahead but many more will see thru the BS and cause a stink. But the dealer makes money on this stuff so you gotta do it.
-Warranty work comes in, you the lowest guy gets it, it pays less b/c the dealers doing the work for free for the customer.

-Switched to towing, the hours arent as good but the pays better and people tip you. The work is 100X easier but you tend to have to work in the weather and whatnot. I dont mind it really, my boss cant watch me 24/7 besides gps, I can go where I want when I want so long as Im not needed for service and stay in my designated area and it keeps you quite busy so 8-12 hours go by REAL quick. I now mostly do roadside service, super easy and the pays pretty dang good. How many people can say they made 100 bucks in 1 night (not including tips) for basically working maybe 4 of those hours-I dont count my drivetime as work either.

Can you and will you eventually open your own shop or get hired someplace like saleen or whatever? Sure! But the chances arent all that great. Id guesstimate overall 2% chance of custom places like rousch or such looking at ya unless your really good at what you do and opening your own shop requires ALOT of capital.

The above is why I basically went back to school and will work for law enforcement in some capacity. Govt job means pension, pension means in 20 years I can retire and get alot of cash, govt job means I get paid holidays, vacation, sick/personnel says and in some cases a 4 day work week. Yes the hours will suck, yea it can be dangerous in my chosen field. But right off the bat Im making at least 45k a year to start. Want to guess what my friend makes whose been working for toyota for 3 years now-30k a year and hes making maybe 15/hr.

Not saying its a bad field, but your dreams of being a custom guy might not pan out all that well. You GOTTA be super good at whatever it is you decide to specialize in. Me-I could open a 4wd custom shop up tomorrow if I had the cash and a few employees that were knowledgeable, 4wd/front suspensions and brakes is my specialty. For others it might be bodywork, engines, etc.

Ruby Soho
12-25-2011, 06:00 AM
CJM, you pretty much hit the nail on the head:p

Hondamaster5505
12-25-2011, 08:00 AM
I appreciate all the advice and guidance guys.

I know it would be very difficult to get hooked up with one of the large people like Roush. My whole view here is I've always wanted to learn the performance aspect of things 100% anyway. Even if it's for future projects of my own, knowing the tuning software and all this other stuff would help greatly. I figure while I try and find a job, that involves the performance aspect of things, I can do little side jobs for local people like tuning cars and such. And eventually, there are a few local performance shops in the area I can try working at.

It's gonna be a long road. lol

CJM
12-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks Ruby.

Also wanted to add: The work physically beats your body up. Contorting all day long working on a car you will have bad joints and arthritis by the time your 35-45 years old.

Good luck with your career Hondamaster, I hope it works out for ya!

Black Sheep
12-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Pappy

Funny, I thought the same thing about moto photographers :devil:

seriously though,

you guys need to get off the manager bashing...

started out working on my own bikes, then I went to work for a Honda dealership, then a performance shop, then YEP you guessed it SERVICE MANAGER!!! Now I own my own shop and build customes.

I guess I suck as a mechanic :blah:

CJM
12-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
Funny, I thought the same thing about moto photographers :devil:

seriously though,

you guys need to get off the manager bashing...

started out working on my own bikes, then I went to work for a Honda dealership, then a performance shop, then YEP you guessed it SERVICE MANAGER!!! Now I own my own shop and build customes.

I guess I suck as a mechanic :blah:

Not everyone fits the stereotype-but your also in the world of bikes-not cars.

400exc
12-25-2011, 05:23 PM
I graduated from UNOH back in June with a associates in Diesel Tech. I also only live 20 min. away from the school. Great school with in depth classes, but some classes skip some of the needed things in the mechanical world. Great school, great environment, and good atmosphere. A lot of kids say they don't like the school or location because there isn't anything to do, but yet they never go out and try to find new friends or try to have a good time. I loved going to the school and learned a lot.

scottproquad
12-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Not telling what to do or bad mouthing any schools. But Id save your money and just try to get into a dealer and start by changing oil and grow from there and show intrest. The dealer will send to to schools on there dime. Basicly its all about experance in the automotive world. Just cause you come outa schools with a paper saying you graduated and you think you can fix anything you still wont get in as a lead tech and most of theses kids still start as a oil changer. So just some info for ya. Its been a great carrier for me and theres alot of cars out there on the road and someone needs to fix them.

buck440
12-25-2011, 08:31 PM
man this thread is a boner kill. maby i don't want to be a mechanic anymore lol.

Hondamaster5505
12-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by scottproquad
Not telling what to do or bad mouthing any schools. But Id save your money and just try to get into a dealer and start by changing oil and grow from there and show intrest. The dealer will send to to schools on there dime. Basicly its all about experance in the automotive world. Just cause you come outa schools with a paper saying you graduated and you think you can fix anything you still wont get in as a lead tech and most of theses kids still start as a oil changer. So just some info for ya. Its been a great carrier for me and theres alot of cars out there on the road and someone needs to fix them.

That's the thing though, I don't want to be an auto mechanic. The whole thing I was originally planning on going for was the Performance aspect of it, I am only taking the general automotive course so I can get the whole experience while im out there. My main focus is the performance aspect of it, the automotive is just an extra for me. Learning both can only help.

CJM
12-25-2011, 10:28 PM
^ You gotta know more than just the basics tho. All the classroom instruction in the world wont help you in the long run if you dont have a bit more than the basics and work in the field. Cant just waltz into say JDM engineering (renowned ford tuners/engine builders, I know the owner, his dad and a few of his employees for a LONG TIME) http://www.teamjdm.com/ and expect them to hire you, well maybe as the shop gopher if your lucky. Trust me when I say this, Jim Jr (JDM owner) would probably tell you to go gain more expierance and come back in 5 years. Heres his story how he got started and how he got to where he is today..notice he says he started at the bottom.. http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/ten-questions-jim-d-amore-2863.html and what sets him apart was he had no formal schooling, just expierance and he figured everything out himself pretty much along the way. Its exactly how I and many others I know started, schooling be damned we learned from what I like to call "the school of hard knocks" In that (yes I know its a bad cliche) but you learn from your mistakes and do your research till you get it working right.

Telling ya man, what the school says and what will actually happen when you finish is 2 very different things. Ex: Im going to become a cop with my BS in crim justice, but that doesnt guarantee I even get into a police department unless I go to the academy, do well and then pass a probation period and then i start at the bottom. Notice my other post I made where I described in detail how I am now a tow operator? Notice that even with schooling it didnt get me to far? Notice my friend is making the same wages as I am as a toyota tech-yet he spent money and time in a school. I mean really, I went to school for mechanics, I worked in a shop, I even went to AAA for many classes and I have 10+ years of being in the field and Im even specialized in a few areas and Im becoming a cop-whats that tell you about the current automotive field.

Im not trying to be a jerk but the reality is its not gonna go quite exactly as the school claims. Another friend of mine went thru as a honda tech, he had to start as a oil change monkey and it took 3 years to become a full fledged mechanic due to seniority and inexpierance.

Ill break it down for ya: you go to school and grad, unless your one of the very lucky few your job afterwards probably will be at a dealer, pepboys, a local type shop or you might be bagging groceries b/c you cant even find a job in the field.

Once you finally get a job count on being there for a minimum of a year or better to gain expierance. From there maybe in a year or so something might open up in a specialized shop. But considering most are quite selective and look for someone with exceptional knowledge and expierance on the subject, they usually go for the guy whose been wrenching for the better part of at least 5 years. I mean its not like jesse james is gonna hire you after you worked at a honda dealer or something for 5 years. OCC didnt get to where they were overnight by making bikes-they had day jobs, jesse james took YEARS to get where he was.

Really man look at the reality of it all. I know your just a kid and all and you got dreams, but be more realistic. Cause Im telling ya if you dont wind up at a dealer or pepboys after your done with school Ill be shocked. All the classroom instruction in the world doesnt give you the expierance that the companies want.

Good luck with whatever you wind up doing.

Hondamaster5505
12-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by CJM
^ You gotta know more than just the basics tho. All the classroom instruction in the world wont help you in the long run if you dont have a bit more than the basics and work in the field. Cant just waltz into say JDM engineering (renowned ford tuners/engine builders, I know the owner, his dad and a few of his employees for a LONG TIME) http://www.teamjdm.com/ and expect them to hire you, well maybe as the shop gopher if your lucky. Trust me when I say this, Jim Jr (JDM owner) would probably tell you to go gain more expierance and come back in 5 years. Heres his story how he got started and how he got to where he is today..notice he says he started at the bottom.. http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/ten-questions-jim-d-amore-2863.html and what sets him apart was he had no formal schooling, just expierance and he figured everything out himself pretty much along the way. Its exactly how I and many others I know started, schooling be damned we learned from what I like to call "the school of hard knocks" In that (yes I know its a bad cliche) but you learn from your mistakes and do your research till you get it working right.

Telling ya man, what the school says and what will actually happen when you finish is 2 very different things. Ex: Im going to become a cop with my BS in crim justice, but that doesnt guarantee I even get into a police department unless I go to the academy, do well and then pass a probation period and then i start at the bottom. Notice my other post I made where I described in detail how I am now a tow operator? Notice that even with schooling it didnt get me to far? Notice my friend is making the same wages as I am as a toyota tech-yet he spent money and time in a school. I mean really, I went to school for mechanics, I worked in a shop, I even went to AAA for many classes and I have 10+ years of being in the field and Im even specialized in a few areas and Im becoming a cop-whats that tell you about the current automotive field.

Im not trying to be a jerk but the reality is its not gonna go quite exactly as the school claims. Another friend of mine went thru as a honda tech, he had to start as a oil change monkey and it took 3 years to become a full fledged mechanic due to seniority and inexpierance.

Ill break it down for ya: you go to school and grad, unless your one of the very lucky few your job afterwards probably will be at a dealer, pepboys, a local type shop or you might be bagging groceries b/c you cant even find a job in the field.

Once you finally get a job count on being there for a minimum of a year or better to gain expierance. From there maybe in a year or so something might open up in a specialized shop. But considering most are quite selective and look for someone with exceptional knowledge and expierance on the subject, they usually go for the guy whose been wrenching for the better part of at least 5 years. I mean its not like jesse james is gonna hire you after you worked at a honda dealer or something for 5 years. OCC didnt get to where they were overnight by making bikes-they had day jobs, jesse james took YEARS to get where he was.

Really man look at the reality of it all. I know your just a kid and all and you got dreams, but be more realistic. Cause Im telling ya if you dont wind up at a dealer or pepboys after your done with school Ill be shocked. All the classroom instruction in the world doesnt give you the expierance that the companies want.

Good luck with whatever you wind up doing.

I do appreciate all the backround. It's nice to hear from actual people in the field.
The school DOES have job placement, which might help a little.

I know I have big dreams but, without big dreams you won't get anywhere. I do have quite a bit of natural experience in this type of stuff and all I can do is try, and work my way up haha.

Ruby Soho
12-26-2011, 08:08 AM
like people always say, you can do anything if you want to. its just this is a cruel world, and 9/10 times your dreams will get burnt. not saying you shouldn't try though.

another thing to think about is economy, right now its hurting, aftermarket and high performance industries aren't doing the best right now. you probably are better off working at a dealer doing the BS and getting some years under the belt, and then if you ever get that opportunity to get into a high performance shop, take it.

CJM
12-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I do appreciate all the backround. It's nice to hear from actual people in the field.
The school DOES have job placement, which might help a little.

I know I have big dreams but, without big dreams you won't get anywhere. I do have quite a bit of natural experience in this type of stuff and all I can do is try, and work my way up haha.

I hear ya, and theres nothing wrong with having dreams-gotta aspire to be something ya know?

Good luck in your endeavor :)

Hondamaster5505
12-26-2011, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I hear ya, and theres nothing wrong with having dreams-gotta aspire to be something ya know?

Good luck in your endeavor :)

Thanks!

It's also one of those things that, even if I don't make a profession of it, it's stuff I always wanted to learn anyway. So I can use everything I learn in my own personal life in the future.

So I don't really see it as a waste even if I end up going to a local college later on in life for a different profession.